Getting There


 Yesterday I put up the wall that will divide the halves of the building but needed to devote my attention to getting new brakes and rotors on my vehicle. Although I suppose I probably could do that myself, it is one of those things I am comfortable paying someone else to do with the right tools and where they can put it up on a lift to work on things easier... at least until I saw the bill. Getting brakes was a lot more expensive than I remembered but then, I have sold three different vehicles between then and now and so it has been a long time since the last brake job I paid for. 

Today was a grunt, pure and simple. Because the greenhouse side will have lots of windows, I opted to put in some headers to carry the load of the roof structure and not transfer said load to the windows where it can cause problems. On the first side, I decided to leave the header out to save weight when I swung the wall into place and then put it in place afterwards. That turned out to be a big mistake for a couple reasons. The lumber of course, is crooked as a river bottom road and getting it into place has required me to use an arsenal of clamps to persuade it. The other reason is that trying to lift a heavy header up and pound it into place from a step ladder isn't the easiest. But after much sweat and toil, I persevered. On the opposing side, I fastened the header in while the wall was laying on the floor and just hefted it up with the wall. Heavy, but much much easier.

Whipped and getting hot in the sun, I called it a day. I have the end wall left to do with the doorway into the greenhouse portion of the building and anchor everything to the concrete permanently before lots of detail work to wrap up. Then I can begin sheathing and cutting rafters out while waiting on the ridge beam and roofing materials.

Notice my wheelbarrow full of tools. It gets old walking the 50 yards back uphill every time I need a tool so I stick it in the wheelbarrow. As time has gone by, my wheelbarrow has filled up but my trips to get another tool have been reduced to only rare occasions. Now I just wheel it down first thing in the morning and wheel it back up to the garage when I quit.

Comments

  1. It's looking great! I just had all four of my brakes replaced and I share your shock. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I'm not alone in being surprised about the cost of a brake job.

      Delete
  2. We recently had our rear brakes done. It was very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it is just time and inflation or something to do with Covid?

      Delete
  3. I appreciate the wheelbarrow and the ladder in the photo. They help with perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it eight feet wide by twenty feet long by eight feet tall on the sides. I'm not sure why I went that tall other than I could buy the studs precut to end up that tall. Perhaps it will allow for a shelf up higher allow us to work in there with a pogo stick. It just felt right at the time though now that I'm working on the roof, I wish it were a bit shorter.

      Delete
  4. That is an incredible amount of progress. The tools in the wheelbarrow is a great idea. I'm shuddering at the idea of having any car work done. My 2018 only has about 22,000 miles on it, so I'm hoping I'm good for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 22,000 miles is just getting broke in so I would hope you have a long way to go and even then, just routine stuff for awhile.

      Delete
  5. Ed... wow. I don't know what to say, but it's pretty impressive looking. My admiration for your builder skills grows with each update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I can get it weather tight before the snow flies. That is my battle right now even though I have to quit due to the heat. Winter tends to sneak up on us here.

      Delete
  6. You are a true problem solver and know how to make life and chores easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necessity is the mother of invention... or so the saying goes.

      Delete
  7. Ed, I usually think of the logical thing (tools in the wheelbarrow, for example) only after I have exhausted all other difficult options.

    I have friends that have done brake work. Brakes just fall into that category of things I would just rather have someone that know what they are doing perform. And yes, it is not very cheap - although I wonder how much the overall supply chain issues have added to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my own brother has done his own brakes. I'm pretty confident I could but it would require a set of tools I don't own and time I don't want to carve out of my schedule.

      Delete
  8. I love seeing your progress.Looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey it is looking good! Yes a wheelbarrow can be used for many things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent progress! Keep up the good work young man.
    What did you mean by "It gets old..." in the final paragraph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an expression meaning that by doing something often, the novelty of it wears off or it "grows old", becomes tiresome. I don't know where that expression came from other than it has always been around me growing up here in the Midwest of America.

      Delete
  11. Are you going to use poly carbonate panels for the windows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought some cheap windows for four of the spaces and the other four places I plan to just build something out of wood and plexiglass to slip in there. I did this so at least four of the windows could be opened up for some ventilation instead of trying to build in some louvers or complicated lift up roof panels.

      Delete
  12. I’m feeling exhausted for you. The wheelbarrow is a great idea. It’s a good thing you’re an engineer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment