I'm Living In the Future

 As I mentioned earlier, we had an unexpected death in the family and I felt I needed to go and support those who it affected most. They were there for me when my mom was dying and I have never forgotten that. So when word of the death came, I bought a plane ticket and flew into the deep south.

I remember my first flights as a young boy flying out west for a vacation with some distant relatives. It was such a treat to sit in a comfortable seat and have people wait on you as you were whisked thousands of miles away in a very short time. This feeling lasted well into my 20's until something shifted in that industry forever. Now, I look forward to flying just about as much as I would a double root canal. The seats are shoved so close together and shrunk to the point where claustrophobia sets in. This causes the passengers to be in foul moods. You are lucky now to get a tiny package of snack mix on all but the longest of flights. Airlines now charge for everything, including bags so now people are walking onto the plane carrying even the kitchen sink which leads to even more compaction. The experience of flying now feels more like what a piece of pork does immediately before entering into the grinder and sausage press. It is such a feeling of relief to be squirted out the airplane door at the destination.

It also baffles me how in a country where huge efforts are occurring to eliminate classes of people, that airlines and airports have been allowed to rampantly promote them. The affluent are celebrated and pampered right in front of the noses of the poor and nobody says a word. I understand the desire of obtaining a more spacious seat for more money but I don't understand the desire to rush on board the plane first only to have to sit there for 40 minutes as the rest of us shuffle by bumping you with bags. The only reason that I can guess it that those with money want to be seen as someone with money. 

I ponder how the experience of flying will change in the future. I'm sure it won't be pretty unless you have a lot of money to spend on airplane tickets. I myself prefer to drive if I can and see the world around me but this trip really didn't allow for it and so I flew. I hope I don't have to do so again for quite awhile. 

While flying lacked something to desire, the rental car actually exceeded expectations. I had reserved the basic car where I full expected to be rubbing shoulders with the person seated next to me but when we got to the huge parking ramp in Atlanta to pick it up, they were out of those kind and so we got an SUV instead with lots of room. But mother nature made up for the bonus by providing a down pour of rain for our two hour drive to rural Alabama. 

I wasn't sure what to expect of a southern funeral but it was a nice simple ceremony much like what ours are like here in the Midwest. We spent a day supporting grieving loved ones into the next chapter of their lives. Having recently been on the other side of this equation, I know it won't be an easy row to hoe for awhile. But amid the support and the grief, it was nice to see family again that I don't get to see all that often these days. Despite all the miles that separate us, we are still family. 

Then in the wee hours of the morning, we were up again to repeat the process of being ground up and stuffed into a intestinal casing only to feel that sense of relief when we were squirted out back on home turf. This wasn't the future that I envisioned way back as a kid on my first flight.

Comments

  1. That was really nice that you made the effort to be there Ed, but yikes on the flights. When I saw your title in my blog-feed, I was expecting something a bit rosier. I've been on 2 round trips in my life, the last one was in 1997 (a charter plane to the Bahamas) and I can just imagine how things have changed since then. I hope your tickets weren't too expensive at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were about double of what it would have cost had I bought them a few months ago but relatively speaking, they weren't bad.

      Delete
  2. Ed, that is pretty much the experience, more or less, now. I had the opportunity to compare airlines side by side this week: Southwest is whom I usually fly, but to get to the Grand Canyon one either flies to Phoenix and drives or flies to Flagstaff, which means American.

    American charges for luggage; Southwest does not. American has the upper ranks of seating; Southwest does not. Both airlines are cramped, though not more one than the other. Both serve your bag of snacks and a drink of your choice (within their choice). Flight attendants on both were pleasant, although how one could deal with people these days is a puzzle to me. I surely would have left.

    That said, I still think Southwest is a better deal. Or at least a more honest deal - and two bags flying free for no more money than any other ticket is a benefit.

    All of that said, I fear that this is exactly - in every way - what the future holds for us: tighter controls, less choices, more "cheek by jowl", and perhaps greater and more noticeable gaps between classes - a sort of return to Tudor England or Edo Japan with its classes, conspicuous consumption, and written or unwritten sumptuary laws.

    Not the Jetsons for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thinking. One of my worries with long legs that already have to be planted into the seatback in front of me (in chattle class) to fit, my hand is going to be forced to buy more expensive tickets just to fit in the seat.

      Delete
    2. Fortunately my genetics have helped me in at least that area - my stubby legs are close enough to fit anywhere.

      Delete
  3. It is a shame how dramatically the experience of flying has changed. I loved flying as a kid on National Airlines. They'd give us a meal and a deck of cards and some toy "wings" and it felt like a real adventure. After deregulation we wound up with a race to the bottom in terms of service and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experiences as a kid sound similar to mine. I pretty much peg the decline starting right around the 9/11 changes and have gone downhill fast every since.

      Delete
  4. I've never flown anything other than what use to be called "coach" Like you, I don't understand why the fancy front-of-the-jet people get on first. You'd think they'd want to wait until everyone else was loaded.

    It's always been my dream to fly first class someday (what I guess is now called business class?), preferable on an overseas flight. Who knows if that will ever happen, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about it too until I check the price. Especially on overseas flights, the price for one first class seat was about the cost of 5 tickets in coach. With 5 in my tribe, that means four additional trips could be paid for and I then put such thoughts aside.

      Delete
  5. I still like to fly--but then I have no choice with a daughter and family in New York. I have lots of reading for the trip and music to listen to on my iPhone. I almost always fly Alaska if I can because I'm very comfortable with that airline and their procedures. I'm glad that you got to spend the time with family. Funerals provide closure but also a chance to re-affirm our connections with the living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never flown Alaskan but I do have a preference to just about any Asian airline over any American airline. They have more room (with smaller average heights so go figure), better food and better service. Many have much newer planes too so have better entertainment options.

      Delete
    2. I flew Asiana in Business Class once. It was amazing.

      Delete
  6. At my age I go for comfort and convenience. So, I usually book economy in the business section going and first class returning. Hawaiian Airlines has a mileage program and I use miles to upgrade if possible. Sometimes I see even older people shuffle on and I want to give up my seat to them... but it is a fleeting thought. And I hardly travel nowadays, preferring to stay at home and putter in my yard and house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't begrudge people for flying first class. One can't take money beyond the grave so it might as well be spent. Perhaps when I'm at that stage in my life, I might partake of first class tickets. I however will probably be last to board.

      Delete
  7. Your description of flying as being akin to a sausage factory was at the same time amusing and tragically true. Once it felt like you were a valued guest aboard a flying machine, now you feel like a pig going to an abattoir. Budget airlines try to squeeze as much "extra" money out of you as they can. I think that the pandemic has caused a lot of people to reflect upon the very business of flying. Is it always necessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will go through great lengths if there is an alternative to flying, especially one that brings more enjoyment to the traveling process. But sometimes it is a necessary evil.

      Delete
  8. I hear you when it comes to airline comfort. I'm not very big but I find it very uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the seats have always generally been comfortable but I don't like having no space between my knees and the seat in front of me and the claustrophobic feeling in general.

      Delete
  9. It was nice that you went to support family, that is the important part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the important part and I'm glad I made the effort.

      Delete
  10. I haven't flown in forever and you've thoroughly convinced me that I'm not missing a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely aren't. I'll let you know if things change!

      Delete
  11. If I never fly again, I won’t miss it. And it is likely that I won’t fly again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say that definitively but with my wife's family overseas, it just isn't in my future.

      Delete
  12. I flew for the first time in a long time last month and felt much like you did. Besides that, I am glad you were able to spend time with your family and be there for them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m glad you were able to support your family, Ed and I know they appreciated your being there. It feels like forever since I’ve been on an airplane. And yet, it was just February of last year before the pandemic was in full swing. And yes, those airline seats have you packed like sardines. It’s insane… and then they wonder why people are going (as my daughter says) “batshit crazy.” I must be thinking about bats from your other post. I am looking forward to seeing my kids again someday, BUT not boarding a miserable airplane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got your other comments Kay. I don't do a lot of internet stuff on weekends which is why I was slow to approve them. Thanks for the heads up on the spammer. I have deleted most of their comments that had weird links in them but kept the one above since it didn't, maybe by mistake.

      Delete

Post a Comment