Milestone Harvest


I have a thing with sour cherries. Growing up, we always had a sour cherry tree around that we picked gallons of cherries from every spring to keep us in sour cherry pies year round. When I had my first home of my own, the first tree I planted was a sour cherry tree. When I sold that house years later, I hadn't yet harvested enough to make a pie in a single year. So when I moved to this house, I planted another sour cherry tree. It is still there after all these years but only produces a large handful of sour cherries every year. I'm not sure why it hasn't done better. Maybe four or five years ago, I bought another sour cherry tree and stuck it in my backyard. It has outgrown the one in front and is twice the size despite being half as old. This year, for the first time ever in 20+ years, I have enough sour cherries to make a pie, and I still have a lot more cherries on the one in the backyard that weren't ripe enough to pick yet. It might be possible to get two sour cherry pies this year. I'm excited, especially after last year when a late frost killed all the sour cherry blossoms and I didn't even get a single cherry to taste.

While in the picking mode, I also picked what peas the rabbits didn't get. We planted seven or eight rows of peas and if you add up all the plants that remained after the rabbit feast, they wouldn't even fill up one row. Above is a mix of shell and sugar snap peas. Not enough to preserve but enough for a couple meals perhaps so they will have to do.

Readers may recall that last fall, I seeded the entire garden down with Daikon radish to let the tubers poke the clay layer full of holes to absorb moisture better and to work organic matter into the soil. The deer found and ate everything and other than a couple pencil sized tubers, I didn't harvest anything. This spring I tilled everything up and planted our garden. We had quite a few volunteer radish plants come up but they were mostly weeded out in favor of the vegetables we planted. We saved a strip where we eventually planted tomatoes but when I tilled them into the ground, they were very small tubers. I thought that was the end of the Daikon radish experiment.

But recently while planting some late sweetcorn where the peas had been, we noticed a couple volunteer Daikon radish plants growing up in the potato patch. As you can see by the clear ruler, they got quite big. We stuck them in a pan of water for now. I haven't tasted one yet but I'm guessing it is quite woody based on the smaller ones I tried. My wife or MIL say they are going to try making sinigang, a traditional Filipino dish with it. I'll let you know how it tasted.

Comments

  1. You figt the good fight and don't give up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intensely jealous of your cherry harvest. Fruit is the one thing that I have never really been able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is something that requires a person to be somewhat stationary in life.

      Delete
  3. We have several cherry trees and last year was a bumper crop which meant we enjoyed a handful of cherry with most eaten by birds, squirrels, and bears! They seem to enjoy them when they're still too green for me to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I got luck and picked the bulk of them. When I wrote this there was still another pie's worth that weren't quite ripe. The birds have since gotten them.

      Delete
  4. Well, I'm glad you got some cherries! And I hope the radishes are edible! (The deer seem to think so.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing, the deer eat the tops and I just want the tubers. If they wouldn’t eat the top until we ate the tuber, we could get along.

      Delete
  5. Nice looking cherries! Hope your pie is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cherries look delicious! I can't recall coming across anyone with a cherry tree in their yard and I'm pretty sure they don't thrive this far south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don’t know the range but I’ve left a trail of them throughout my life.

      Delete
  7. Mr. McGregor, how well your garden grows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far is has probably been more failure than success but hopefully this turns the tide.

      Delete
  8. Seem like you are off to a good start with this year's harvest! Hope this is just the beginning of much to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I assume sour cherries are nanking? I get far too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a google search and still didn't come up with a definition of "nanking" that makes sense?

      Delete
  10. Way to go, Ed. I don't do cherries too often and definitely not sour cherries but I think my kiddos might be down so I will have to see if I can find some. Continued good luck with the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour cherries are more for baking than eating plain though I am guilty of eating them right off the tree. When I was in your neck of the woods a couple years back, it seemed like sweet cherries ruled the region though most were ate raw like one would grapes.

      Delete
  11. I don't like cherries but I don't mind the sour ones. Sometimes we call them pie cherries here. They seem like a lot of work for a small amount of fruit though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is by the time you include the picking, pitting and baking but the results are ten times better than any store bought pie so I find it worth it. I don't say that with every thing I harvest and later eat.

      Delete
  12. Never tasted sour cherrys or had a sour cherry pie, but I think I would like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We add sugar to the pie so it ends up slightly tart and pleasing to the tongue when consumed. It is a much different taste than the syrupy sweet one gets from eating a pie made from sweet cherries.

      Delete
  13. Your rabbits are eating well! I’ve got yellow squash galore. A couple of cucumbers have started. Not much else so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one yellow squash plant that has lots of blooms but no fruit yet. It was started pretty late in the greenhouse so we are a bit behind in that aspect.

      Delete
  14. That's a good size daikon alright! We planted a sour cherry tree in our backyard in Illinois and it was covered in berries when we saw it in May. Unfortunately, my daughter is not wanting to bake a pie with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment