Days Three and Four


On day two, we actually drove down to Dallas to spend the day with some family before heading out again on day three. This time we drove a bit west to visit a bucket list stop for my wife, Waco, Texas and home of the Gaines family. I'm sure many of you know who I am referring too especially if you watch home renovation shows. 

When my wife asked if we could stop there, I put my foot down and told her we would stop there if she wanted, and so we did. It was a huge tourist trap as I figured it would be and full of people like us on spring break. There were huge lines to get in the more popular places which we skipped and just walked around for awhile, enjoying the sites and eating lunch from provided food trucks.


I do recognize that they put a lot of work into making it a family friendly place, I assume to extend the length of time one stays there and most likely maximize their revenue. This included lots of artificial turf areas for kids to frolic and perhaps play a pickup came of whiffle ball.


Rather than wait in line to enter some of the buildings, we drove a few miles further west to a much less populated site that contains the largest concentration of Columbian Mammoth bones being dug out of the earth. I learned there that Columbian Mammoths were much bigger than their wooly counterparts. Not only were there mammoth bones, mostly juvenile and some adults, but also those from a camel and a saber tooth tiger cub. Scientists originally thought they died during a catastrophic flood but technology revealed the bones to be much older and not they suspect it may have been due to a drought. Regardless of the method, it is the only nursery herd bones that have been found in North America.


The kids really "dug" the place and so did I. It made me want to get a shovel and start excavating my own backyard. 


It was an even better site because it had some hiking trails which were deserted for us to enjoy.


From Waco we headed north again to Oklahoma City so we could see a few more attractions we hadn't gotten to on the first evening there. One of the more interesting stops was the Museum of Osteology. It was a warehouse out in an industrial zone chalk full of skeletons (almost entirely real except for a few noted exceptions), posed in various positions.


For some reason, bird skeletons always fascinate me, I guess because they look some different than mammal skeletons.


My kids were really fascinated with the preserved 4 month embryo seen above. 


Along with this nearly full term skeleton. They spent quite awhile gazing at both of these exhibits.


A hippopotamus skull, which I'm pretty confident, would have had extremely bad breath had it been living and I was stupid enough to be this close to the face.


This cobra skeleton really fascinated me mostly because of the lack of head structure. It is essentially all ribs with some fancy ribs on the head end.


 I have seen lots of turkey skeletons missing the head, neck and feet which is why I found it neat to see one in entirety. 

Comments

  1. I don't know who the Gaines family is, but the skeletons (both in the ground and on exhibit) are fascinating. I especially like the raccoon digging around in the box of Milk Duds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a home renovation show called “Fixer Upper” that became a hit which resulted in them now having their own cable channel, “Magnolia Channel” and completely changing the coarse of history for the town of Waco.

      Delete
  2. What a find! I had no idea, but given the shifting of continents, it shouldn’t come as a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about the mammoths and the saber tooths and the camel I vaguely remembered used to habitate North America but had forgotten until I saw the bones being dug out of the dirt.

      Delete
  3. I'm Gaines ignorant too, but I think if I still watched TV that program would be something I'd be interested in. Even so, gotta love a place with plenty of room for kids to run and play.

    The skeleton collection is especially fascinating. I can't imagine being tasked with putting one together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't missing much. Their show was more about entertainment than showing someone how to fix up houses. I don't think it is on the air anymore anyway. Last time I heard, she had her own cable channel and had a cooking show on it.

      Delete
  4. My God, all these awesome bones! They are fascinating,I liked that bird one too. Also that pair of silos at the top, great photos Ed. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching an episode when they bought the silos and were going to turn them into a restaurant. Instead, they ended up turning everything else around the silos into businesses and as far as I know, the silos are still just rusting pieces of metal.

      Delete
    2. I can't explain it, but now I like them even more!

      Delete
  5. I would be much more into the archeology than the Gaines tourist trap. I know who they are but have 0 interest in them. The skeletons were fascinating! The snake one was beautiful. I find turkeys creepy and scary. I do like eating some at Thanksgiving though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look a bit more creepy with neck, head and lower leg bones attached.

      Delete
  6. Greetings from Hawaii. I think your trip so far is quite amazing. Interesting bones to view. And I do like that art shop in your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to find something to capture my interest no matter where my feet take me.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I thought so too. I probably have 50 photos I didn’t post but also found interesting.

      Delete
  8. I was totally stunned with the stuff in the "Bone Museum." Their preparation to clean the skeletons is pretty nifty with the bugs eating away tissue. Their catalog has tons of real and plastic skeletons. (Real is much more expensive.) I bought a few to put in a carry case for my son when he was going through vet school. Linda in Kansas (once upon a time in Oklahoma.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t buy any but we did collect a smashed penny souvenir per our habit when available.

      Delete
  9. Completely fascinating Ed. Thanks for sharing. I literally had no idea such things existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t either. When I settle on an area to visit, I do google searches to see what is there when this came up. Otherwise I would still be unaware of it.

      Delete
  10. Lots of bones! I wouldn't know what to do in Waco, except maybe see the charred remains of the Branch Davidian sect.

    In the Natural History museum at the University of Texas there is a huge prehistoric bird that hangs in an open area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually looked into the Branch Dividians but according to the web it was gated off and open by appointment only. Since we didn’t have a schedule, we passed.

      Delete
  11. What a fascinating leg of your trip! The cobra skeleton is wonderful, as is your caption on the hippo photo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is certainly off the beaten path at times.

      Delete
  12. I did leave a comment here on Friday (which appeared to go through on my end), but that okay. Since then I met a friend who lives in OKC for coffee and was able to ask her if she knew about the bone museum. She said yes and to come visit if I wanted to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have fat fingered it on my iPad which I use during the weekends when the rest of my family commandeer my desktop computer in my office. Sometimes they checkmark to publish a comment and the delete trashcan are just too close together. But I did check the spam folder and didn't see anything there. I hate that you have a hard time commenting on here but since you know my email address, if you would rather use that, you are more than welcome.

      You should visit the bone museum. I wouldn't make a special trip since it is only about an hour stop to see everything comfortably but if in the vicinity, definitely worth it.

      Delete
  13. Chip and Joanna made those silos famous! I bet the Museum of Osteology was more fun than shopping:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it definitely was and I think the kids enjoyed it too.

      Perhaps the Gaines can turn the silos into a parking garage as due to the fame of their places in Waco, parking looked to be tough if you came late.

      Delete
  14. That turkey skeleton looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen lots of turkey skeletons sans head, neck and lower legs so it looked really novel to see an entire one.

      Delete
  15. Looks to me like you and your family enjoy the same sort of places we do. We love museums. I'm kind of remembering Alexa saying that the US is where the most fossil bones have been found. I looked online and it said US, Argentina and China.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment