Smith Family Circle

Smith Family Cemetery

The other of my Smith families in my ancestral tree were born and live in Rockingham county, Virginia in the waning days of the 1700's and up to the mid 1800's. At the time, Rockingham county was probably considered the heart of Virginia situated in the mountains in the middle of the state. But shortly after my ancestors left to go west in the 1850's, the state was divided up and now Rockingham is on the border of Virginia and West Virginia.

I know little of why the Smith family packed up and left and don't really know the exact date. John L. Smith died in 1853 and is buried in Virginia while his wife Barbara Driver Smith and children all are buried in eastern Iowa. I suspect they all left after the death of John L. Smith in 1853. Barbara, aged 63 at the time, probably needed a fresh start and I'm guessing their sons probably needed land to make a living. However, in a biography of one of her sons, William D. Smith, he is listed as having moved to the area in 1851. However, those state biographies are riddles with timeline errors as they were often written many decades later and by people whose only source of information was verbally passed down through the family. So although I don't know the exact answer, I do know they were in Iowa before 1856 when they all showed up in the Iowa Census that year.

The family moved to what has been referred to as the "New Virginia" settlement near Clinton, Iowa though I can find precious little information about this settlement. I do know there are lots of other families born in Virginia who poured into that area which later was named Orange Township all arriving in the early 1850's. Coincidentally or not, Rockingham County, Virginia is just one county away from Orange County, Virginia. What I do not know are the reasons why these families moved. If I had to guess, a lot of it was just due to a pent up demand for land as families multiplied and new lands were being opened up in the Louisiana Purchase. However, typical migration paths don't have families moving from the south towards the north. So with talks of succession over slavery going on, I've always dreamt that perhaps my Smith family were wanting to get away from the entire slavery issue and start over in a place with no slaves. Whatever the case, the ended up in eastern Iowa and took up farming.

Barbara, my 5th great grandmother, came west with five sons and two daughters in her immediate family along with probably countless other relatives. She never lived very long in her new home and died in 1856. Probably a decade ago with my oldest daughter in tow, I visited that hilltop cemetery in the rain where she is buried with three of her sons, including both sets of my 4th great grandparents, and paid homage. The farm down at the base of the hill still had a sign that says Smith Farm and I knocked on the door to see who might still farm these lands but nobody answered.

Gravestone of 5th Great Grandmother Barbara Smith and Grandson Isaac Smith

I would later learn that the Isaac Smith named on the same stone above Barbara's name is a grandson that died a few years later when a tornado went through and collapsed the walls of the family house on top of him. 

Also buried in the same cemetery are the graves of Barbara's sons (both my 4th great grandparents) William Donald Smith (Catherine Knopp) and John Victor Smith (Susan Thomas who is the second Thomas line in my family tree) and John Victor Smith's son and my 3rd great grandfather Abraham Smith and 2nd wife Amanda Jordan Smith. Abraham's first wife and my 3rd great grandmother Clementine Carr Smith is buried nearby in town. I'm not sure why she didn't end up in the Smith family cemetery when she died at age 32 in 1874. 

3rd Great Grandmother Clementine Carr Smith

So now that I've gotten thoroughly off track, I'll try to summarize the family circle within the branches of my tree that I mentioned in the previous post. John L. and Barbara Driver Smith would have a son William Donald Smith. He and wife Catherine Knopp would have a son named Abraham Smith. Abraham and wife Clementine Carr would have a son named Isaac Franklin Smith.

Backing up a few steps, John L and Barbara Driver Smith had another son named John Victor Smith, brother to William Donald Smith. John Victor Smith and wife Susan Thomas would have a daughter named Amanda Virginia Smith. She would marry Martin Luther Rice and move to the completely opposite side of the state where their daughter Annetta Jane Rice was born.

Somehow, Annetta Jane Rice met Isaac Franklin Smith, who stilled lived in eastern Iowa and were married. Thus my 2nd great grandparents were second cousins. I have lots of pictures of these lines of my family trees and perhaps more stories to share in future posts but I will end this post with a word about the above photo. For many years, it was unknown who the person was. It is just a photo in an old oval frame that sits on a old piece of furniture down at the farm. But going through research many years ago, I found the same picture in a biography about my 3rd great grandparents Abraham and Clementine Smith and thus I was able to finally put a name to the image. Persistence sometimes pays off.

Comments

  1. Slavery could have still been a reason for moving. West Virginia split off from Virginia on issues of slavery and succession. There were few slaves in the mountain regions, as compared to the coastal plain. In the area I live in, there was a large migration of Quakers to the NW due to their opposition to slavery. Also, many of those in this part were Scot-Irish who had first come down from PA. You're doing good work, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading up a little on the history of the area to get some sense of why they moved. I had never thought about it until recently. Someday I would like to go further down that line and explore my "southern" roots a bit more but it will take foot on the ground research as there are so many Smith's in the area to sort out via a computer.

      Delete
    2. Oh no! I lost my comment. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. You have so much information about your Smith relatives; it's incredible! This is one of my grandfather's brothers, one of the only relatives who stayed in Iowa. (they all ended up there from Scotland originally) He also added the s to his name for some reason. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159043206/henry-grieves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn't even a fraction of it. I have a lot more on the Smith family further down the tree where there is more of a paper trail to follow.

      Delete
  3. Such a different time then. To go from Virginia to Iowa, they really were leaving everything behind. That picture of Clementine looks almost like a painting, but it's nice you have it. Also, I can't believe how you're able to parse these names and such out, given the last name Smith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sort of look like a painting. It isn't easy and the internet is full of false associations by people who just assume that because the last name is also Smith, it HAS to be the father even if there are 20 other Smith families in the same area. For every tree like mine where I strive to only keep people on it whom I can document are actually my ancestors, there are 100 other trees full of wrongly attached people.

      Delete
  4. It doesn't appear to be a "crowded" cemetery. Either they allotted far more land than they needed, or few were buried there before moving elsewhere. (though I'm thinking folks were usually brought "home" to be buried)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually quite a bit of graves there with no markers according to some of the information I have seen posted about it. As I recall, many of the markers had fallen over and were partially buried by the grass. Fortunately for me though, in the wills of both of my 4th great grandfathers, they left money for upgraded monuments, fencing and other things associated with the cemetery so their stones are still legible and upright.

      Delete
  5. I am always fascinated by the information you are able to find Ed. Your persistence amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To live in the area your ancestors settled in is a real treat. So is having a treasure trove of photographs. The internet is great for research, but it seems to me that seeing these things in person somehow makes it more real, more memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I live in the same state anyway. I would do more such trips if these places weren’t halfway or more across the state.

      Delete
  7. The deeper you go the more mystery you seem to uncover. So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly natural I think for never having met someone instrumental in my existence.

      Delete
  8. Wow! You are a librarian of geneology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone who has studied it for many years at least.

      Delete

Post a Comment