Bluebirds

 

As you can see above, the bluebirds hatched, well three of them did. For some reason the fourth never did hatch nor have I seen the eggs for some time. I wonder if it is there in the bottom of the nest covered up with debris of if it got broken up and carried off somewhere. Only time will tell for sure.

What might not be so obvious is that for the last two weeks, and technically still, we've had guests staying with us and due to logistics, they have been staying in my office with the foldout Murphy bed. This has meant I have had little access to my desktop computer where I do 99% of my blogging and have had to rely on my iPad to do my commenting. So please excuse me if my comments have been shorter than normal. Those guests left and a missionary for our church moved in the very same day and will be with us for the coming week. Fortunately he has a busy schedule so will only be in our house to sleep a few hours over night before starting his busy schedule the next day. So this should allow me to sneak in while he is out and about and get something typed up before he returns in late evening.


It is hard to photo graph the bluebirds but I have been trying about every other day. There is only a small slot between the top of the nest and the bottom of the bird box roof into which I can slip my camera and blindly try to focus it on the baby bluebirds a mere inch beyond the lens. Some days I end up with some decent pictures and other days I don't end up with anything useable at all.


I always love seeing them going rapidly through the stages of life. In the beginning, they don't have their eyes open and so they will often raise their heads and open their beaks as wide as possible when I make a noise, in hopes a worm will end up in their stomachs. All to soon, they transition into their teenage years when they can open their eyes and then just sit and glare at me and my phone camera.


The teenage years have arrived as seen above. They try to stay motionless and just glare at me.


Feathers are starting to come in already and if my calculations are correct, the soonest they might fledge will be on Thursday of this week through maybe early next week. I may only get another picture or two of them beyond this and then I will have to wait and see if I can capture them leaving from the dining room table where I can use my DSL camera and longer lens to perhaps capture them as they leave for the first time. 

That is the plan anyway.

Comments

  1. Those are amazing photos. Hope they get more feathers instead of spikes before trying to fly. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at how quickly they develop. Imagine how wild it would be if it only took us two weeks from birth to puberty!

      Delete
  2. I resist comments about nose and hose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someday I would like to get some sort of video security camera mounted to the top of a box so I can check in remotely without disturbing the birds.

      Delete
  3. You've done well under challenging circumstances. It's hard to focus that closely, even when you CAN see what you're doing! I'll be glad for everyone's sake when they have feathers. It's an unattractive stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the fellow who owns the birdhouse, there are three or four other nests in the area that didn't survive an earlier two day heat wave we had. The heat killed all the chicks in the nest. Fortunately, due to the late start of our birds due to the sparrow battle, ours missed the heat wave.

      Delete
  4. Try this site https://www.sialis.org/ for a lot of information about bluebirds and others including monitoring and photographing. They are wonderful birds and very tolerant of humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. My neighbor has filled me in over the years on lots of bluebird facts such as identifying the nesting material to egg color, hatching and fledging times. But I will check out the monitoring portion of the website. The parents never seem too concerned about me. Usually I go when they are out foraging but occasionally I have surprised one and they will fly off as I approach and sit in a nearby tree to keep watch and it issue a peeping reprimand. But as soon as I'm back inside, they are back with their eggs/chicks again, no harm, no foul.

      Delete
  5. I'm always amazed at the speed of growth on some animals like this. We see tiny baby geese in the spring and it seems that only a month or two later they look like full grown geese. Very cool photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We once had two turkeys raise a brood behind our house. That was pretty neat though I couldn’t dictate the number of sittings like I can the blue birds.

      Delete
  6. So exciting to follow the birds! They do change very rapidly. You got excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could always be better but they conveyed my story.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful journey with the bluebirds. My favorite bird is the the mejiro or big eye. Chartreuse green and tiny with beeping sounds. They love to eat mango and sometimes I get to shower them with the water hose when they hop around tree branches in the hot sun. It seems like they are beeping to me to shower them with water and I do so until they are soaking wet and then they dry themselves off after shaking off the water. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps someday I can branch out with other bird types.

      Delete
  8. Great photos documenting their childhood! I had birds make a nest in an electrical box that I was waiting for my wife to pick out the type of light she wanted... So once the light arrived, installing it was put on hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we do for nature sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Ed, you get the best shots of baby blue birds every year! Such a treat to see life continuing as it always has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty easy to photograph since they are tolerant of humans and more importantly a captive audience.

      Delete
  10. Love these photos, Ed. We have a bird that decided to make a nest in the water bottle holder on my son's bicycle. Needless to say, no bike riding for awhile. Haven't seen the bird yet, but there appears to be at least three white, speckled eggs. So maybe a robin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am far from a bird expert unfortunately. You need a neighbor like mine it does it for a hobby and knows everything.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. They are getting close. Could be as soon as tomorrow.

      Delete
  12. It is amazing to see how quickly they go from naked, helpless things to taking flight. Kind of like our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children haven’t quite fledged but they are getting close.

      Delete
  13. I do enjoy watching baby birds in their nests. Thanks for the pictures Ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a video camera, you might not see me for weeks at a time.

      Delete

Post a Comment