The Bluebirds Won... With a Little Help From Their Friends

 

Finally, we at long last have bluebirds nesting in our birdhouse after nearly two years of struggles. Older readers will recall that we had a bad year a few years back and the raccoons decimated two batches of bluebirds within days of fledging, leaving behind only sad piles of blue feathers on the ground. Even though the birdhouse is not mine but belongs to a neighbor who does this as a hobby, I sought out revenge and installed a raccoon baffle underneath the birdhouse to prevent such a thing from happening. Since that time, the only birds showing interest are sparrows and we actively discourage them by removing their nests as soon as they build them.

This spring, I have probably removed more than 20 sparrow nests built in that box. You can tell them apart from bluebird nests because sparrow nests have more sticks and twigs in them while a bluebird nest is comprised mostly of grass. Still, the sparrow persisted. Then I shot that video I shared awhile back of the bluebirds putting the smackdown on the sparrows, chasing them from the air until they cowered from fright in the bushes. But then the bluebirds would fly away and the sparrows would go back to building their nest. Eventually they got an egg laid but my neighbor, who owns the bluebird house, came by and took the egg away. Perhaps the sparrows got the message because I hadn't seen them around for a few days.

Then a bluebird started spending his entire days beating his body against our dining room window as he evidently sought to prevent invaders from coming too close. I went out there and looked in the birdhouse and saw what I thought was a bluebird nest build on top of the old sparrow nest. I let them be and now several days later, looked in again and saw three bluebird eggs! For the first time in a couple years, we will hopefully have some young bluebirds to follow through their early days until the fledge and hopefully, this time the raccoon baffle will prevent their journey from ending in a bloody mess of feathers.

Because of our new garden, I also had to move the birdhouse last fall a bit closer to our house and directly out of our dining room window. So once the male bluebird is done spending days beating himself against his own reflection, I hope to go out and give the window a good cleaning so perhaps I can get some good pictures of the bluebirds fledging from the comfort of the dining room table.

Comments

  1. I can't help feeling sorry for the sparrows though I can appreciate your bluebird delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, there is an undisturbed (for now) sparrow nest under our back deck. Once the hatchlings have fledged, I plan to remove it before the next occupancy comes along.

      Delete
  2. You are as tenacious with the birds as you are with your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don't disagree with that statement.

      Delete
  3. Nature is so cruel sometimes. It seems like everything is competing with each other in one form or another. But that's one of the things that makes it so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the longest bird fight I had ever witnessed. Most are over in an instant.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful! You always give us something to anticipate, Ed, whether it's the results of your latest building project, the bounty from your garden or the bluebirds! Congratulations on fighting off the racoons. The squirrels are my nemesis, and the war never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knock on wood, I don't have too much problems with squirrels. Saying that, they have robbed me of the few apples I have grown in the last couple years. Perhaps I need to pick a fight with them!

      Delete
  5. I find bluebirds cheery creatures. We had some at The Ranch; I know my mother enjoyed them immensely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my feelings toward them are ambivalent other than their color which I enjoy compared to the dingy brown sparrows.

      Delete
  6. Awww. I think the bluebird hitting the window needs a bit of therapy too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me want to sit him down and talk about his aggression.

      Delete
  7. I love that Robin's egg blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly look quite pretty in the nest.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you finally have bluebird eggs and I hope that baffle works. I remember the bloodshed from before! I feel bad for those poor sparrows, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have read, sparrows aren't nearly as selective in choosing nesting spots which I suppose is why there are so many of them all the time.

      Delete
  9. House sparrows are a huge nuisance when it comes to other nesting birds. We don't have racoons here yet but we do have house sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine living someplace without raccoons. They are such a nuisance!

      Delete
  10. Our bluebirds are also often pushed out of their nests by other birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been worried about that as I keep seeing those sparrows flying around the area. But thus far, the eggs are still there and I see the bluebirds occasionally on the nest.

      Delete
  11. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your bluebirds. I saw a bluebird for the first time at Yellowstone about 10 years ago and was surprised at how really blue they were. I'm really excited for you and will look forward to the photos of their progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very brilliant blue, especially when in flight.

      Delete
  12. Oh I hope they hatch, thrive and fledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay, Ed!! I can't wait to see the baby bluebirds. Do we get to name them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to see those bluebird eggs! I guess life is a battle for all of us, even birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With shorter lifespans and more gruesome deaths.

      Delete
  15. Great news about the bluebird eggs. It's amazing how persistent birds can be. Dan and I used to try and impose a sense of peace in our poultry yard when they would squabble. Now, we just have to say, "that's bird business," because they aren't the least bit interested in our opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment