Missing From the Picture


 One more shot of the greenhouse from an angle I haven't taken before, from the comfort of the deck off the back of our house. The reason for me not taking a picture from this location until now can be explained by the vague circle like spot in the lower part of the picture. Until a couple days ago, a trampoline used to reside there.

When my oldest reached jumping age, about the same time as her younger sister was born, my mom bought her a trampoline. It was one of those giant things about the size of a room with a mesh wall encircling it so stray children wouldn't go flying off of it. It was so big, for many years I had to go out to lift my daughter up onto it or off of it. With the configuration of our yard, there aren't very many flat spots to put such a huge affair and so I assembled it directly over our firepit.

Less than a week later, a straight line derecho with 100 mph winds was forecasted as heading our way and so I drug it up to the deck and lashed it to the house with yards of rope. It didn't blow away but after that, I bought four ground anchors and some strand wire cable and permanently attached it to the ground over the firepit. It wasn't fast or easy to move and so we've had very limited fires outside ever since. 

As you can see above, some weeds and grass, mostly creeping charlie, have overtaken the fire pit so you can't see any of the protective paving surrounding it nor the actual pit itself. It needs some work and I have it on my to do list when I tackle the back patio and landscaping underneath the deck, perhaps next year. 

I'm guessing the trampoline was around 11 or 12 years old and it looked well beyond life expectancy. All the foam encasing the poles holding up the safety net has simply vanished into fine particles of degradation. The vinyl cover over the springs to prevent errant legs or other body parts from entering was mostly gone and what remained was as pliable as a fresh Dorito.  The main trampoline pad itself had numerous runs and checks through it like a pair of pantyhose after a run through a forest. The galvanized metal support structure was rusting and as I found out soon enough, full of water that was leeching in from somewhere. It was time to put the thing out of its misery. I haven't seen either of our girls on it in over a year.

So while they were at school, I disassembled the trampoline, loaded it in the van along with other accumulated debris and made a run to the town dump. There they have huge truck size recycling bins where all the metal bits and pieces could go for other uses and a nearby similar sized trailer for the rest. I paid them for the privilege of using those bins. It has been three days since I hauled it away and neither of my daughters has noticed it being gone. I'm sure it will be missed when they realize it but like most kids, forgotten about five minutes later.

I should have taken a picture of it but didn't. It was an eyesore. That probably explains why just about every picture taken in its vicinity over the years was angled this way or that so that it was essentially cropped out of the picture. Maybe next year when I get the lower patio and landscaping done, along with rehabbing the firepit, perhaps I can start posting more pictures of that missing area behind our house.

Comments

  1. There are a few things I might say about this blogpost but I will only make two points.
    Firstly, it seems slightly sadistic to put one's children's trampoline over a firepit! What if the trampoline had caught fire while they were bouncing on it?

    Secondly: "like a pair of pantyhose after a run through a forest..." is a curious simile unless you yourself wear pantyhose when running through forests!

    P.S. Only kidding around Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting explanation of the mysterious 'yard circle' and it's always good to see your new greenhouse Ed! My niece had the exact same trampoline you write about, but when she went thru puberty and her bustline grew, she wouldn't get on it anymore and my sister sold it. I know I was on it a few times & enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to sell it but in today's litigious society and the decrepit condition of the trampoline, I didn't think any extra money I got from a sell was worth the risk of a lawsuit.

      Delete
  3. This was funny! I thought similar evil things, but presumed you did that temporary move if you lit the fire pit. Or, moving the fire pit seemed easier than moving the trampoline. It doesn't take much wind to send those giant frisbee's through the air and crumpling the metal parts. I thought if it had a "pantyhose run," that the trampoline wasn't usable anymore. A friend had more fun with water icing over and being the first one to jump on it to shatter the ice. Please keep us posted when the kids realize it went to trampoline heaven. What a hoot! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved it a few times over the year to use the firepit but it really wasn't worth the effort involved. I would like to utilize the fire pit more now that it would be really easy but alas, I'll have to wait until spring. The main surface definitely has lines of wear but hadn't completely split yet. It was a matter of time. It took a week for the kids to notice and like probably most kids, there was about five minutes of sadness before they had moved onto other things and it was forgotten about again. I think it helped that it is now way too cold for them to want to go out and play on it and will be that way for four or five months.

      Delete
  4. I see some photos of a prettily lit greenhouse in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no electrical running out to the greenhouse though I have purchased a solar battery/light that I have yet to put up. I decided there really wasn't a need for it right now but I have plans to install it come spring.

      Delete
  5. I think revamping the fire pit would make a nice springtime project! We'll hold you to that. ;)

    I've never heard of Creeping Charlie unless we call it something else down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a link to the wikipage with it's Latin name.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea

      It is essentially a vining ivy plant and considered an aggressive invasive species that will smother the grass in a yard. With the trampoline protecting it, it's had free rein for a number of years but I hope to keep it more in check in the coming years.

      We've landscaped about 3/4 of the way around our house and the last remaining part is underneath our deck and the firepit area. Right now it is a damp mossy, poorly concreted and ivy covered block area that we never use except to store firewood.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. That flower kind of looks familiar, but I'm terrible at identifying plants. So who knows if we have it around here.

      Delete
  6. We had several trampolines and they were a royal pain to get rid of. The second one didn't last long; the springs failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a survivor. I've been waiting for it to fail for nearly five years now.

      Delete
  7. Ed, this is sort of what ultimately happened to ours: we had it at our first house, moved it to my parents house when we moved to a house with a smaller yard. It had many useful years of life there before a high wind piled it against a tree, after which it went to a well earned rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I not had that initial wind encounter and then ground staked it to the ground, I'm sure ours would have ended up in a tree many years ago.

      Delete
  8. But your family should create some good story to go with the mysterious circle, maybe something about the devil dancing there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling once I rid the creeping charlie in the spring, it won't look like a circle anymore.

      Delete
  9. I tend to avoid eyesores in photos too because they can be very distracting! But the greenhouse looks great.

    Here, we call creeping charlie, ground ivy. One of my pastures is highly infested with it and the goats won't eat it. A real nuisance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ground ivy is a very appropriate name. It is very difficult to rid.

      Delete
  10. The green house does look great. William would love a trampoline. Tim will not allow it on our property (they cannot install one where they live). He thinks they are dangerous. His daughter put one up for her sons. Within 24 hours of set up, her son had a broken arm which totally reinforces Tim's thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are dangerous too but fortunately, I have two girls and they are much more timid than boys. I tried more than once to get them to flip and they never would.

      Delete

Post a Comment