Oak Park

 


Sometime in the spring of 2023, I heard about a new farm to table restaurant opening up in the fall of 2023 in our state capital. According to the writing about it, they were going to grow their own vegetables to cook with behind the restaurant. It really didn't get much more farm to table than that and I knew that it would be my wife's jam so I cut out the above emblem from a webpage and gave that to her as a birthday gift in September when the restaurant still wasn't yet open. In late October of 2023 it opened up for online reservations and I immediately logged on only to see it was booked for every single night from their open date through the end of February. Not wanting to count on traveling in the dead of winter, we just put off making a reservation for the time being.

Sometime after Christmas, I got to thinking about the fast approaching 2024 and how in May it would be a milestone anniversary for us. I logged onto the website to see if I could book a reservation for the date of our anniversary. It was fully booked through mid June. So I picked a date that was exactly on month past our milestone anniversary and made a reservation.

Six months later, it was the date of our reservation.

Even when I had booked this reservation back in December of the year before, the only time slots available were the really early or the really late ones. All the prime eating time ones were still booked a lot further out. So when we arrived, as you can see from the above photo I took, we largely had the place to ourselves. By the time we paid our bill two hours later, all the tables were full. Another oddity was that there wasn't a single sign advertising it out by the road. The above plaque can only be seen as you are walking from the parking lot to the side doors and it actually is facing away from the road. I guess it is one of those place that "if you know, you know."

I won't bore you with photos of all our dishes that we had. We both ordered separate appetizers to share, we ordered one salad to split and then we both ordered entrees and desserts. By far, and yet all dishes were extremely tasty, the best one of all is the one above which was one of our appetizers that we shared. It is the "crudo" dish which is an Italian term for a dish consisting of raw fish and ingredients. The raw fish was Japanese Tusk fish and was spectacular. It even came with tree little scoops of caviar, two of which are missing from the photo because we had already taken a couple of bites before thinking about documenting it. So I turned the plate and cropped the picture but the ring of fish and caviar originally went all around the plate in a circle.

Although many of the ingredients were "locally" sources from areas around our state according to our server, I was starting to come to the conclusion that the growing the food in a garden out back was a myth. At some point, we just flat out asked about the garden and were told there was one out back and we could walk through it after our meal if we liked. And so we did. From what I could tell, it was mostly an herb garden and sparse at that for the volume of traffic they get every night they are open. Having just consumed Tusk fish from Japan, some Wagyu meatballs that were part of my appetizer and some scallops that certainly didn't come from Iowa, I guess I have to conclude it isn't exclusively a farm to table restaurant but there were aspects that were, kind of like most of our meals that we prepare at home daily. 

Despite this, we had an excellent meal and it was well worth the wait. However, we probably won't be returning anytime soon, perhaps for some future special occasion as it was quite pricey. We walked back to our family hauler, the oldest and least shiny car in the entire lot now packed with shiny expensive cars, and made our way back home. The following day our meal consisted of some peas from our garden. Much more locally sources and a lot less expensive.

Comments

  1. Ed, when we came on our home hunting trip to New Home 2.0, we had an expense account for eating during the move. We went to a restaurant similar to what you are describing in principle that was the most I have ever paid for a me. It was very good, but like you will likely not go again until some significant event occurs.

    I enjoy good meals, but I find paying high amounts of money for them detracts from my enjoyment. The meal is gone among the memory of many meals; the cash is gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest thrill for me is eating something I have never eaten before or prepared much differently and having it be so tasty.

      Delete
  2. I was suspicious from the start, but it was good, and you enjoyed your outing. It's one that you will remember because of its uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I might forget the food with time, I usually remember the experience as a whole.

      Delete
  3. Well, it sounds like a great outing anyway. I suppose even a farm-to-table restaurant has to source some ingredients from far away, particularly when it's in the middle of the country and serving seafood. (Plus I see samphire on that fish dish, I think, and they're surely not growing that in the garden!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing the samphire out. I had no idea what it was other than the menu said it was served with "chef inspired accoutrements."

      Delete
    2. So it was the difference between day and night. Very few of the other diners gave a thought about the idea farm to table.

      Delete
    3. By the way, Ed, you asked whether "The Running Grave" would be suitable reading for a teenager. I answered your comment on my blog, but in case you didn't see it: It's definitely an adult book, with adult themes like sexual abuse, violence and suicide. An older high-school- or college-age teenager could read it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger.

      Delete
    4. I had forgotten all about it until I read your post about finishing the book earlier and went back to seek out your answer. Thank you for responding and I'm glad I didn't obtain it already. I'm okay with my eldest reading it but I'll probably let her discover it on her own and not mention it to her.

      Delete
    5. Red - I missed your comment. As long as they are trying to support somewhat local businesses by buying their ingredients from them, I'm okay if they can't do it for everything.

      Delete
  4. Wow, sounds elegant. I remember eating in a farm to table restaurant in Iowa City a few years ago. It was delicious but not nearly as elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I just ate at the same one a few days back in Iowa City. Was called Webster by chance? If so, it wasn’t quite as fancy but the food was outstanding!

      Delete
  5. That is crazy that you could not get a reservation for so long. I took would be skeptical. Sounds like you had a great anniversary though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it is probably one of the fanciest places in the state, I’m guessing everyone is eating there once just to say they have. Me included!

      Delete
  6. It looks exotic! I enjoy an occasional fancy dinner but usually prefer regular food over the unusual. Give me some spaghetti or chili and ice cream for dessert. I'm low maintenance. :) P.S. When I was last in Iowa, we dined with some of my son-in-law's high school friends at a pretty fancy restaurant in Des Moines. I can't remember the name of it, but it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m the same way. A good burger will satisfy me most times. There are several fairly fancy places in Des Moines. With your French background, I’m guessing you ate at Django.

      Delete
    2. One of the group remembered! It was RoCA where we dined. (not cheap, but tasty) https://www.rocadsm.com/ There were two close high school friends with their wives who met us there; one of them is an anesthesiologist. He "stole" the check and we let him. :)

      Delete
    3. We may have to try it out. I don’t recall having gone there before.

      Delete
  7. How sweet of you to take the trouble to book a nice evening of fine dining with your wife. The non-signage reminds me of a place our son took us to in New Hampshire (or was it Vermont?). It was in a residential neighborhood in and you had to know to find it. Called Stone's Kitchen. Very small, quaint, and it was the first and only time I had strawberry rhubarb pie. Fantastic. And our son paid for our dinner. Super special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like my type of place. Years ago we ate at a restaurant in a house in a neighborhood full of houses. It was definitely unique.

      Delete
    2. The memory of it always makes me happy. It was Stone Soup Restaurant in Strafford, Vermont.

      Delete
  8. Fancy! I can't imagine something being booked that far in advance! I went to the big city this past weekend and got to eat at my favorite "locally sourced" restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Iowans largely have boring food options so when something new opens, they are always packed for awhile. Combined with limited evening only hours and you get really long reservation times.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like it was definitely worth the splurge. Every once in a while, it is time to do that, and it seems you both enjoyed it. I think I would too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The very first thing that popped into my head is "Where do they grow the fish?" Sounds like a good dinner though.

    Happy month after your milestone anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't even pretend the fish was local. It was certainly tasty though.

      Delete
  11. Farm to table...I thought that used to mean all local ingredients! I am not fond of fancy places...simple food is fine:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most farm to table restaurants we have been to advertise they buy food directly from farmers, many fairly local, but not always. This one advertised themselves as growing the food behind the restaurant.

      Delete
  12. So, the takeaway is that "farm to table" is somewhat of an advertising gimmick. Good to know! Still, I think it was a great birthday present and it sounds like you had a great time. That's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are many benefits to buying food directly from the producers so I wouldn’t call it a gimmick. But it is easy to over exaggerate the local benefits.

      Delete

Post a Comment