Vacation Recap: Part 2

After a well rested stop at my brother's house, we set off for Savannah, Georgia. All along the trip thus far, we had been forewarned of the massive crowds that would be clogging the roads leading up to the fourth and including this day, the day after the fourth, but never saw any of that. Instead the roads seemed very sparsely populated with traffic. Perhaps all the dire warnings scared people off?

We made it to Savannah in good time and were soon enjoying the parks with all the live oaks garnished with Spanish moss that they are known for. We spent all day there and then headed out to the suburbs in the evening for a more reasonably priced motel room.

The following day we set forth north with big plans to see Charleston, South Carolina and indeed we made it there and walked down their famed Market Street for awhile. However as we set forth to go see other areas of town, I inadvertently parked too close to a curb that had been lined with large pointy rocks that poked a hole in the sidewall of my front tire. For the second road trip in a row, I was driving across town on a run flat tire that was flat (our vehicle has no spare), to the nearest Toyota dealership who is the only place that stocks these things and throwing myself at their mercy since I had no appointment. The Charleston Toyota dealership was quite busy but were able to get a new tire put on (after 28 cars ahead of me got serviced) and even gave us a ride to a local seafood place to cool our heals and eat a shrimp boil while waiting. Four hours later we were back on the road but due to Elsa on our heals, we no longer had the time to spend in Charleston and headed north. We did stop and see the Angel tree, names after the former owners of the land, which was evidently quite well known judging from the crowd there. Personally, I would have fenced everyone clear away from the tree instead of allowing people to roam all around it and posting a park ranger who had to shout at people every 15 seconds to not touch or lean against the tree as lots of signs had warned not to do. 

We put in a long evening driving after leaving Charleston because the following day, we had a ferry appointment to catch a ride out to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. This had been the part of our trip that had been iffy with Tropical Storm Elsa but it had slowed down and was only just making landfall in Florida as we enjoyed a beautiful 2 1/2 hour ferry ride out.

I had pictured the Outer Banks as a place with lots of ocean views while driving and indeed one could see the ocean if you pulled off the road and walked over the dunes but from the vehicle, we mostly could just see brush and sand dunes. So we juggled stopping and making distance during the heat of the day for a few ocean views. We also got some very fresh oysters for a late lunch.

Just thought I would include this GPS screenshot which is something I never see on it back in Iowa. The second ferry we took was supposed to be an half hour long but took almost an hour and a half. As you can see above, we were quite a ways outside the marked ferry route. I suspect that a previous hurricane probably rearranged the shallows quite a bit which lengthened the journey.

Towards evening and near the end of our Outer Banks journey, we did stop at beach for awhile for a swim in the ocean. That evening, we ended up in Chesapeake, Virginia where some distant cousins of my wife lived and had invited us to stay for a couple nights. They took us smelt fishing in the evening and had planned on taking us crabbing the next night but by then, Tropical Storm Elsa caught us and the day was rained out. Instead they drove us around showing us the sights from their vehicle.


 At one point, in-between bands of rain from Elsa, we did stop at another beach where we watched crabs from a distance and the girls swam. The next morning, we finally turned our vehicle back towards the west and headed towards home. Like we sometimes do, we got to the point where sleeping in our own beds became more attractive than sleeping in another strange bed, despite the late hour. So with an hour and a half stuck in a traffic jamb east of Indianapolis, we still made it home a few minutes before midnight and spent the night in our own beds, a day sooner than we had planned. It was worth it.

Comments

  1. That region has always seemed so interesting and appealing when I have read about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never set foot in North or South Carolina before this trip and only briefly entered Virginia once during a trip to Washington D.C. so for me, this was was all new ground. When I have more time, I would like to go back and spend some more time in the area.

      Delete
  2. I have visited Savannah. It's a lovely town. Some of the cobbles by the wharf came from English ships - used as ballast. I have never been to North Carolina - nor have I visited The Outer Banks. Thanks for taking us there Ed. I am envious of your road trip but what a pain that puncture must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed a big pain at the time but as we got off and did other things, it quickly faded.

      Delete
  3. What an adventure, though sorry to read about your tire! My sister lives in Charleston, it doesn't get much prettier than that--but Savannah probably comes close. Enjoyed your round 2 of pics too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your sister doesn't decorate her curb out front with sharp rocks!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos! My brother and SIL visited Charleston recently and enjoyed it. As for comparing Charleston and Savannah, my daughter and her husband preferred the latter, feeling it was a much "friendlier" place. I've never been to either, but would like to visit someday.

    Isn't it strange how people ignore signs telling them what not to do in public places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was terrible and there is nothing to gain by allowing people to wander all around the branches without touching them.

      Delete
  5. I would love to visit the Carolinas too. I am phobic about tire problems, especially if I'm away from home or if I don't have cell service. It looks like you made many fabulous memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to be tire problem phobic but it will probably weigh more heavily on my mind the next road trip!

      Delete
  6. Do have any idea how old that tree is? It's amazing! Why doesn't your vehicle have a spare, just out of curiosity. I thought they all did, so this is a new 'think' for me. My son and DIL and Iris are at the Outer Banks this very minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably said but I was so disgusted by the crowds and the shouting that I just took my picture and left right away. I do know there was a Wikipedia article on it if you google Angle Tree in Charleston but I don't remember what it said. I think it was 1000+ years. The minivan is AWD which means it has a driveshaft running where the spare tire would be located so Toyota's solution was to use run flat tires and not include a spare. If you get the non-AWD version, it has a regulation donut spare.

      Delete
  7. I have been to these places and of all three (Savannah, Charleston, Outer Banks), I rank the Outer Banks far above the other two. Sounds like a great trip (other than the flat tire).

    ReplyDelete
  8. The oaks and moss are amazing.

    We took a trip to Virginia years ago and went to Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Mt. Vernon. All very much worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really had an awesome trip. That tree is HUGE and I love seeing all the Spanish moss. Thank you so much for sharing your fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always so wonderful to be home, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment