Transitioning From Planting/Mulching to Harvesting

 

Finally, after one early morning session with our garden, I feel as if we are finally caught up with it and can sit back and relax a bit. As you can see above, we have mulched more of it to keep the weeds at bay and to preserve the moisture which has been lacking for the last two weeks and is not predicted in the upcoming two weeks of forecasts. The straw is thin in spots where we replanted some okra that failed to come up earlier this spring and some newly transferred eggplants from the greenhouse. The unmulched square in the back right corner is where our late sweetcorn patch was planted. Once they sprout up to where I can see the rows, I'll mulch them too along with around the eggplant and okra and then we will be done except for the reaping which is the part I really enjoy.

Speaking of reaping, I bought two different types of potatoes to plant this year. Some golden ones which don't store well for new potatoes and some red ones that store a lot better that will hopefully last well into winter in our basement. We were pondering how long we should wait for the new potatoes and eventually decided to just pull up a potato plant and see. As you can see, they are already a bit beyond new potato size and so we will start harvesting them as we need them from here on out. I love to roast them in the oven with other root vegetables to go along with our meals. Occasionally, we will cut some up into fries for the girls using the mandolin or dice them and use them in Filipino dishes like torta which is a dish of sauteed beef, diced potatoes and carrots along with some other spices that is served over a bed of steamed white rice and is like a comfort food. 



Comments

  1. It looks like we're headed into a hot, dry period, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It feels quicker this year due to proximity.

      Delete
  3. A good report, Ed, and I know you and your family will be eating well this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John does that same vegetable roasting in the oven--SO yummy! The combination goes with any meat. (in my opinion) Your garden looks very neat and hopefully will do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still shutter at the thought of all the years eating boiled vegetables.

      Delete
  5. Torta sounds pretty yummy! The garden is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so much fun! You are so lucky to have a veggie garden ready for your picking. I loved lumpia growing up and chicken adobo. I haven't had it in such a long time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to pick from the garden and be eating things an hour later.

      Delete
  7. I love your garden. Easy to access and producing enough of whatever you want! I just harvested one (yes, only one) eggplant. Japanese green long variety. I like to skin it, slice it diagonally, soak in salted water and drain so it doesn't absorb all the oil, and then season and fry. When it is fresh, it does taste like egg to me. Maybe that is why it is called eggplant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we have lots of eggplant to eat later on.

      Delete
  8. Those potatoes look wonderful. I've never grown my own food, so fun to follow along and see how it's done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might now be as practical where you live due to the environment.

      Delete
  9. Nothing better than new potatoes...well maybe potatoes and peas in white sauce:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to rabbits, we blew through our pea crop in a couple meals.

      Delete
  10. The potatoes look great. Reminds me I need to go check on mine. Good job on getting the garden mulched. Good idea to plant different varieties to meet different needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it works out. We just may end up with more potatoes than we can eat or preserve.

      Delete
  11. Looks great Ed!

    Do have problems with the wind blowing the mulch about? This could happen at New Home from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With straw we don’t. It interlocks pretty well and stays put if the crops being mulched are tall enough. But if it was strictly a cover, it would probably blow away.

      Delete
  12. Potatoes are the ultimate comfort food in my book, no matter how you serve them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely right now that you made me think about it!

      Delete
  13. That is one impressive looking garden. I can't believe it's harvest time already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a steady trickle all summer and fall, just as I like so preserving excess doesn't become too much of a burden.

      Delete

Post a Comment