Brushed?

 

I opened up an Amazon package and found the above inside. I had no idea what they were and certainly hadn't ordered them so immediately, I assumed I had been a victim of "brushing".

I only had a vague understanding that brushing was some sort of scam for unsavory companies to increase ratings but didn't know all the details. I set the package aside, intending to toss it in the trash later and went on my business. Later that day, I got to thinking about what harm brushing does to me and couldn't come up with anything. Curious as to how it scams me, I did a little internet research.

Brushing is a scam where an unsavory company sends cheap trinkets through the mail to addresses. Since everyone's addresses are online, this doesn't really harm the receiver yet. However, the unsavory company will pay people to create accounts in the name of the receivers of these cheap trinkets and write stellar reviews for the company to artificially drive up their ratings. Again, while not ethical, it still doesn't really harm me directly. The article went on to say that sometimes, companies catch these "multiple" accounts in one person's name and intentional ratings inflation and delete both accounts. This is the real harm to the receiver of these goods and they recommend that you report the brushing attempt and the tracking number off the package when you feel you have been a victim.

Just as I was about to make the call, a text conversation my brother had sent me a couple weeks ago came to mind. He had been down on the farm and in the process of starting a recalcitrant ATV, had dropped a negative battery clamp nut in the tall weeds and lost it. Since he was headed home half a country away, he asked if the next time I was there I could replace the nut and tighten the cable to the terminal for the next person who might drive the ATV. My brother had evidently ordered the nut and sent it to my address.

So I wasn't a victim of a brushing attempt. My excitement for the day was over. 

Comments

  1. I'd never heard of the term, but I did receive a very un-Debby like hat once, so I guess that explains it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. Yet another reason for me to do what I can to curtail my online orders...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I live, unfortunately online orders are a necessity. To buy such an item, would require a 200 mile round trip to the capital city to the nearest dealership that might have one in stock. My only other option would be a phonecall where I might be able to identify the part verbally to someone who then has to order it online themselves and then require a 60 mile round trip to pick it up.

      Delete
  3. Your excitement for the day is over , but you had a good story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I was able to fill in a blank day of blogger where I had nothing better to post!

      Delete
  4. I got a container of weird vitamins that I hadn't ordered and had never heard of. (not vitamins but some kind of supplement) I threw them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you were brushed. Unfortunately most websites probably don't let you search for duplicate accounts to know for sure.

      Delete
  5. Well, that's a new on on me, but from what you describe, I think that I would have expected it more from ordinary post and not Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the statistics of which website it happens most on. But at least to me, it makes sense that it would happen on a popular site like Amazon with millions of accounts. The more accounts, probably the less deceit is discovered.

      Delete
  6. Brushing is a new-to-me scam. I can't think of a time in recent years that I've gotten something I didn't order, but at least now if I do I'll know what to do about it! I think my first inclination would be to contact the company about it, but that's sometimes easier said than done with Amazon or Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think standard advice is to contact the company with the tracking number after ensuring you didn't receive it from friends or relatives.

      Delete
  7. I think I wouldn't mind getting brushed but if I did, I would want more than a package of screws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the real danger is getting your own legitimate account closed by the company you received the item from because they don't know it from the fake account made to create inflated reviews.

      Delete
  8. Well I have learned something. For my work, I am familiar with phishing and other forms of social engineering but have not heard of this one. My daughter and son-in-law once received a big Amazon delivery and upon opening it, found a car bumper! I wonder if they were victims of brushing?! As I recall, they reported it to Amazon and a delivery guy came and got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only heard/read of cheap items being sent in a brushing scam. A car bumper doesn't sound cheap. Perhaps it was just a garden variety mix up.

      Delete
  9. Good thing you figured it out!

    Brushing is a new one on me. Now with AI, I doubt they even need to use real people any more. Mostly, I'd be afraid they'd try to charge me for things I didn't order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone that has been brushed yet but the term keeps coming up in popular scam discussions. Hopefully I can avoid being brushed or otherwise scammed for the rest of my natural life.

      Delete
  10. OMG! I've never heard of brushing. One more thing to worry about? Amazon sent me a package of stainless steel clamps by mistake a long time ago and I wrote to tell them. They said to just keep it. Funny thing is I've been using those little package clamps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy package clamps like they are going out of style. I'll buy a package of ten and add them to the drawer in the kitchen and the next time I need one, they are all used up. I have yet to find the sweet spot where there is always some available.

      Delete
  11. Brushing...I have not heard of it. Glad this was only your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been "brushed" either, but I have read about that scam. My take on it was that it basically benefits the company and doesn't hurt the consumer, but I hadn't thought about the risk of having my account deleted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment