Landscape Evolution


 Back when we just thinking about buying this house, I walked around the perimeter snapping photos which turned out to be fortunate as I often look back at them. This shows the backside of our garage and the nook outside of our dining room. It has been a problem spot for us to deal with.

On of our first projects was to reside the house (covering up the unused side door) and then we planted a bunch of raspberry bushes on the backside of the garage. The first mistake was just that they didn't get enough sun on that side of the house and animal depredation took care of what remained in short order. Weeds soon grew back up in that spot.

Although I can't seem to find a picture of it, soon after the above picture, I installed landscape edging and some weed control fabric along with more mulch. The edging helped keep the mulch up on the slope a lot better. I also replaced the rotten logs holding up the earth at the end of the concrete wing sticking our from our house with a small rock retaining wall.  All this helped to hold things in place better which made for a great home for ground squirrels. 

For some reason, ground squirrels called this area home for a long time. They always dug holes in the corner up next to the foundation of our basement which essentially funnels any rainwater up against the basement wall. It fortunately kept all that water out and still has but I would rather not have the water up next to the foundation to start with and so have eradicated the ground squirrel colony multiple times. Once eradicated, I will fill all the holes in and life will be good for a time but for some reason, they always seem to come back. I'm not sure if they can smell the previous tenants or it is just that prime of a location but they loved crawling under the mulch, chewing a hole in the landscape fabric and burrowing a new hole, all in the space of just an hour or two when my eyes were turned.

Some of you may remember this picture from earlier this year. While paying for delivery of a load of building lumber and supplies, I thought I might as well maximize that payment by ordering a bunch of landscaping wall pavers. It turned out to be about a third of what we would actually end up needing but it was the best guess I had at the time.

Due to the slope and poor soil (mostly clay), we decided to build a retaining wall there and backfill it with good soil. It will make house maintenance much easier having a flat terrace to work from, the soil will hopefully allow some things to grow, even on the shady side of our house and perhaps the terrace will discourage deer from thinking it is a smorgasbord. I wasn't particularly keen in having this project going at the same time as the greenhouse project with fall being short enough as it is, but my wife said she would do the bulk of the work. She indeed would build the retaining wall though I would end up moving much of the fill materials. 

We ended up using some 250 concrete retaining wall pavers, 6 tons of black dirt, topped with another layer of landscape fabric and topped with 4 tons of gravel. There is a slight kink in the wall much to my wife's dismay but to her credit, it was almost impossible to make a straight wall that slopes back and ascends a complex curve. Due to the location, every thing was brought in by hand and by wheelbarrow and took a fair amount of time in evenings and on weekends. 

As opportunity presented itself, the current occupant of the ground squirrel home decided to call the inside of our garage home and he/she and I had a long battle one day that resulted in me possibly inflicting harm by stomping on a pile of toys it was hiding under. Later I saw it again out in the open and not wanting to run from me so I put the thing out of it's misery. Now with all that soil, landscape fabric and rocks covering it's home by over two feet, I'm hoping that is the last I will have to worry about ground squirrels in that area of our property.

For now, it is undecided what will be planted there. It will need to be low light thriving things that deer and rabbits don't like so hostas, the crack of the deer world, are definitely out. Below it are the remains of our rose garden which is now covered with recycled old landscaping rock that we found as we were putting in the base layers of the retaining wall. They need some heavy pruning but will probably remain for the time being. 

With this project done, our house is now about 75% landscaped around it. The remaining 25% is out of view on the left of this picture and underneath our raised deck. There is a decrepit concrete patio that is doing more damage to the house than good and is currently home to my woodpile that I use to feed our fireplace in the winter. There are also a couple of raised bed garden boxes which have done poorly over the years thanks to the low light conditions much of the year. Perhaps next year we can tackle that area and plant the above area. There is always something to do.

Comments

  1. Little green round pellet disks, dropped into their hole will stop the multi-level apartments that chipmunks build. Such bait is illegal in some states. Stopped the chipmunk community from under my front concrete steps because I didn't want the steps to break away from the incline and porch. The wall looks lovely. You have quite a few sloping spots around your house! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried various baits before but I haven't found any that are really effective and with a hawk population around that I like to see, I really don't want to chance killing one of them should one die out in the open. For now, I seemed to have solved this problem spot so I'll keep your suggestion in my back pocket for any future problems.

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty big project that makes quite a difference. I think you've done it, by George! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a huge project both in scope and weight... at least for my tastes.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a huge improvement Ed!

    Last week at my parent's house, I heard the scampering of tiny feet in the attic, so we are about to undertake the same task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can just never rest on their laurels when it comes to home maintenance.

      Delete
  4. The NGSA* are currently drumming up plans to regain their territory. You can win a battle against them but not necessarily a war. You and your good lady have worked hard to improve your property. You make me feel like an idle layabout.

    *NGSA = National Ground Squirrel Authority

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt. I will retain my PG (Pellet Gun) license just in case.

      Delete
  5. Ed it looks really nice. I'm amazed how much you've accomplished in the last couple months alone! I sure hope this resolves that awful squirrel issue for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't but I'm hoping it resolves this issue in that particular spot.

      Delete
  6. Looks great! I’m sure you know this, but squirrels are filthy, evil vermin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they live further away from my foundation, I'm pretty amiable to them living whatever sort of life they want!

      Delete
  7. This was clearly a major undertaking, but wow! The final result is great! I'll be interested to know what all you plant there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my wife's department. Hopefully something deer don't like... metal perhaps!

      Delete
  8. Very fun to see before and after pictures. Hopefully, the new arrangement will keep ground squirrels out once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took quite awhile to find those two pictures. I need to be better organized like you!

      Delete
  9. That is looking great. I need to do those pavers on the side of my house. My late husband did wood, which has rotted over the years and has a lot of lean to it. It's a huge project that I hesitate to start on. What is a ground squirrel? Is it different from a regular one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ground squirrel is often referred to as a chipmunk. They look like small squirrels but have white and black stripes along their back. They den in burrows dug into the ground as opposed to regular squirrels who live in hollows of trees.

      I'm all for permanent solutions... or at least ones that will outlive me.

      Delete
  10. OK, I'm impressed again! That looks really wonderful. I had to look up ground squirrels since I didn't think we had them in Illinois. Now I'm wondering if the chipmunks we battled were actually ground squirrels. They were really cute but burrowed under our walkway and stoop making it cave in. They really were a nuisance. Impatiens do well in the shade. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for the most part they are used interchangeably by people though there is a difference. Chipmunks prefer wooded areas and have less stripes. Ground squirrels prefer grassy areas and have more stripes.

      Delete
  11. What an improvement, and making it better for the house and you! Our growing conditions and animal population are so different from yours that I wouldn't be able to start to suggest shade loving plants that do not attract deer and such.
    However, I am knee deep in learning about Korean Natural Farming - which is all about improving the soil so anything will grow, anywhere. Future posts will be forthcoming, slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we don't have the chicken problem you have in your area!

      Delete
  12. That retaining wall looks great! Your deer don't eat hosta? I never thought of it, but I planted some hosta around a tree at the place where I used to work. The deer were pleased. It was gobbled up immediately. But we do have hostas on the shady side of the greenhouse. I guess I need to take a close look at those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't word that very elegantly but I was trying to equate hostas to crack cocaine when it comes to deer. They can't get enough of them and will go out of their way to gobble any up. We haven't raised a hosta since we moved to this house. Our previous house we had them growing everywhere but then, we didn't have any deer around the house either.

      Delete
  13. Wow it looks great! Your wife did well! I would put old farm stuff out there and then add planters with Impatiens or something...oh yes Deer like Impatiens...maybe solar lights!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment