This and That

Above is the end result of a small project that I began probably several months ago. Earlier this spring we planted a row of blackberry and raspberry plants. Half of the raspberry plants died immediately but the blackberry on the end are thriving and a couple raspberry plants are still hanging in there. They are all thornless varieties and it is recommended to build some sort of trellis to contain the canes and minimize the space they take up. So I built some supports with wire strung between them to support the canes, presumably next year when they get tall enough. To the right is one end of an eventual row of grapes. We only have one plant there and it too needed some sort of trellis to allow it to get up off the ground. But it looks pretty sorry right now and so I didn't photograph it.

We were harvesting the first sweet potatoes I have ever grown and I came across a root that looked similar though slightly paler. Thinking it was the mother of all sweet potatoes, I followed it for ten feet across the garden until I saw that it was actually an upo root. I think I understand why the upo is the most prolific garden veggie I have ever seen if they can put out roots that go for ten feet under soil!

About is our sweet potato harvest along with the one lone watermelon we grew and a few odds and ends. The garden is mostly tilled up now. The next time we go back, we plan to mow off what is left, till up those areas and put everything to bed for the winter. It was a successful season despite the setbacks of spring.


 Although it is hard to see since they were just single panes of plexiglass, I did get the final four windows installed and flashed. I'm getting ready to install the doors and then do some trim work around the outside and I will be done on the outside anyway until I get siding and weather to install it in. I still have some work inside to fix things up to be ready to use but with windows and a door, I can probably do that on nicer days all winter long.

Comments

  1. It took me ten years to establish raspberries! So if you have at least a few survivors, you have a chance. Your harvest looks good and the greenhouse is coming along beautifully! I think your idea for the window arrangement worked out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what to expect with the berries in general. I've only harvested wild blackberries once a few years back when they were very prolific that year. I so enjoyed the fruit that I though since we have the space, lets plant some. Like much of what you do, it will be an experiment that will take time.

      Delete
  2. I can't see. Are there plexiglass panels on the roof over the greenhouse section?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are polycarbonate multiwall panels. They essentially have the cross section of lots of rectangular hollow spaces going up through two smooth panels. I chose them because the have a higher transmission efficiency than the wavy panels that many traditionally use. Hopefully that translate into an early start in the spring.

      Delete
  3. Your building is looking good! I love blackberries but the vines can really take over -- at least the wild type can. Maybe yours are more refined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wild ones I have picked from definitely take over everything. I have no idea about the domesticated ones we bought. We did plant them in an area of the garden where I frequently mow grass on both sides so I'm hoping that keeps things in check.

      Delete
  4. It looks like it could be a nice playhouse! Finishing details seem to take the longest time. I wonder why that is. Maybe because we are tired after doing all the main work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are exactly right. I also think there are so many decisions to make to determine all those details that also slows things down.

      Delete
  5. This project will give satisfaction for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least my wife will have some satisfaction. I'm hoping to feel some relief by moving some stuff out of our garage and gaining more room for my woodworking operation.

      Delete
  6. The first photo reminded me of religious symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some members of my family said the same thing.

      Delete
  7. I'm continuing to be impressed with your amazing carpentry skills. That is an awesome harvest. I did have raspberries in Illinois planted on the side of the house. They didn't produce a lot but enough for our breakfast cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had any berry plants other than the wild kind so this will be a giant experiment for us.

      Delete
  8. At the Ranch, the blackberries grow wild (a little too wild - they will take over everything). You are wise to control them.

    Great look sweet potato harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a spot on the farm where they grow very well in the wild. But they are thorny and hard to pick and don't always produce a great crop, at least that we can harvest before the wildlife does!

      Delete
  9. First time commenter! LOVE the"shed," although so nice I'd call it the summer house! And yes, tame and contain those thorn less blackberry vines. On a lark, I bought one tiny cane for my sister, who lives in a townhome, and has a cute little area of patio and grass. When I visited her recently, that "tiny" cane had grown very wild, threatening to be a Little Shop of Horrors plant! I pruned it (I needed loppers to do it!) within an inch of its life, and no doubt, it will be right back! She said it had produced the juiciest berries all summer, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the directions, we are supposed to prune any cane that doesn't produce berries next year. I'll have to make sure my loppers are sharpened up.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  10. The attack of the upos! My younger daughter planted some fall produce in her raised beds this year and things are going well. Of course she's even farther south than I am, so that makes a difference.

    I left this comment on your blog yesterday morning, but sometimes I can't determine if it's gone to comment moderation or just gone, period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me is envious of those who can plant fall gardens with ease but I think the bigger part of me is grateful that I have a longer rest period between garden seasons. I haven't heard of anyone else having difficulty leaving comments. Let me know if it persists.

      Delete
  11. That's a beautiful final harvest from the garden. I've never heard of upos, but then again, I'm not a gardener. You construction project looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The harvest looks good! My older daughter cooks a lot with sweet potatoes, so I've come to enjoy them. I didn't grow up eating them. The blackberries around here are invasive but they taste SO good. We pick them every summer. Your shed looks like a miniature house. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment