Flunked Fire Starting

 

Large pile, barely noticeable flames

With melting high temperatures forecasted all week long, no wind and snow still covering the area around one of my brush piles in my actual lawn, I thought I would attempt to burn it while conditions were favorable. So with a rake, lawn chair and fire making supplies in hand, I went out and started a small fire on the upwind (very slight wind) side of the pile. It took off and was burning albeit at a really slow pace. After an hour of reading my book, I realized that it wasn't going to ever get really hot so I went back inside where I was more comfortable and just checked on it every so often. It smoldered for a couple more hours and then I could see no more smoke emanating from the pile. So I did what every redneck with no eyebrows does and grabbed some old chainsaw gas I needed to use up and tossed a couple cans of it on the fire. Each time would produce a large ball of fire with a loud whoosh of air followed by intense burning for a handful of seconds and then quickly reduce to barely any flames once more. So I made the call, it is still too green to burn and it will just have to stay there a long while longer drying out before I can try again. Perhaps by then I can cut up the rest of the log laying in the lawn and get it piled up out of the way somewhere. Or perhaps I'll just enjoy the new wildlife habitat and handy set of "chairs".

Comments

  1. Perhaps the summer heat will dry it out and you can have a bonfire in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have it burnt before then. With three acres of trees, I don't want to burn it when there are a lot of dead leaves everywhere. I don't want to end up with no trees... or house.

      Delete
  2. "every redneck with no eyebrows" - bahahahahaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I made the mistake of pouring gas directly from the gas can onto a fire. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

      Delete
    2. I once had a wood boiler flash when the door was opened. I thought I had been blinded. Turned out my mascara had melted gluing my lashes together.

      Delete
  3. For some reason this reminded me of my own childhood on the farm, and the three burn barrels we had down the hill a bit from our house. One time my younger brother and I saved up our mom's hairspray cans to toss in one of the barrels. We soon learned why aerosol cans were a big No-No to burn after they blew one of the barrels apart. And after our dad got home and let us have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could turn the charred pile of wood and the log into an art installation. They are all the rage in garden design these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give my wife your url and let you be the one to convince her!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, the redneck comment got me. Our area is under a burn ban. I can't remember a fall/winter as dry as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very dry fall and is shaping up to be a dry spring which is why I tried when I did with some snow on the ground.

      Delete
  6. LOL, my late husband used to start/encourage the fire with gas and he still had his eyebrows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have mine but YouTube reminds me many don’t.

      Delete
  7. Ed, you need to get a propane flamethrower. My dad has one around here. Trust me, it will get anything going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve seen those and if I had one I would have used it. If we get more snow, I may add some cured wood to start it and get it hot enough to get the green wood dried out enough to sustain a burn.

      Delete
  8. You may have critters nesting among the branches come springtime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to be noisy to give them time to move to the other two brush piles.

      Delete
  9. Gosh! The only fire we ever started was in the Weber grill.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment