Delivery Clarification

 The day of the delivery for my supplies came and went without any notification. In a way I wasn't too upset as we had a house full of guests at the time and it would have been inconvenient for the delivery. But I dropped the last one off at the airport and when I got home I got loaded up for bear and called the big box store and after wading through the menu options, finally spoke with a young man in their delivery department. This time, I got much different results.

When I asked why my three original orders got broken up into 17 sub orders, he said the hurricane down south really threw a wrench into things and they broke out hard to get items into special orders so it wouldn't slow the rest of the things down. Okay, I said, so where are the rest of the things. Well they were just waiting so they could deliver everything at once. Okay I said, so one, special ordering to separate does nothing and two, I broke my order into three separate orders when I placed it and paid for two separate shipping charges (one order I picked up from the store) so I could get things delivered sooner than other things. 

At this point he does a lot of mumbling and figuring out what is here and what isn't and after awhile I break in and ask, is there any reason you can't go ahead and deliver what you have right now (which includes the lumber I need next) and then put all the remaining items on the second delivery? He assured me he could but I would have to pay a second delivery charge. So I reiterated that I had already paid for two delivery charges so it shouldn't cost me a cent more than I have already paid for them to do so. More mumbling and typing and finally he said yes, they absolutely could do that and would tomorrow work for the first delivery. 

Absolutely I said.

So hopefully tomorrow is the day and I can get started framing instead of watching beautiful fall day after beautiful fall day pass me by with nothing but watching the concrete cure. 

Meanwhile, I'm marking out stud locations on the sill plate so I can get off to a quick start. The sill plate is made from my recycled concrete forms. C stands for cripple stud, X for a full length stud and J for a jack stud. They all have their specific purpose. I also marked out the location of the sill plate so I wouldn't put them in the wrong location and wrote down the rough opening dimensions for easy reference. The only thing left is to predrill holes for where I plan to screw them down to the concrete slab.



Comments

  1. You're itching to go. I hope your delivery comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The saga continues!! I think Anvilcloud summed it up nicely. :^) Will you be the only man on the job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part yes. My wife has volunteered to help on weekends when we aren't doing something else which is a rare weekend.

      Delete
  3. Ed - I find it fascinating (and alarming) that the storm has put such a kink in getting your starting materials - and am as aggravated as you are about the magical games one has to play to get this all in place.

    That said, here is hoping it all comes together soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least they aren't high priced and hard to get like they were earlier in the year. Foreshadowing, I received my first delivery and as I type this, my second delivery should be here in the next ten minutes according to the phonecall I just received.

      Delete
  4. "Jack stud" sounds like an Iowan term for a gigolo.

    I hope you can get the main structure built and weatherproof before Winter bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is better than being called a cripple stud.

      Delete
  5. The hoops one must jump through to get something simple worked out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this is all sort of like survivor bias. I only remember the missed deliveries and not all the ones that came on time.

      Delete
  6. Glad you worked it out, but it's becoming so exhausting to deal with businesses these days. Once everything is there, you can get to work and it sounds like it's happening as scheduled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing seems to work as smoothly anymore... and this was before the pandemic. For a service driven society, we seem to be slipping on the service aspect.

      Delete
  7. Your conversation with (and I'm thinking of a name of a business here) sounds like a cat chasing it's tail. Conversations like this make me grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the fellow was easy to understand and seemed to be cheerful so it was hard to get grumpy even with the circular logic. It was a bonus that the delivery proceeded first thing the next day as promised.

      Delete
  8. Good luck, Ed. It seems like we all our waiting on things these days. It is at least a month out for some of the doctor appointments I am trying to make for me, the family or the pets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you get your order soon! Too bad it wasn't Amazon. I can't believe how efficient they are BUT I get a bit afraid that they are taking over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get over how you're doing so much of this on your own. I would love to just watch you do this. My husband did build our deck in Illinois almost all by himself, but it's nothing like what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment