Saving Money and Learning

A. I. Generated

In my younger years, I would always try just about anything that came across my path. I changed the oil in my own vehicle, I did just about any home repair task that you could name, etc. It was a good way to save money and to learn new things, both something I enjoy doing. But as I have gotten older, I have slowly stopped doing some tasks and hired others to do them. I now take my vehicles in to get their oil changed and though I still do most of my own home repair, I have hired out a few jobs that weren't very appealing to me, such as hiring an electrician to install a couple can lights in my living room so I didn't have to crawl around on my stomach in the attic in a very tight area. 

When I moved to this property of 3 acres, I didn't have a lawnmower capable of mowing it and so I hired the lawnmowing outfit that was then currently mowing it to continue under my ownership. They did a fine job but didn't always mow on the same schedule I would have. For example, if people were coming over to enjoy an evening sitting at a bonfire in the backyard or playing a game of croquet, I would have mowed the lawn the day before regardless of grass height. But when I have it hired out, we might be having our bonfire or game of croquet on grass in need of mowing. I have always enjoyed mowing lawn, reducing the rough tall grass into a nice evenly mowed green carpet. So when I got my greenhouse built with a storage shed on one end, I bought an appropriately sized mower and told my mowing service I didn't need them anymore. I controlled my own schedule.

The first year went great and I put that lawnmower to bed in the storage building come late fall. When spring came, I looked at the maintenance part of the manual and wasn't anywhere near prepared. I didn't have the right tools or materials to service my own lawnmower to get it ready for mowing. I told myself that it looked like fiddling work and ended up having the place where I bought it come and pick it up and service it back at their shop. Of course I had to pay for that privilege. I told myself at the time that the price wasn't too bad but I felt guilty about not doing the work myself. 

Flash forward to this spring and lawn mowing will be upon us soon again. I'm still not prepared. However, finally I am taking steps to get repaired. I watched a video on YouTube this morning detailing the service steps for my lawnmower. I still don't have the tools but at least it didn't look terribly difficult to do. I also learned that they sell a "home maintenance kit" that has all the supplies you need to service it, sans tools, which makes figuring out all the part numbers easy. So in a matter of minutes, from my comfortable office chair, I ordered a home maintenance kit and a couple hand tools like a spark plug socket and gap tool and a sized oil filter cap style removal tool to allow me to service my own lawnmower. By the end of the week, I should have everything I need. Even with the additional tools, it will cost about 1/3 of what I paid last spring to have someone else do the same thing. Hopefully all goes well and I'm not having to call the shop to come pick up my mower. 

Best of all, I will have the satisfaction of learning a new task and saving some money.

[Post update: I did get everything done and it went smoothly. However, when I went to pull it out of the storage shed to bring it up to the garage for maintenance, I noticed the digital fuel gauge wasn't working. Right now I suspect it is the fuel sender unit which when I priced out, is stupidly expensive to replace. I usually fill up the tank about once, every three mowings so I will have to try to remember to do that so I don't run out of gas as I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.]

Comments

  1. I long ago gave on DIY stuff. While I am educable, it doesn't come naturally to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to give up more stuff and would gladly pay for someone else to do them... but... it seems ridiculously hard to find someone willing to do small tasks these days.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. It saves a lot of frustration (in our opinion). DIY is a fact of life for us, because we are not patient people.

      Delete
    3. And I suspect I'm pickier than most too.

      Delete
  2. With costs going up and quality going down, this seems to be the wisest path to take. Plus it's really nice to acquire more basic skills for our ordinary activities. And as Dan says, "If mistakes are made, at least they're my own."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't complain when I make the mistakes or at least don't complete something up to my particular standards.

      Delete
  3. I agree about lawn mowing: the timing and the pleasure of it! I can't do much, but John always wants to do everything himself. At 70 and with a bad shoulder, I don't think he should, but that's a decision for him to make. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, mowing 99% of my lawn means sitting on a lawnmower and pushing/pulling levers. The 1% involved me walking around with a battery operated weed eater every three or so mowings to trim up close to places I can't get with my rider.

      Delete
  4. My husband took a small engine repair class decades ago, so he's always done his own maintenance on stuff like mowers and ATVs. Still... the older we all get, the less the inclination to do it ourselves if it requires contortion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I have always wanted to do but never have done, taking a small engine repair class. At this point though, it is nearly too late as my lawnmower and tiller are the last small engines I own. All the other ones have been replaced by batteries. Also, I honestly can't remember the last time I had issues with either of them. My small engine struggles always seem to be with 1 cylinder engines.

      Delete
  5. I am embarrassed to say we have never serviced our mower. I imagine ours -- a battery-operated push mower -- is much less complicated than yours, though! I'm all for calling the pros when it comes to home improvements and car repairs (when I had a car).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing there isn't much to service in yours other than sharpening the blade and perhaps greasing the main bearing, if it didn't come with a sealed one to start with. It needs no fuel, spark or air to run which are the main three things I had to service on my lawn mower.

      Delete
    2. The challenge of doing your own repairs is satisfying. If it saves you money so much the better.

      Delete
    3. Sometimes. I don't find sanding drywall very satisfying!

      Delete
  6. I love yardwork and so I do my own gardening, weeding, trimming, etc. I hate housework and so I really need a cleaning person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I don't love weeding like my wife does, I hate house cleaning and given a choice, would rather weed.

      Delete
  7. To everything there is a season . . . you did your own maintenance and repairs until you decided to hire others to do some of it. Not you are back to doing your own lawn work that included maintaining the mower. This season may also pass, but for now, I suspect you'll continue to enjoy the satisfaction of doing your own work on your own schedule. I live on an acre, and I did it myself for years, until I entered a season of hiring a lawn service. When I retire, I hope to take it over again, because I also like it to be done when I want it done. My service is good but when they get behind due to rain, I have to wait while they get caught up. In the meantime, the grass gets high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time, they took my lawnmower early in spring but a couple weeks later, I still hadn't gotten a call that it was done nor had it arrived back on my property. I called, and they apologized saying I should have gotten a call the day after they took it. Because it had been my first time using their service, I hadn't known the turn around time and had assumed it was slow during the busy time of spring. Meanwhile, my grass was quite tall by then.

      Delete
  8. My husband keeps my mower running, he says the big thing is putting stabil in the gas tank before putting it away and letting it run a bit before shutting it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that with my lawnmower and my tiller. With other engines with smaller tanks like my chainsaw and snow blower, I suck the gas out and run them dry to store.

      Delete
  9. I'm always so amazed at all you do. You are the Super DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankfully, there is a small. engine repair place about 2 miles from me. I still change oil in lawn mowers, but when we moved into the mountains I hired out mowing (but had a push lawn mower). It was $50 a time and I felt it was a great deal, but the kid finished with the community college and went off into an engineering program at VA Tech... So I brought a large riding mower last year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment