Day One


This trip started off with the premise that we hadn't seen much of Oklahoma. We've been along the east side of the state on our way to and from Dallas where we have family but have never explored much of the rest of the state. So we set off south without any real definitive plans but a list of places we would like to see if in "the vicinity." 

Our first stop was at the National Memorial, site of the infamous bombing of the Murray Federal Building. In the photo above, the street was turned into a reflecting pool and the chairs in the grassy area to the right are memorials to the victims set in the remains of the building's footprint. 


It was a very touching memorial, especially when one gazes upon the small chairs representing the children that died in the blast. Many had change laid upon them and a quick tabulation of the amounts, told me many were to symbolize how many years had passed since their deaths, i.e. many had 26 cents to denote the 26 years since the bombing.


The chairs were arranged in rows to denote the floor the person worked on and in groups to denote offices. One solitary row of five, denoted the people who died outside of the building in the blast, something I had never heard or really thought about.


The remains of the Murray building's foundation were still around parts of the memorial.


Across the street was a large American Elm tree, heavily damaged in the blast but was able to survive. It is now denoted as the Survivor Tree.


Graffiti left by a rescue squad in that aftermath of the explosion that is still visible today.

We arrived at the Memorial to late too get tickets to enter into the museum but I wasn't too broken up about that. I still have the memory of that day and subsequent days of rescue and shared them with my kids who took the initiative later to read up on the subject. 


Due to Covid restrictions, we had to purchase tickets to this next place and then wait an hour before we were allowed to enter this funky artist shop. We walked across the street to eat at a burger joint, (more on that in a future post) and then were allowed in after masking up and sanitizing.


I'm not sure how to describe this place. It essentially is an art piece you can walk into and experience, touch and interact with. It was made by a group of artists and divided off into areas though the boundaries were really blurred. We essentially just wandered here and there enjoying the experience and letting the kids roam.


There were no signs or explanations of what you were looking at so one had to just use your imagination.


Sometimes I had to take a step back to even really understand what I was looking at and even then, I wasn't sure what it meant such as this flower growing up through the laces of a giant boot.


Blurry picture of a room with popcorn all over the wall.


Towards the end of the experience, there was a room comprised mostly of paper fish that visitors had colored and added to the display to make you feel like you were among a populated reef.


Including a shark on patrol above.


 Finally I thought I would leave you with some graffiti my youngest left on the paper covered tables where we colored our fish to add to the display. Seems she was excited for an upcoming stop we had promised her.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the tour! I wasn't aware that a memorial even exists at the site of the federal building, so it's good to see that. The reflecting pond is beautiful and the chairs really are touching. The art installation is intriguing -- the whole thing (from your photos, anyway) looks very aquatic. Except maybe the boot and the popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I vaguely knew there was some sort of memorial but I wasn't prepared for the scope or the beauty of it all. It shocked me when we arrived and found it was far larger than I had imagined. As far as memorials go, I think they did a very excellent job.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Great photos Ed, thanks for sharing. Loved the interactive art, I think I have spots in my eyes! 😄. On a more somber note, your photos of the Oklahoma bombing memorial were moving. All those innocent deaths... I'll never understand McVeigh's logic there. Anyway, I always enjoy your vacations. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest asked why he had done such a thing and I was at a loss of words too. I finally told her that it is impossible for rational people like herself and I (and you too Doug), to make sense of what irrational people sometimes do.

      Delete
  3. It seems there is more to see in Oklahoma than I had thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen very little of Oklahoma, so I'm excited about taking this trip "with you"! The museum looks fun, if not a little odd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That memorial looks incredible; I'm with John that there is more to see in Oklahoma than I realized. That exhibit you visited sounds a lot like Meow Wolf in Santa Fe (created by George R.R. Martin) It's part escape room, part art installation. I enjoyed it but one visit was enough. Did you feel the same about this place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah one visit was certainly enough. It would not be something I would ever go back too, unless they redid the entire place.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by the OKC memorial. It was hard watching my hometown be hit like that. The blast was so strong, most windows in buildings for blocks around shattered. My suburban high school had steel doors, about 18 miles away. The teachers reported that the blast caused the steel doors to open and shut, even that far away. It happened in April. I visited in July, and the sidewalks and streets were imbedded with little sparkles of glass. My Dad was a physician and volunteered to help, but when he didn't get a call, he knew the site was bad. One orthopaedic surgeon friend was of tiny stature. That doc was able to get in and crawl to a woman whose leg was trapped. She survived after the required amputation. A nurse went into the building to try and help and was hit with falling debris and she later died. Workers and the entire town were just traumatized by what happened. There's still the unknown bad guy that had the baseball cap on who was never found. My grade school son knew about his grandparents just visiting that building to start their social security. I'm ever grateful to the school nurse who pulled him out of class at my request to tell him his grandparents were ok, before he heard it on the news during school. One friend worked in that building. I called her; she was ok because she had taken off work. So much evil is lurking in our own country. I wish there was a better way to stop it. Each of those chairs have a light under them and it's really beautiful at night and when the grass is green. The inside museum is worth it, but the outside so much better. Linda, now in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for adding your personal experiences. It makes it all the more meaningful.

      Delete
  7. Ed, my time in Oklahoma has generally been in the southern and central part of the state. That said, I think Oklahoma is actually a pretty underrated state for natural beauty.

    Thanks for sharing the Murray Federal Building Memorial. I remember that day all too well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to go out to the panhandle area sometime as I hear it is quite desolate out that way. Last year I did travel through it upon Highway 54 but didn't have time to stop. This time I didn't make it out that way but perhaps on another.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic photos Ed. I'm another one who doesn't know much about Oklahoma. You picked some interesting things to see! I've never seen photos of the memorial, so I especially appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years, I hadn't seen or really heard talk of the Memorial either. I have a big map of where I've been in my head and although I can never make it everywhere, I do like having a general idea of the natural landscape of an area. So this trip filled in a big blank in that mental map.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing some of your photos with us, Ed. I have never seen the Murray Federal Building Memorial before. Despite the circumstances, It looks quite amazing. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very beautiful and quite sobering.

      Delete
  10. That's a nice memorial. I spent a week on Oklahoma City the summer I graduated from high school. It was my first flight and we landed a bit after dark and when the pilot said it was 103 degrees, I wanted him to take me back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no desire to go there in the summer!

      Delete
  11. My wife's family is from Oklahoma and she was born in OK City. Her family moved to Arkansas when she was in grade school and stayed there. Interestingly, even though I grew up in Arkansas which is a border state, I never visited Oklahoma until a few years after she and I married. We went to a wedding, then to her grandmother's funeral some years later. I think those are the only two occasions I've been there. My in-laws both graduated from Central High School which I believe is right downtown near where the tragedy happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the memorial fence there was a letter written by a teacher from a nearby school that talked about how their heavy front doors rattled from the blast. Not sure if that was from the same school or not.

      Delete
  12. The Murray Federal Building has a very unique memorial, thanks for sharing it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We stopped at that memorial during our cross country trip from Illinois to California where we were shipping our van to Hawaii for our big move. It was very moving, but I'd forgotten about the designation of the chairs. That Art factory is certainly interesting and it sounds like a lot of fun. The jellyfish drawing is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment