Athens: Day Seven

 

On our last full day, we decided just to chill and go for a leisurely walk around town. We hiked back towards the Acropolis and found a rocky outcropping to clamber up on top and take in the sights. Behind us, the Acropolis dominated the skyline and the hordes of people that were up on top. According to the sign near where we were, the Apostle Paul spent some time right where we were seated preaching to the locals back in the day. It would have been neat to be able to attend such an event when the Acropolis was in its full splendor. 

We ate the last of our picnic supplies for lunch and then the girls headed off to do some shopping while I stayed behind to check into flights and prepare for the journey home. (There had been more strikes the two days before in Germany but there seemed to be no strikes called for our actual travel day.) I was also charged with finding a place to eat when they returned from their shopping trip. I found a place two blocks away that served traditional Greek food and it turned out to be one of the better meals of the entire trip but somehow I managed to walk away without any photos. 

There were no parking lots in Athens that I ever saw. All parking was on the street and it was rare that I ever saw an open space to park. In fact, there seemed to be no rules to the parking other than you didn't block the main thoroughfare. Small motorcycles and scooters were plentiful and often parked on the sidewalks. Cars were parked anywhere there was space which is why they were often very small cars like the one above.

Another thing I experienced in Athens is that it has its fair share of scam artists. My first experience was eating a piece of bread offered by a person standing with a plate full of pieces, mistakenly thinking they were advertising their wares. Only after I ingested it did they request a donation and then followed me part way down the block repeatedly asking for money. I would have had I small bills or change but that was on the first day of our trip and I didn't have anything smaller than a 5 Euro note. 

Our second experience came as we were eating lunch and a guy came up with a handful of strings and asked my daughter to hold out a finger which she did. He then wove her a bracelet on the spot and despite our protests, kept going until we all had "authentic" Kenyan bracelets. Only then did he say we owed 20 Euro for those strings. We said no and asked him to cut them off but he would only offer excuses about that causing bad spirits and such. Finally we gave him 5 Euro, 4 Euro than we should have just to have him leave us alone which he did.

The last one happened to me as I was out walking by myself. An old Greek man made a comment about my hat and then in the course of the conversation, found out where I was from and mentioned he had a brother with a Greek restaurant in our capital city and said he would write down the address so I could check it out. He asked if I could follow him to a bar on the corner so he could write it down for me. My neck hairs sensed a scam at this point but he seemed harmless. I kept my eyes about me and and was prepared to take off should we get to a uncrowded portion of the sidewalk between there and the bar. Once at the bar, he proceeded to ask me if I had ever had the official drink of Greece and urged me to sit down while he ordered it. I declined saying I was in a hurry and if he would just write down the address I would be on my way. He repeatedly mentioned that he wanted to drink first so now knowing for sure it was a scam, I thanked him for his time, wished his brother luck and exited quickly. As I left, the bartender said in a thick Greek accent, "What are you afraid of? We don't bite."

These were just the scams I fell victim too or got roped into participating. We waved them off continuously during our trip. It certainly puts a damper on things as I love talking with locals and experiencing the local culture but have to be wary of scams all the time trying to extort money from me.

Our flights back to the U.S. went off without a hitch and we made it to Chicago problem free, found our car and proceeded to drive home. It is a five hour drive from the airport and despite stopping for some supper and some caffeine, the last hour was pretty brutal trying to fight the jetlag. But the thought of our own comfortable bed for the night drove us on and we made it home slightly after 10:30 Saturday evening. We made it to the 8:30 mass the following morning with heavy eyes and fought jetlag well into the following week. Wednesday was the first day I felt normal again along with the youngest daughter. My oldest daughter and wife are still fighting some of the symptoms as I write this, six days after our return.

It was a great trip, our first overseas vacation as a family where we weren't visiting other members of our family. I will treasure the memories for a long time. I've been to Athens and I don't think I need to return. There is so much world out there that is on my list to see, but if I do go again, I think I'll pick some place outside of Athens, a nice island or rural mountain village to stay. Some place with less people, more delicious food and less people trying to scam me. 

Comments

  1. Ed, we were fortunate that we did not encounter any scam artists, but that was probably a less than artful combination of being on a tour and the locations that we visited. Outside of Athens and possibly Thessaloniki, we were not anywhere that it was likely to happen.

    Were I to go back, I like you would likely not return to Athens beyond the the initial arrival. I would like to see the National Archeological Museum so maybe one day, but there is so much else we did not see. I would like to spend more time in Thessaloniki and the plains of Thessaly and the Western Coast and especially the Peloponnese - let alone the Islands, as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the scammers were within a stones throw of the Acropolis where most of the tourists were bunched up.

      Delete
  2. Your alternate next trip sounds appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a long time before it happens if it ever does. There is so much of this planet I have yet to see.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it was such a wonderful trip for all of you, Ed. Like you, I love to imagine what things might have happened in ancient times (or just earlier times in our country).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really made my mind whirl. I can only imagine what Jerusalem would do to my mind.

      Delete
  4. The Greek Islands are well worth a visit, for future reference! (Lots of tourists, though.) It sounds like you are pretty good at detecting scams. It's just a fact of life that these sorts of things happen when we travel. I'm glad you gave the Kenyan guy some money, even if not what he asked for -- he probably needed it if he's a migrant. (I'm assuming he was Kenyan, anyway?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was from Nigeria, or at least that is what he said. As many islands are in Greece, I’m sure I can find one not visited by tourists but it might take me some time getting transportation to it.

      Delete
  5. I really can't understand scammers - they don't seem to feel bad about taking advantage of people who they rope into their schemes.
    I just had one pulled on me at AT&T when I called to get a reduction on my business plan with 6 phone numbers (the kids'. I was "rewarded" for my loyalty with 2 "free" smart watches and a reduction in my monthly bill. Just as the very long call was ending, I looked at the details and saw two new phone numbers that I will be responsible for because of the 2 new watches. I tried to get out of it but the agent said he already processed it and I will have to wait until the watches arrive and then call back to get a return label. Sheesh. He did this with such charm and sincerity, but he was a scammer working for his commission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least with those in Greece, they were outside working at scamming to make money. Here in the States, we pay many to do nothing at all.

      Delete
  6. There are many scam artists everywhere there are tourists, it seems. For some, it's a way to support their families back home, for others, it's a way to bilk people whom they assume (probably rightly) have more money than they do. I'd like to visit Greece but I doubt that I'll make it there since it's not a top priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What struck me as different is their aggressiveness. The ones I'm familiar with in our country sort of scope you out first with a few questions before attempting the scam. At least the bracelet guy and the bread lady just dove right in and hoped for the best.

      Delete
  7. Wow! That drive home sounds brutal after a long flight. I'm afraid those scammers are everywhere. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad considering the alternative which would have been a 2 or 3 hour layover, a 90 minute flight and a 90 minutes drive home. I'm sure we got home sooner than had we flown.

      Delete
  8. Scammers seem to be ubiquitous. We encountered a lot of them in Jamaica. Anyway, your trip will be something your girls will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't expect scammers. I guess I was lulled into complacency by living in rural America where street scammers are non-existent. I sensed the scams before I got took, but didn't sense them before they were underway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gees. I could have sworn I commented. The scammer thing would have scared me. Esp. that bar scene. I'm glad your spidey senses were going for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your incidents. Who woulda thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Scam artists do seem to be frequent in strange places.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment