A Week After Memorial Day

As I have done most years, I volunteer to distribute flags onto the gravesites of veterans and then pick them up again after Memorial day has passed. On Memorial day, our church holds a mass among the graves in special tribute to those who gave all to preserve our country. On this particular day, I set up my lawn chair beside a gravestone that said the occupant was Johnny, killed in the Vietnam war. 

I have seen that particular stone many times before, and many times have thought I ought to look up Johnny and see who he was, but always my short memory and a busy life have gotten in the way and I have forgotten... until the next year. This year, I took a picture with my phone after mass, so that I would remember the next time I looked through it for a picture to post.

Later that day, I did just that, and immediately typed Johnny's name into a search engine and was surprised to find a two part post that somebody else had done specifically on Johnny and another person. It summed up his sacrifice quite well. 

Johnny became a member of the Green Berets and was part of an operation called Samurai IV which was created to prevent supplies from coming down the Ho Chi Minh trail to the NVA in Hue. A ferocious fire fight had broken out and several helicopters had been shot down in a clearing beside a steep hillside and Johnny and his buddy raced across 100 feet of open ground to reach the wounded and help them back to the cover of the trees. 

But the NVA had a machine gun set up on the far side of the clearing and was waiting to pick off anyone who made the dash back towards the trees from the downed helicopter. So another Green Beret started providing covering fire and Johnny and his buddy helped the groups across the clearing and to the steep hillside. The groups made it up and all that remained were Johnny and his buddy who kept sliding back down the hill. They shouted up to the machine gunner to give them a hand but the gunner knew full well that as soon as he stopped to provide a hand, the NVA gunner would resume shooting. But he had no other choice.

The Green Beret gunner stopped shooting and tried to pull up Johnny's buddy while Johnny pushed up from below and bullets started flying all around them. One hit the gunner's arm causing him to lose his grip and letting Johnny's friend slide back down the hill. The gunner knew his life was in danger now from bleeding out and that he was no longer able to help Johnny and his buddy so he made the terrible decision to leave them behind as he sought help and sent others back to help them out.

Later, by chance, the gunner overheard a medical doctor talking about Johnny and his buddy. They had played dead for 15 minutes until they were eventually rescued. Johnny's buddy had taken bullets to both legs but was going to live. Johnny had taken three bullets to his back, shielding his buddy after he had been dropped by the gunner. He lived through the night but died the next morning.

Johnny was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroism that day. I know that in the following years, as I attend Memorial Day mass at the cemetery, I will forever remember his story.

Comments

  1. I may remember the story too. It's too bad that it had to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a couple books on that battle in particular and one that covered other similar battles. But to be sitting next to someone who fought and died in that battle was pretty personal.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing the information here. There was a lot of man behind his easy name of Johnny. War is not good. I was a nurse at the VA for several years. Too many stories from so many men. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing these stories makes me understand why some are reluctant to talk about them.

      Delete
  3. My husband and my BIL are Vietnam vets. Neither of them talk about it much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank them for their service from a semi anonymous person in Iowa if you would!

      Delete
  4. I think those in power who push us into war should be on the battlefront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have aged, I haven't become a pacifist, but I have definitely felt war should be avoided at all cost. Human life is just too precious to give lightly.

      Delete
  5. So sad, but at least now you know his story, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had looked for the story 10 years ago instead of waiting for last week.

      Delete
  6. I think that later events coloured a lot of people's attitudes to the Vietnam war, and the heroics of individuals like Johnny get overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part, I wasn't around or at least conscious of the war when it was on going but I have read and watched shows on the dynamics of it and it's controversies. Had I been my age now back then, I would have been against the war but I would have only shown respect to those who fought despite my feelings.

      Delete
  7. What bravery! I can't imagine being put in that kind of situation. I wish Johnny had survived. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my neighbors lost a son in a naval accident during the Vietnam war and I thought many times what they would have been like had their son survived. I traced his name off the D.C. Memorial as a young teenager on a band trip and gave it to them upon my return. The light and sadness in their eyes at seeing his name traced off the memorial really stuck with me over the years.

      Delete
  8. Ed, there are a lot stories just like that which for all the world appear as simple gravestones in forgotten cemeteries. Bless you for remembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I decorate graves of vets with flags, I see many that are in disrepair. I hope my act can transcend whatever lies between me and them but I know that in the end, we will all eventually be forgotten.

      Delete
  9. Gosh Ed, what a wonderful tradition for your church to engage in. And good for you for being willing to learn Johnny's story. It's a good way to keep their sacrifice alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your respect for these graves reminds me of the on-going work of the UK/Commonwealth War Graves Commissions, caring for British and Commonwealth war graves across many countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would assume there is a similar organization on this side of the pond. I know that one can get a new war service medallion should one go missing. If it weren't for these, it would make the job of putting flags on the graves much harder.

      Delete
  11. Johnny did his duty and more. Thank heavens he is not entirely forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First, how cool that you do what you do with the flags. That's a real service you are performing. Second, what a cool story about this guy. I can't relate in any way to those who have been in combat, but I am certain there are thousands of stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a story. Thank you for your research and sharing it. The flags and the Mass are all nice things to do in honor of those who have given their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for telling this story, Ed. What a courageous fellow Johnny was. He was definitely a hero.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment