Turn and Cough

No picture attached to this post for reasons that will soon become clear.

I'm getting of an age where the rules of seeing a doctor change. I'm transitioning from only seeing a doctor when I think I might be dying to seeing a doctor on a somewhat regular basis to prevent me from accidentally dying of self neglect. And so after nearly three decades, I signed up for my first physical checkup.

Not having done such a thing for a long time, I was I think, understandably nervous. But soon after the doctor came in and stated that we don't do the finger up the bum exam anymore unless something else suggests that it would be prudent, I grew more relaxed. He did all the normal things that were done as a child such as the rubber mallet to the knees to the icy cold stethoscope to various previously warm parts of my torso to the wooden popsicle stick stuck so far down my throat that I gag. 

Also on the list were answering lots of questions and spilling the beans on some of the aches and pains of growing older, such as addressing what might be plantar fasciitis in my left heel. I also donated some blood and promised to undertake a couple at home tests that I can mail back for results. It was all routine and I was kicking myself for being nervous.

Then the doctor stated matter of fact that the last test before I go was the old hernia test. Naive me assumed that would be more poking and prodding of my abdomen area. But I knew I was wrong when the doctor told me to face, him, drop my drawer, turn my head and cough as he cupped a part of me that few people have ever cupped. I did it and evidently passed the hernia test and after the fact, I was still able to look the doctor in the eyes without embarrassment. I guess that is another sign that I'm getting older when I have no shame anymore.

My bloodwork says that my odds of living for awhile are pretty darn good and I'm still waiting on the other two tests to arrive in the mail. I have some anti-inflammatory medicine to pick up later at the pharmacy to see how that does with my foot. It is only for a few weeks and then I don't have to take it anymore so I can continue on with my antipill daily regiment that I have thus far done in my life... at least until my next physical scheduled for this time next year. Way too soon however, these physicals are going to involve sedation and nether region probing. I'm not sure I'm ready to be probed.

Comments

  1. One word. Childbirth.

    I am here to tell you that you'll be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men have a bigger problem with those sorts of tests than women, simply because most women have had a lot of embarrassing experiences with doctors, nurses, and hospitals starting at a fairly young age. When my husband went in the hospital for an unexpected quadruple heart bypass, he was a mess, working about his hospital nightgown that was open in the back. By the time he got out of there, he no longer had any shame, he'd been handled and looked at so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a good doctor is priceless. Especially as we get to the age where we need one more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lot of the reason why I have put this off for so long. All the good doctors were full already and not accepting new patients. This one just started in the clinic not too long ago and so I wanted to establish care before their schedule got filled up.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, that drop the drawers things confirmed not just the one hernia as expected but two. That led to a double inguinal surgery which left me uncomfortable for a week or two. Having had the prostate (BPH) surgery, I expect there will be many more fingers up the bum for me. And both my GP and urologist are women. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh... I just keep telling myself that at least I have no shame anymore, or at least very little left.

      Delete
  5. I was going to ask about the probing. Trust me, it will come soon enough. On the bright side, currently if there are no issues it is only a once in every 10 years extravaganza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least this is an extravaganza for those doing the probing. I hope to have no memories of the affair.

      Delete
  6. You are making the right decision to get an annual check up. Get a serious stretching regime to control the plantar's fasciitis

    ReplyDelete
  7. My blood work is pretty good, except for the cholesterol but not worthy of medication yet. Plus, I would refuse to take a statin which are scary drugs with too many side effects to make it worth the risk. I'm glad you went since I think a yearly checkup is important to avoid worse problems later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know my exact results other than they weren’t in the treatment range. The doctor did say they don’t treat high cholesterol as aggressively as they did before. It is more of a package deal.

      Delete
  8. Well, had a little chuckle here until I read Anvilcloud's comment! Ed I lost my shame around my 5th or 6th ER visit for kidney stones and they have to feed a tube down a certain part to drain your bladder... young, old, male, female--as long as they're a nurse is all that matters!
    ANYWAY--glad your checkup went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were in pain those times so I can understand. This feels more optional but it is done and I don’t have to think about it for awhile other than to hopefully give readers a chuckle.

      Delete
  9. Good to hear that you are in good health for an older guy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uuuummm....Isn't your wife a doctor? :-)
    I try to get a woman doctor whenever I have to change physicians. My current doctor just retired, but before she did, she assigned me to getting a colonoscopy. I am not happy. I think it's really important for you to get that annual check-up. They say the pandemic has caused a lot of people to not have problems diagnosed early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is but it isn’t ethical for her to treat me and even if she found something she couldn’t act upon it without me seeing someone else. Also, I really needed to establish care so if something comes along I can get in much more quickly. Waiting as a new patient can sometimes take months!

      Delete
  11. I've actually never had that "cough" test, at least not that I can remember. Can that be possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose English standards are different. Honestly I didn’t know a hernia test was standard until this appointment. I assumed it was only for athletes or those with cause to suspect one. But I’m no expert since this is my first voluntary doctors appointment. All the others have been for a reason that I wanted diagnosed and cured.

      Delete
    2. All this time I've thought that test was to check the prostate, not for a potential hernia.

      Delete
    3. For a prostate, I think their focus is further back!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! Sounds like you passed, and so did the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are anxious about future probing in the nether regions, I expect there are several regulars in "The Blazing Saddle" in Des Moines who would be very happy to provide therapy ahead of your next check-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea such a place existed in Des Moines.

      Delete
  14. I commented here twice yesterday. Maybe third time's the charm. I had nothing profound to say, just agreed with Debby and Donna about women getting over that embarrassment factor at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren’t in my spam folder so I don’t know what the deal is. Maybe guys are just getting caught up at a later age.

      Delete

Post a Comment