Deaths of a Family

George Thomas Heppenstall on right.

I recently received an email from someone asking if I had any information on George Thomas Heppenstall, the adult man in the photo above. It was a name I was familiar with only because of a ten year struggle to determine the knotted puzzle left behind by my Chicken/Baker ancestors. Before I knew about the name change from Chicken to Baker, I had gone down my family tree looking for clues and thus ran into the story of George Thomas Heppenstall.

After my third great grandfather Joseph Chicken/Baker, the person who did the name change for reasons unknown, his wife Frances Ann Bolton Baker married a man by the name of Thomas H. Heppenstall. Thomas's family were English immigrants much like the parents of Joseph and wife Frances and all three of them had spent time at one point in Colchester, Illinois. Thus I assume they were all acquainted with one another and so not entirely unreasonable for them to marry after Joseph died his untimely death. The marriage between Thomas Heppenstall and Frances Ann Bolton Baker Heppenstall would produce one child, Lena P. Heppenstall.

Back Row L-R: John Henry Baker, France Ellen Baker Osgood, Robert James Baker/Chicken and Charles Webster Baker/Chicken/Baker
Front Row L-R: Lena P. Heppenstall, Frances Ann Bolton Baker Heppenstall, Thomas H. Heppenstall and Mary Jane Baker Rodenberger

Lena P. Heppenstall can be seen above with all her half siblings. (A quick word of note to clarify some of the surnames. Robert James was born a Baker but changed his name back to Chicken. Charles Webster was also born a Baker, changed his name to Chicken and then back to Baker.) When Lena reached adulthood, she married Fred H. Grattan a moulder in the Iowa Dairy. Until this recent email, I hadn't done a lot of research on him but when I noticed he died at age 32, I decided to take a closer look and found the following article of him dropping dead of an apparent heart attack at a train station.


As the article mentions, it was traumatic for all, including their son George Thomas Heppenstall. For young George, another tragedy would follow the loss of his father. His mother would die just four years later after a long struggle with tuberculosis. 


Apparently, she may have married in those four years because of the surname of Wait though I can find no records for Mr. Wait. More on him in a moment. She is buried next to husband Fred and my 3rd great grandmother Frances Ann Bolton Baker Heppenstall in Greenwood Cemetery in Cedar Falls, Iowa and I have visited it a number of times. Frances's second husband is buried next to her and my 3rd great grandfather, and her first husband Joseph Chicken/Baker is buried about 50 yards to the east all by himself.

George Thomas Heppenstall would be adopted by my 3rd great grandmother and her second husband and raised up until adulthood. But I'm sure the tragedies in his life continued to haunt him and I'm told he may have been a bit bipolar. One morning on his way to start the car for a family outing, he shot himself in the head. He was only 27 and not much older than the picture at the head of this post.

George's wife mentioned in the article above would remarry and have another child which is the person who contacted me via email and started this whole trip down memory lane. One of the two sons mentioned above is starting their journey into their ancestry and was looking for more information. Unfortunately, George's wife is a product of a closed adoption so records are inaccessible. George's father Mr. Wait, well he remains a mystery. All I can provide is information on George's mother on back through the Chickens from England and I have done so. I have poked around a bit on Mr. Wait but haven't found a marriage record or really any mention of him. There are a few records for Waits in the vicinity but they are mostly married men. I suspect that the marriage was just a common law marriage or perhaps George was born out of wedlock which is why his surname is always listed as Heppenstall and not Wait. 

The son of George is/has taken some DNA tests so may someday learn the answers to these hypothesis and I hope that he will pass them onto me so I can mark this mystery buried in my family tree as solved.


Comments

  1. I have to admit that I soon get lost in the minutia, but I am always impressed by your sleuthing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. It is hard for me to write it coherently and I had a ten year head start!

      Delete
  2. I am so amazed at your research and that there are so many photos surviving of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This digital age really shines when it comes to genealogy. The first photos everyone scans seems to be the old family photos.

      Delete
  3. Like Anvilcloud, I got a little tangled in the branches here but it's amazing what you've done here, Ed! Um, I can understand the name change from Chicken... but the young deaths here, my God. Heart failure at 32? Tuberculosis at 29, suicide at 27... Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely hard times but I do admit, it is easy to focus on those stories over the multitude of my ancestors that just married, had kids and lived long lives. They aren't interesting to write about.

      Delete
    2. You're right, you make a good point!

      Delete
  4. As a person who has also done genealogy, I know how tangled those threads can get! You have done an impressive amount of research. I really should have roughed out a paper family tree because the one on ancestry doesn't work well for me. (perhaps because I need to see the whole picture?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried the paper version but just haven't gotten it to work. There is no good place for all the stories which is what I am interested in. Ancestry does a good job of keeping everything tied to the person and being digital, is also there for someone else to find someday.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, what a twisted family history web! Where do you fit in?

    I love those old photos. I don't have any that go back further than 1915. I can't imagine the struggles and hardships the older generation went through. I am so spoiled with appliances that do everything, freedom to roam and explore, and air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started my pursuit into my ancestry, I didn't have a single old photo probably beyond the 1950's. Now I have more than I can count though many are still digital copies. So there is hope if you want to put in the effort.

      Delete
  6. The surname Heppenstall is derived from the Yorkshire place name Heptonstall. I went there to see the grave of the American writer Sylvia Plath who is buried in the churchyard there. Also I notice that there is a street in an old industrial part of my home city - Sheffield called Heppenstall Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I have never researched much on Heppenstall since they aren't blood relation but my ancestors from the Chicken family come from the Durham region as far back as I can trace them in the early 1800's and the Bolton family came from the Yorkshire region and those that went back to England I've been able to trace into the early 1900's and probably there are many of them still there though the surname changed to Hirst.

      Delete
  7. I wonder why so many name changes? Perhaps to confuse inquisitive descendants? Those news stories of the day! Imagine such a private scene shared publicly for every one to read about. And the last story? It leaves me with more questions than it answers. That poor man. His poor family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting stories, how wonderful that you share info with your relatives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment