Side Job In Waiting

 


As you can see, I got the other set of doors installed. I went with double doors for a couple reasons. I wanted something wide enough I could drive a zero turn lawnmower through for storage and I wanted something mouse proof. From experience on the farm, mice are unforgiving to wires, plastic and various parts of just about anything when given free rein all winter long.

Also, at least on just this side (at the time of the photo), I got everything trimmed out so it is essentially water tight and ready for siding. We haven't yet decided on siding but are leaning towards plastic unfortunately. I'm not a big fan but it will meet our needs. We have a healthy supply of woodpeckers who poked holes into any wood surface on our house for nearly ten years before I got everything clad in cement, plastic trim or metal flashed. Wood siding is definitely out. I don't want to do cement siding like our house by myself and it seems a bit of overkill for a storage/greenhouse building. I don't want to do metal as it will match absolutely nothing around. So that leaves us with either stone or plastic and plastic is more reasonable price wise and easy to install alone. Besides, it comes in a variety of flavors including "stone" and "wood shake" looking. I'm leaving that decision up to my wife.

As I write this, more rain is nearly here so I've quit for the day to let the caulking cure. I have two more sides left to trim and then I'm done outside until siding and the weather to install it arrives. It may be this year or next spring. Inside I still need to fill the gap in the roof area between rooms to try and limit humidity to just one half of the building, the greenhouse half, and then start building things for the inside of the greenhouse. My wife has lots of shelves, counters, sinks, etc. planned. Those I will build weather permitting and hopefully have them done by early spring.

Comments

  1. Finally, we discover the truth that this project is being managed by your wife and you are just the handyman. "Of course ma'am... Whatever you say ma'am".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. This has been her dream from the start. I was able to tack on a storage shed for a lawnmower but odds are that it will be used for pot and soil storage and my lawnmower will be out in the rain eventually.

      Delete
  2. Wow Ed, it looks awesome! Those double doors were such a smart idea plus it gives it a nice, customized look. And I sure am diggin' that transparent roof, that's what a greenhouse is all about! Your choices of siding sound logical, I'm sure it will turn out great. This sure is impressive work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those doors were a grunt to get in place. Fortunately I own a 2-wheeled dolly that I could use to get them close and then just tip them up into place. Then I temporarily tacked them there with a screw until I got things squared up and plumb before permanently fastening them in place.

      Delete
  3. Ed, I have come to be a great believer in things like double doors for such things. The ability to get in and out unimpeded is well worth the cost.

    It looks very good indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only drawback I can see might be getting a lawnmower in and out on a windy day. I'm thinking about perhaps getting some shock absorber things to attach so they don't blow completely open or shut while I'm driving in or out.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on getting it water tight before winter! There are definitely pros and cons to plastic siding. Our house is brick, but we finally (after repainting the wood trim several times over the years) replaced it with vinyl trim. As I said... pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like vinyl trim and put it all around our house when I resided it. But the siding however, just doesn't look the same and I've seen many a house suffer damage from wind. Since this is sort of surrounded by trees, I'm hoping it won't suffer from that fate.

      Delete
  5. I've gone to a sort of plastic in some of my outdoor and indoor bathroom trim. It looks nice, is waterproof and nearly indestructible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has some great advantages and I'm all for using it as trim. I've not used any indoors but all the trim outside is PVC.

      Delete
  6. Looks good! It makes sense you'd have to work around those woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were terrible! I felt like a crazy old man having to run out several times a day to shoo them off various parts of the house that they enjoyed destroying.

      Delete
  7. You are doing a very exact job. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. We should know an answer by early next summer.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Today is the first day I haven't worked on it that I could have if I had something to do. A nice feeling!

      Delete
  9. Looking good. Whatever you decide for the siding, I'm sure it will turn out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up going for vinyl siding that looks like wood lap barn siding. But it is backordered so I may not know how it goes up or looks for quite a while.

      Delete
  10. Except for the siding, it looks substantially done. Although I know nothing about any of this, I imagine that siding is relatively straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done vinyl so there will be a learning curve that I must get over. But from what I have read and heard, it is fairly easy to do.

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to see it in it's final glory, Ed. Nicely done. We are sending some more rain your way. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! That is quite a professional looking job there, Ed. Woodpeckers can do a lot of damage in very short order. We had a dying tree in front of our house, and in one Saturday morning a pileated woodpecker did so much damage to that one tree that the city came in and took it down within the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots of dead trees in other parts of our properties so I don't understand why they always seemed to gravitate to the house. Fortunately that is an issue of the past now but it limits my options when doing remodeling or building projects.

      Delete
  13. We had woodpeckers in Illinois, but they confined themselves to the locust and oak tree in our yard, thank goodness. Art is sleeping right now because he gets up at 3:30 to go jogging in the morning. When he gets home tomorrow, I'll have to show him your progress. He is really, really impressed. He's also an engineer like you so he's loving how you're figuring everything out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any pointers he might have for my next building, if ever, are certainly welcome!

      Delete

Post a Comment