Mud Day

Two weeks later...

Finally the stars aligned and the day concrete was available to be delivered and my concrete guy had a few hours of free time arrived. Unfortunately, the rock hard nature of my lawn due to several weeks of no rain had been interrupted by several different rains and so it was not so firm anymore. Above is a picture showing the concrete truck up on the street and I'm standing in my backyard about 20 feet away from the concrete slab being poured and this is the gradual slope where they intended to haul the concrete loader full at a time. On the other side of my house, while a much more direct route, is the very steep hill that we were trying to avoid.


The loader did tear up the lawn a bit and left some ruts but all things considered, it isn't bad. The lawnmower guys might not like it but their days are numbered anyway once I get the lawnmower half of the shed built and a lawnmower obtained. The loader could hold approximately 1/4 cubic yards of concrete at a time and we ordered 4-1/4 cubic yards total. I had figured up we needed 3.6 cubic yards just for the greenhouse slab alone and 3.75 for it and the compost slab. One thing I have learned over the years is it is much cheaper to order too much than to order too little and 4 cubic yards was the minimum amount without another surcharge being tacked onto the bill. My concrete guy says there is always 1/4 cubic yards left in the truck and so we settled on the 4-1/4 cubic yard number.

An hour later, the greenhouse forms were full and leveled out, the compost slab was full and leveled out and an extra form I had thrown together at the last moment just in case was full and leveled out. That form above will eventually be a step into the greenhouse side of the building so I poured it on a sheet of plastic so hopefully I can move it into place when it is cured.


 Above shows the slab I am pouring for our compost bins also shown, around the corner of the house so not visible from the street. We toss all our compost in those bins and then when full, haul them down the hill behind where the greenhouse will be to a pile there. Eventually we hope to use that composted soil in the greenhouse. After all the forms were full and troweled smooth, we had perhaps two or three round point shovel full of cement left over so our order ended up being as close to perfect as possible. I am relieved to have this part done. The large majority of materials are slated to arrive in a week and a half and then all things out of my control should be past and I can proceed at my own pace for a change instead of someone else. Until then, I will let the concrete cure overnight, start removing the forms, level out the dirt around the slab, get it scored to prevent cracking and perhaps get the step heaved into place.

Comments

  1. I am in awe of your arithmetical skills in estimating how much concrete you would need. Shame about the ruts in the grass. You might need to fork them up when the ground is softer again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I will probably wait until spring before doing anything. Several good freeze thaw cycles might do a lot to level things out again.

      Delete
  2. Boy that looks like some backbreaking work, but I enjoyed seeing these poured photos Ed! The various concrete pours look great, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual pouring of concrete isn't terribly hard work until it comes to moving it from point A to point B. With the skidsteer, that part was taken care of so they mostly just raked it around to even it out and I pulled my temporary braces out as the trenches filled in.

      Delete
  3. So nice and smooth!! Ours always end up with a paw print or leaf impression in them somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the leaves hadn't started falling and I kept an eye out for deer for a couple hours before it has set up enough I could stop worrying.

      Delete
  4. That looks great! What a relief to have it now be on your terms instead of at the mercy of others. (and the weather!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I thought so anyway. Then came getting the building materials delivered.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is really impressive! After all the worry, I’m glad it’s finally done so perfectly. I’ll look forward to seeing all the progress you’ll make on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great Ed - really a firm foundation to start the project on.

    (Sigh. I cannot help myself...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I went this route. I hope the rest is as solidly built.

      Delete
  7. I know it's a relief to finally get the slab poured. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for my ignorance, but I have never been around anyone doing this. Do the forms not stick to the concrete when you try to remove them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't. I just give them a couple taps with a rubber mallet and they pop free. You do want to wait a day and be careful because when the concrete is still green (i.e. not fully cured) you can pop a chunk off an edge or corner.

      Delete
  9. Phew! Glad it went well and the foundation is set!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. Glad it all worked out... finally. Looking good, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is always exciting to see a new project taking shape.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment