Wife On the Spot

 

A. I. Generated

As she read the first reading, she started listing over to her left side as if she was having trouble standing straight and even seemed to struggle with the words, having to force them out in short clipped two or three word long strands. I leaned over to my wife, a doctor, and whispered that something was wrong with her. When she finished the reading, it took her nearly a minute to lower herself backward off the single step to raise her up to the height of the microphone. But once down, she was able to walk back to the pew behind the ambo reserved for the lectors. 

During the second reading, she seemed to have recovered and I started thinking that perhaps I had rushed to judgment over the first reading. Although not speaking in a fluid manner, it had been some time, perhaps years, since she had done a reading and so I wasn't familiar with her cadence and just chalked it up as just being hers. 

The last duty as lector is to read the petitions or short prayers offered up by our church to the world around us. She made it up the single step but I'm not sure she finished the first petition before she listed to her left again, her left elbow propping the rest of her up on the ambo. She tried to speak but couldn't. Immediately my wife and I, along with a half dozen others jumped out of our pew and raced to her aid. As my we were perhaps the furthest away and with several able looking fellows already nearing her, I checked myself and then went back to the pew while my wife, a physician, continued to hurry over there.

She was helped to the pew behind the ambo and my wife stayed with her, assessing and lowering her back down to a laying position. The other fellows left but were replaced by another man who said he was trained in CPR should it be needed. Another parishioner finished reading the petitions and the mass continued on as there wasn't much the rest of us could do at that point.

The ambulance came and took her to the hospital and everyone returned to our seats and finished mass.

None of this is particular shocking or disturbing to me I guess. But what haunts me is the future. This particular lady adopted her two grandsons for reasons I have only heard rumors. The oldest one is a senior but has issues. The younger one seems better adjusted, at least as adjusted as one can be with no active parents and living with their grandmother. I immediately gave my phone number to the eldest child and told him to call me if he needs anything at all. I even offered to drive him to the hospital with his brother in their grandmother's car since due to his issues, he can't drive. But someone had beaten me to it.

Their grandma ended up getting admitted to the hospital and I'm not sure what will happen to the boys. I don't know if their mom is willing or able to take them in or whether they will go back to their grandma's house alone. It really is just a sad situation to witness. 

Comments

  1. That's frightening! I know several people who are rearing or helping to rear grandchildren. It's not easy for younger people and I can't imagine doing so at my age. Those poor boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know any particulars other than their grandmother is still in the hospital a week later and the boys are still going to school and church. So evidently somebody is looking after them.

      Delete
  2. What a sad and complicated situation. I hope for everyone's sake she makes a full recovery (maybe TIAs?). On another note, it can be hard to "get back to normal" after something like that happens in church (or anywhere). I remember when a friend had a seizure in the pew in front of me. There was nothing I could do that hadn't already been done, so I just tried to focus as the service continued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew she was in good hands during church and the ambulance was there amazingly quick.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that's scary. Thank goodness she (and the boys) have community support from you and the other members of the church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it but it could have been worse had she been at home alone while the boys were in school.

      Delete
  4. P.S. -- The AI art is interesting as always. It still can't do hands right. And why is there a brawl going on in the background?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the A.I. generated artwork, this one ranks toward the bottom as far as desired result. I tried to get it to show a woman up at the pulpit falling while members were rushing to her aide but A.I. always kept her in the pews and nobody was really rushing. Not to mention the brawl.

      Delete
    2. Maybe they were fighting about which book they favoured - Luke or John?

      Delete
  5. How very sad! I hope she gets well soon. It is a sad thing to see kids being shunted from pillar to post. Hopefully people from the church can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When those boys were young, they were a handful for sure. But after many years of a stable environment of living with their grandma, they have completely changed... in a good way.

      Delete
  6. Prayers up indeed, Ed - and how fortunate your wife was precisely where she needed to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the outcome could have been much worse!

      Delete
  7. We never know what will happen to us or others around us. I just had a meeting with my CPA and am thinking a lot about what she said. I had planned to start a family dynasty with a C corp but perhaps it will be too many that disagree and taking care of the accounting, etc. could become daunting. A simple passing down of assets, and let what happens happen in the future. I just hope I am still sane and able until then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been planning for the future as well but it is challenging when tax laws change by administration. I'm trying for the best but I'll never know if it ended up that way because I won't be around to see it transfer.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing this. Real life drama is usually far more affecting than made-up drama on the TV.. I hope the lady is able to get back to her grandmotherly duties very soon. Sounds like she has been a rock for those two lads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I don't see much drama in my life. I kind of like it that way.

      Delete
  9. I feel for her and the kids. It was good of you to offer to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I always hope that if I am ever in a situation like that, others would offer to help out.

      Delete
  10. I was an EMT for many years, a similar thing happened at our church and a Doctor was present...he looked at me and said "What should we do?" Sometimes out of a clinical setting without their arsenal of tools they are puzzled. I am glad your wife could help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! What a lucky thing that your wife was there to tend to the poor woman. It's very good of you to do all you can to help the boys. That is definitely a sad situation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment