Vacation Scenery Part One

One of our first stops was to a small museum in a university building dedicated to physics experiments. Unfortunately, this picture through the very clean door glass was as close as we got as it was closed probably due to Covid. There was no sign explaining why it wasn't open.

So we took the long way back to our vehicle by walking through a garden in front of another one of the college campus buildings. This one even had grapes growing on a garden arbor and there may or may not be a few of them missing when they go to harvest them.

Trying to capture a bee busy at work harvesting pollen.

We continued on to Olbrich Gardens which we had stopped once before but in late fall when it was cold and most of the displays were heading towards dormancy. This time everything was green and lush. I couldn't help but let my inner Monet take a picture of the lily pads.

Underwater rock garden and fountain.

Japanese style pagoda being worked on.

Sleeping lion


 I'm not sure what the things in the foreground are but it just caught my eye with the sun lit hostas in the background and the rock wall beyond them.

Comments

  1. Your vacation photos are fantastic, both the food ones and the scenery. You have an eye for a good photograph Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty cool pagoda, love the lily pads too--this is all still in Madison, Wisconsin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were. Last time I visited the pagoda, it was a chilly and windy fall day but we lingered around a bit. This time it was blazing hot and since the pagoda was getting work done on it and was roped off, there wasn't a bit of shade to linger so we didn't stay very long.

      Delete
    2. You took wonderful shots! Love their variety. You have a great eye for photography!

      Delete
  3. The garden looks enjoyable. Photographing bees is difficult, or at least difficult to get sharp. I tried recently and failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a lot easier with a DSLR and a longer focal length lens. Getting too close with a cell phone to a moving object and unsteady hands doesn't lend itself to sharp pictures.

      Delete
    2. But still, I am amazed at how well I can do with a cell phone camera and unsteady hands. Not many years ago, it wouldn't have been able to get a picture half as sharp as what I did this time.

      Delete
  4. Love all your photos, Ed. It's a shame the museum wasn't open. I always enjoy places like that (and so did my kids). Water lilies might look pretty, but they're never a welcome sight in our pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love physics so was really jonesing for it. Maybe someday in the future when there is no more Covid worries.

      Delete
  5. That underwater rock garden is serene looking but as the former county west nile virus person, my first thought is how do they keep mosquitoes from breeding in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mosquitoes like to lay eggs in stagnate water but that water has movement to it. Is it enough to prevent mosquitoes? I don't know.

      Delete
  6. Nice pictures of Olbrich Gardens. Michael B. Olbrich's middle name was Balthasar. I wonder what yours is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed, some of the best "museum" exhibits I have found are in universities that one would not otherwise know about. Same is true of gardens and experimental plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found out the same thing which is why I strolled over that way for a look see.

      Delete
  8. Nice pictures! That underwater rock garden and fountain was interesting because it was clear. Here in Hawaii, there would be algae everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the water is treated like a pool or there would be algae in it here too, at least during the summer months.

      Delete
  9. Actually it looks more Thai than Japanese. A pagoda would have several tiers I think. This looks like just a shelter of some sort. It’s very pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just looked it up. They call it a pavilion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment