Keeping Us Humble

The first year of our expanded garden is definitely keeping us humble for a number of reasons, one of which you can see above. This is what we came back to after three weeks of being away. I'm not sure why the photo ended up like I did but I'm guessing it was humidity build up on the lens after just stepping out of a nice air conditioned vehicle.

Humble lesson one has just been the weather which we can't control. It was a very unusually long cold spring and so what we did get planted early was stunted at best and in some cases never came up. We lost a couple rows of beans and my dad lost his first popcorn planting. All the squash, tomatoes, peppers, etc were very stunted and only now in recent weeks seem to be gaining ground. 

Humble lesson number two was our mulching choice. We got some oat straw that unbeknownst to us was chock full of oat seed. So full that every time it rains, another round of oats commences to growing over every square inch of our garden. Fortunately these oats never really root into the dirt, instead rooting into the wet straw, so it is fairly easy to pull and not have to worry about coming back. Compared to normal weeds rooted in our wet garden soils that no matter how hard you shake the root ball, the wet dirt remains stuck to the roots and unless tossed completely outside the garden boundary, just re-roots itself back into the soil the next rain.

So upon seeing the above mess, we decided that we were going to cut losses a bit and worry about just preventing the weeds from seeding for next year instead of trying to pull them all up and shake the dirt off the roots. So I hopped onto the lawn mower and proceeded to mow the areas not yet filled in by squash and pumpkins until I buried the lawnmower twenty feet later. A half hour later, with about every chain on the farm and a tractor, I had the lawnmower freed and instead resorted to a weed eater. After that, we just pulled what we could up close to the plants until we were tuckered out and called it a day. You can see what we accomplished below.

Since we have a week with no rain in the forecast, for probably the first time this year, I plan to let things dry out a bit and hopefully go back and mow the rest of the garden area that I didn't get to this past weekend. 




 

Comments

  1. Gardening is actually one long exercise in humility and the ultimate recognition that we can only work with Creation, not force it. It always wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly been faith challenging this year.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Toirdhealbheach! It is definitely an exercise in humility and in perseverance. You did excellent creative problem solving which also helps! It looks way better too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping most of the seed oats will go ahead and die with no roots in soil and now little energy production in their leaves and perhaps in another week or two, we can see the mulch more clearly.

      Delete
  3. I had the same thing happen a few years ago! We bought a big round bale of oat straw which turned out to be ruined oat hay that they'd just rolled up because it wasn't of any use as hay after it got rained on. I mulched the whole garden with it and then pulled oat grass all that summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a first for me and something I will remember. The one big problem is we still have four more bales of the stuff left over.

      Delete
  4. Ouch! That's painful and so much work. I have given up on gardening in even the small plot of dirt we have here. It's all mom's domain, thank goodness. I'm in awe of the huge farmland garden you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would give it up if I didn't enjoy eating the vegetables of my labor so much.

      Delete
  5. Well it looks like you made some progress. Sorry about the lawnmower incident but glad it was not more serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more of wishful thinking than anything else. Had it worked out, I could have done in 5 minutes what it took me 45 minutes to accomplish.

      Delete
  6. I weeded by hand. I got everything done but the corn which was low priority since it doesn't look like it's going to do much anyway.

    Sorry about the lawnmower. We'll be having the same adventure with a dump truck and a massey ferguson tractor. Oh, the thrill of country living.

    But look at it this way, Ed. You will always have asparagus. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would much rather pull a stuck lawnmower from the mud than a tractor from a sinkhole!

      Delete
  7. Sometimes, I think it's nature's job to keep us humble. That's a big reason why I've been taking the permaculture course. The idea of things going better by simply cooperating with nature has an appeal, but I confess I've got it on wait-and-see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me with a garden a 2 hour roundtrip drive away, my goals are to decrease the amount of labor needed to get a crop which doesn't always coincide with what is best for someone with a garden in their back yard. If it was closer, I would definitely play with more of the things I have read on your blog over the years.

      Delete
  8. Oh my you will get ahead of it but it takes time...have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gardening is always hard work, especially on a plot as big as yours (and as far away)! I'm not really cut out for it. Even with the few plants I put out, I'm terrible about weeding. (meaning I don't, so they take over) The one thing we've had in abundance this year is pears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We sure could use some of that rain out here. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun, Ed, but I am glad you are in a much more manageable place with your garden. We are trying to grow tomatoes and blueberries this year. It might have been the wrong year to start a garden as it has been too hot and too dry. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to not complain about the rain because I certainly remember many years when I would have shaved off all my hair or more for just a single rainstorm.

      Delete
  11. What a task! You have certainly made progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least visual progress. I'm not sure about physical progress.

      Delete
  12. I always love gardening, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can barely manage my little garden and here you are, tackling a huge field! One step forward, 2 steps back. One of these days it will reverse and you will have it all planted up and flourishing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment