Greenhouse Part One


 One of the deficiencies in having our garden 40 miles away at the farm is that we don't have access to a greenhouse. There is a greenhouse there but without daily care, it is for the most part useless to us. Having a greenhouse would allow us to raise things from seed to provide earlier crops before the dry months of late summer hit or longer season stuff like peppers. My wife also dreams of sticking some house plants out there in the summer months instead of living all their lives indoors. 

When we purchased this property, I moved in with a tiny 16" push mower which wasn't up to the task of keeping up over 2 acres of lawn on steep slopes. The people we bought the house from gave me the phone number to their mower guy and I gave him a call. His price was such that to buy a new mower would probably take five to six years of paying him to pay off. As it turned out with several dry years in there, it was closer to eight. I would eventually like to get a mower to do it myself but I have no place to store one. My garage is full of woodworking stuff and other things and I don't want to just leave it outside under the weather. A storage shed would make the most sense.

So, after kicking the idea around, we decided that the only feasible option is to build a greenhouse/storage shed somewhere out behind our house. I drew up a detailed plan of the design and then we went out there to stick some flags in the ground just to get an idea of scale because everything looks much bigger in a computer than in real life. We measured and placed flags and immediately decided it was too small. It would have worked but just and anyone knows, when you build a building, you need to build it bigger than you need and that still won't be big enough. So I increased it four feet in length. I think this will be much better and rid our garage of a lot of lawn/garden type stuff. But due to the last minute change of plans, all my details need to be redone and I haven't done them yet. The model above however will give you the gist of things. Storage on the left with ample space for a riding lawn mower and other tools and a greenhouse on the right. 

Comments

  1. Looks like a good plan to me (I love floor plans). Yes, going a bit bigger than you think you need is wise, in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be big enough and not instant regret it is too small.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. More of a rough plan to help me gauge material needs.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been here long enough, I didn't know your farm was 40 miles away! Well Mr.Handyman, looking forward to this greenhouse :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were closer or I still lived on the farm but it truly is out in the middle of nowhere and not convenient for my spouse's career.

      Delete
  4. That's an excellent plan; a storage area/greenhouse is a perfect addition and will relieve some crowding. Bigger is always better within reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will make room for a nice mobile wood working bench.

      Delete
  5. Looks great! I would also add a toilet and sink just because I like having a toilet outside of the house just in case. You will understand when you get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it is located right next to our septic leech field, I'm not particularly wanting to drain a toilet completely every winter to protect it from freezing solid and expanding, something you don't have to worry about on a tropical Pacific island.

      Delete
  6. After faithfully reading your blog a few years, it surprises me not one bit that you’re building a greenhouse! I look forward to your sharing your progress with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife asked about a nearby tree that we planted and if it will shade it. I said yes, perhaps in 15 years but I probably won't be using the greenhouse in 15 years.

      Delete
  7. This looks like a great project Ed. May we assume that you will be building the whole structure from scratch? Good luck to you. It will be so satisfying when you see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to hire out the actual pouring of concrete since it requires a skidsteer type device to get it from my driveway to the site but other than that, I hope to do the rest myself.

      Delete
  8. I'm sure many people would love to have a shed like this on their property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one before at a previous house but it was one of those cheap assembled kits that was nearly rusted through after about five years. We left it when we moved.

      Delete
  9. well, that should keep you out of mischief for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing more satisfying than mapping out a project like this and then getting it done. I love our greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had your stash of windows! I have none and will have to find/buy some.

      Delete

Post a Comment