Not Much of Any One Thing

 I don't know what has happened this week but it has just flown by and I have little to show for it. Or perhaps I've just haven't taken any pictures of things I have been working on which would give me something to talk about. I think it is a little of both.

Looking for a project, I pulled one off my lengthy list and began it earlier this week but haven't taken a single picture. It isn't real glamorous I suppose but I'll try to get one tomorrow when I put the finishing touches on it.

My siding came in a full month early! Perhaps it wasn't stuck out in the bay of Los Angeles like they thought it was when I placed my order. Having never installed vinyl in my life and this is vertical vinyl instead of the typical horizontal vinyl siding, I've had to do so research on how to make it work. 

I just received a project that I sent out because it is well out of my wheelhouse of skills and it is upstairs sitting in a shopping bag but I haven't yet looked at it. I'm going to wait for my wife and look at it together. Perhaps I'll remember to take a picture.

My mom's death anniversary is coming up. I can't believe it will have been three years already. It was going to be a busy day but school was cancelled for next week so I'll have plenty of time to complete my annual walk in her memory. 

Thanksgiving is coming up and we have no plans. We are thinking about volunteering during the day and having a couple who are friends but have no family in the U.S. over for a Thanksgiving supper. 

We may be having our first jellyfish burial coming up soon. The oldest seems to be dealing with it well but we'll see how it goes. I won't even joke about wrapping it in some sushi rice and dipping it in soy sauce.

Word from my wife there is a bat in the house. I haven't seen it all day but I haven't gone looking for it and it is daylight right now. Last time this happened, it was quite hard swinging the racket with two screaming women hanging on my back. 

So I have probably lots to expound upon if I can get my act into gear. Perhaps next week.

Comments

  1. It would be nice if you had someone make a video of you trying to get the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you open a window the bat may leave of its own accord. If I can offer some advice, try not to kill it if possible. The world needs all its bats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in agreement and I do try to remove them through a door, all windows have screens, but it doesn't always work out, especially with four women petrified of the things. We have a healthy bat population around here fortunately.

      Delete
  3. I've heard of folks throwing a hand towel over a bat to capture it, making for easy removal.

    I'm sorry to hear there is trouble in jellyfish land. And no, the dark humor needs to wait until it can be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure my oldest will ever appreciate my humor but I think she expects it now anyway.

      Delete
  4. And how did a bat get in your house????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an idea but don't know for sure. They evidently crawl up through our soffit under the eaves somewhere and get into the attic. From there, there is a small cavity that goes from there all the way into the basement on the backside of our showers on both floors. Both showers are attached to interior and uninsulated walls. From there, they can access our utility room and then the rest of the house. Since it is hard for even me to find that spot since it is covered with insulation in the attic, it doesn't happen to often. I think this is only the second bat in ten years of living here. We had them more often in our old house.

      Delete
  5. A bat in the house would be terrifying. I wouldn't like to get those shots. I have no plans for Thanksgiving or am undecided on them. It feels weird because normally I know exactly what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind them other than all the shrieking that goes along with it.

      Delete





  6. Good luck with your siding job.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really looking forward to it for some reason. It isn't terribly hard work but tedious.

      Delete
  7. Haha! Ed, you have some pretty dry humor going on here. Had a good chuckle over the jellyfish suggestion -AND- the bat. My sister got one in her house over the summer. It only seemed to appear when her husband was asleep or at work, but my sister and 16 year old niece were having nervous breakdowns daily for a week. They finally caught it when they recorded various rooms at night with their smartphones, and one night around 2am a bat waddled out from behind the couch (where a furnace grate was). Anyway, enjoyed your list! :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of dry humor!

      Fortunately the bat has been found and relocated outside. More on that in an upcoming post.

      Delete
    2. Oh, this will be a great post!

      I'm the bat person in our house. Tim doesn't scream and hang off my back, but he does not like them. We have the perfect house for bat removal. Every room has multiple doors, so we keep moving them, and then closing the doors until finally they are isolated in the foyer. Then I just open the front door and stand to the right of it with a large piece of cardboard. They fly their circle, meet up with the cardboard and veer right out the door. We've pretty much got the bat problem solved, but it was quite an adventure for the first couple years while we found and blocked their access.

      Delete
  8. Bats in the belfrey! I chuckle at the upcoming chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it turned out, it wasn't very chaotic at all but I won't spoil the post to say why.

      Delete
  9. The mental pictures: oh my goodness. Bats. Jellyfish. The fun never ends at your house does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It provides good blogging fodder at least!

      Delete
  10. We once had a bat in the house. It went down the cold air return, got stuck in the motor of the furnace, and wrecked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! I would have never guessed that outcome!

      Delete
  11. We were watching a movie about a deadly jellyfish pet a few weeks ago with Will Smith. I can’t remember the title of the movie. Darn! I’m assuming your jellyfish is not the dangerous kind. I’m sure you can find an appropriate burial spot.
    Bats? Really? I’ve never heard of anyone getting bats in the house. I’m looking forward to how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lots and lots of bats in our area. If one goes outside during summer, you can literally see hundreds of them flying around at dusk, catching their fill of insects. Unfortunately, that means we get the occasional one in the house. This is probably the fourth or fifth one we've had in nearly 20 years so it doesn't happen too often.

      Delete
  12. I am hoping that your bat made its way out unscathed. I have rather a soft spot for them. I'll be interested to see the end result of the vertical vinyl siding. I don't think I've seen any other than horizontal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did make it out and I think unscathed. More on that coming up. I haven't started the siding project yet with Thanksgiving just about here. Maybe if we have a warm week coming up, I might tackle it instead of waiting for spring.

      Delete
  13. Been there done that with the bats! Hope you get him/her:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment