Waiting On Sand


Life would be a lot simpler if I lived on an area with a flat lawn but you can't get everything it seems. And so I spent a lot of time filling in the forms so that any concrete I pour into them doesn't end up at the bottom of the hill and pounding a lot of stakes and bracing to keep the forms in place when the immense weight of the concrete is poured into the form. 

Initially when I started this project, I had hoped that the dirt from the rat barrier would be enough to fill up much of the inside so that things were level but after digging one side of it, I canned that idea. A rat barrier is a narrow trench that get dugs in around the inside perimeter of the future concrete slab to prevent rodents and such from digging up underneath the concrete and making it a deluxe apartment. I also think it probably helps keep the structure rooted in place. The dirt from digging the rat barrier is dried out clay and it would take a lot of moisture and effort to pack it down dense enough that it wouldn't settle over time and cause cracking problems in the slab. So I am just going to toss it around the outside and use it as backfill when I remove the forms and seed it down later. Instead, I am just going to get a load of sand which packs down easily to take up much of the low spots. 

Getting sand is easier said than done. It seems like it always takes me several messages left over a period of a week before I ever get a call back. After a week and several messages, I finally got a call back and sand is supposed to be delivered in a couple days, hopefully before a big rain. That way perhaps the truck can back down the hill into my backyard and dump the sand right into the form. If not, I will be doing a lot of grunt work moving it wheelbarrow at a time down a fairly steep slope. 

Comments

  1. Ed, that looks like a lot of work. You're getting there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Minnesota we would dig out the sod and black dirt and then put the sand in:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would too, especially if this were a non-floating slab with footers below frost line. But this slab is designed to just float on top of the ground and so that removing the soil only means more work and more sand.

      Delete
  3. I sure hope for your sake that truck can back in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was able to, but not without it's complication. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  4. I can't see the photo, but I'm glad that you've figured it out and are getting the sand. I think many construction places are overwhelmed. I had many house projects done around here and since people are staying home more, I know I'm not alone. I laughed at your deluxe apartment remark. (but I'm sure it's not funny when it occurs!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure you have been around my blog long enough but I've had a long standing feud with ground squirrels and their "condo building" next to my house foundation. I "evict" one tenant and raze their home only to go out a week later and find another one has rebuilt the home and moved in!

      Delete
  5. That is quite a levelling that you are doing. In the photo, there is am illusion that makes your work look skewgee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hard a hard time capturing a photo that doesn't look like that with my cellphone. The lens is just too wide of an angle. I could probably get a better one with my SLR and long lens but it just seems like so much work for so little benefit. I'll never enlarge this photo or even probably look at it again.

      Delete
  6. I am not overly surprised about the sand, as it seems to be true a lot of other construction materials.

    And here is hoping you can get the truck down there! Wheelbarrow work sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wheelbarrow didn't scare me so much as there is a very steep hill with about a 10 foot drop right at the start, the same place I slipped on wet grass and broke three ribs a couple years ago. It just doesn't seem prudent to attempt it with a full wheelbarrow and then repeated dozens of times.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you have done this before and are doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I helped my dad pour lots of building and bin foundations over the years but this is the first time I am "project lead"!

      Delete
  8. Getting there! I enjoy seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think there is any reason that a truck can't back up your hill and dump. Husband pro-tip: this is how you convince your wife that a dump truck is an absolute necessity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do no such thing. I just don't have the acreage to store such a vehicle! But it might be a good excuse to get some more cordless tools later on in the project.

      Delete
  10. Do you hope to have this project finished before winter sets in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I can. If I can get the concrete poured, I should have two good months of fair weather to get it built and at least dried in. But with shortages of materials and at least one delivery I'm going to have to schedule, who knows. If I don't, it won't be from lack of trying.

      Delete
  11. I hope you get your wish with the sand, Ed. It looks like you have put in a lot of work already so maybe you are due for a break. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the sand. Now if I could just get my wish for concrete.

      Delete

Post a Comment