Construction Underway

The very next day, I kick off the construction phase of this project. Because I'll be waiting on my ridge beams for two weeks, there really isn't a killing hurry but I would like to get it up, stabilized and anchored to the concrete before a big blow comes through and pushes it all down.

My process is pretty simple. I assemble a section of the wall while laying on the nice flat concrete slab and then make sure it is perfectly square. I then screw a diagonal board across the back which prevents the entire thing from racking. Because I assemble everything with the outside face facing up, the brace has to go on the outside of the building where it will eventually be in the way of the siding. At some point, I will move the diagonal board onto the inside where it will be out of the way. With everything squared up and braced, I then staple some foam to the bottom side of the sill plate to fill that gap so insects and such can't enter. Then I stand it up.

The first one I stood up, I made sure to pound in a stake and screw in a board near ground level that I could use as a brace to keep the entire section from falling over. I plumbed up the wall and screwed the upper end of the brace in place. Then it was just rinse and repeat for the next two sections of wall. Below you can see the doorway for the storage section of the building and some more temporary bracing. I hope to get the rest of the walls installed in the next two days, get everything trued up and then permanently fasten things down to the slab where it can't go anywhere. Just in case anyone notices and calls it out, the cripples above the doorway header have been cut but I hadn't put them in place before this picture was taken. For those that don't know what a cripple is, at least in construction parlance, it is a short board that fills the gap between the top plate and the header to transfer any loads to the header which is the structural element for the doorway area.


 

Comments

  1. It's coming on nicely young man. Keep up the good work and remember...
    People yakkity-yak a streak
    And waste your time of day,
    but Mister Ed will never speak
    Unless he has something to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely had many a person stop me while out and about and ask what is going on in my backyard!

      Delete
  2. Yorkshire Pudding gave me a chuckle! Ed it sure looks like you're off to a good start--this is very impressive, I wonder how much you're saving, doing all the work on your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far I've spent around $3400 in concrete and materials, including those that have yet to be delivered and taking account of the rebate I got for ordering during Menard's 11% off sale. Had I hired out everything, I imagine just the concrete alone would have cost about that much and a custom build shed probably a couple times that much. That doesn't count in the time factor which is the biggest reason I'm doing this myself. Hiring it out would mean I would be lucky to get on someone's short list a year from now. Hiring someone for small projects like this is very hard to do.

      Delete
  3. Impressive as always Ed. I am confident the final product will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me wonder how you got to learn this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years of experience of living on an active farm.

      Delete
  5. It’s always fascinating to track your progress! I’m trusting all will go well as you move toward completion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine anyone calling you out on anything. I feel sure you know exactly what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are lots of holes to be poked but at the end of the day, it is a shed and not a house.

      Delete
  7. I don't know enough to comment but I am in awe of those who can build a structure with all its complexities. My late husband was one such. I just stayed out of his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is all gung ho for various projects until I start rattling off everything that needs to be done just so we can start it and then the eyes glaze over.

      Delete
  8. I would love to build like you! Measure twice and cut once. That already is a problem for me since I am impatient and trust that all will work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather build furniture than buildings but it is a nice change of pace.

      Delete
  9. I know there's a good, simple way you're anchoring all that framing to the concrete, but it must take some doing. I'm in awe of your precision. I love how you're making sure insects don't come in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a post showing how I anchored it to the concrete coming up.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. They do make sealants now that would replace the foam and I did think about it for awhile. But knowing I was going to be doing this myself and having to muscle sections of wall into place, I didn't want to smear the caulking to the point it wasn't sealing anymore. Foam is way more forgiving in that aspect.

      Delete
  11. You've done some very good planning on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to or face lots of trips to the store or lots of excess lumber that I would have to store somewhere.

      Delete
  12. I love watching a project take shape. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a pile of cheap windows like someone I know! I didn't plan far enough on that aspect.

      Delete
  13. Looks great, Ed. Glad you are making progress and the weather is cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been unseasonably warm here thus far this fall. But it hasn't been bad so I'm not going to complain.

      Delete

Post a Comment