Tears of Joy

 

A.I. generated image and no, my daughter doesn't really have three arms.

When our eldest graduated from the small Catholic school she attended and was headed to the public Middle School halfway across town, we decided it was time for her to have her first phone. We bought her a small flip phone and it came in handy during her time there. When she headed to the high school, we upgraded her phone to a smart one using some promotional deal and saved her from all the embarrassment she claimed to be getting. Four years later, she is heading off to college soon and we decided she really needed a better phone and so upgraded it this past Christmas.  Between the old smart phone and the old flip phone, I hoped to get one to work for our youngest who is graduating from the same Catholic School and heading to Middle School, this time in a different building on the way far side of town.

I headed to the phone shop with my collection of phones and was soon informed that the battery life on the smart phone was so low, it really needed replaced to the tune of $100. (That might explain my eldest daughter's complaints of having to charge it several times just to get through a school day.) I asked about the flip phone but was told it is no longer supported and essentially a paper weight at this point. So I asked about the price of a new flip phone and was told it would cost $400. I really didn't want my youngest to have a smart phone from the get go, even though she uses her sister and mom's phones all the time. I thought using a flip phone would build character. I was about ready to pay for the flip phone when the lady running the store said that they were having a promotion right now that provided a free iPhone 13 for anyone signing up for a new line in their plan, which I was going to do. So all my plans went out the window and I got the free iPhone 13 and decided to surprise my youngest with it.

After she got home from school and some time had passed, I called her phone number to the phone hidden with the incoming mail, and then pretended surprise when I didn't recognize the ring tone. My youngest immediately found the phone and asked whose it was. I told her it was her phone.

I was expecting joy. I was expecting excitement. But I got a gush of tears and she raced off to her bedroom crying. I was a bit lost. Her sister, always the "horse whisperer" to her younger sister, went back to see what was the matter. Turns out, she felt like she didn't deserve such a nice phone that cost so much money. My heart was instantly overfilling. I had to explain that it didn't cost me money and was cheaper than the flip phone she had been expecting which is why she got such a nice phone. And yes, she deserved it. 

For now, we have place restrictions on it. She can only use it to communicate with us and not to access the internet. She also isn't allowed to take it to school, the Catholic grade school yet as it really isn't necessary since I drop and pick her up there on a daily basis. Next year, since it is clear across town and in a really congested part of town, she will be riding buses back and forth and will have a way to call me if she misses a bus. 

Comments

  1. There is no rhyme or reason as to the pricing of phones and phone plans. But I'm glad you were able to upgrade and surprise her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get their money back since we are now locked in to having that phone on the plan for the next three years. But in our case, there isn't any alternatives that get good reception, so unless we ditch cellphones altogether, we won't be changing carriers for three years anyway.

      Delete
  2. Ed, what an honest and refreshing reaction.

    We went through the same evolution with our children (by Gosh, those phones can be useful). I think The Ravishing Mrs. TB is attuned to the same sorts of deals, as new phones have appeared when there is a "sale" (by new phones I mean almost everyone else; I am perfectly happy with whatever my current version is until it becomes essentially unworkable).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and most unexpected.

      Yes, both of my daughters now have newer model phones than the ones my wife and I have. We don't heavily use ours so they tend to last a lot longer.

      Delete
  3. We shared a flip phone maybe up to 6 or 7 years ago. Whoever was out on their own would take it with them. Frankly, I ways had trouble operating it and find our smart phones much easier. And my watch reminds me if I forget it at home, which is very handy because I tend to be forgetful, and Sue wants me to able to be in contact. My carrier sent me a text in the middle of the night -- the middle of the night!! -- to inform me that I could have a better deal on my plan, if --IF -- I were to lease a new phone. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held out much longer than most and then, only got a flip phone which I had for a number of years. But after awhile, I could see the way the winds were blowing and new that a smart phone was inevitable. But I still fight back by keeping them as long as functionally possible before finally upgrading.

      Delete
  4. I had a Pantech flip phone - the smallest cutest little silver flip phone ever. Then AT&T said it couldn't be used with 4G or something like that and I had to upgrade. That was sad. I now have an iphone and keep hoping that flip phones come back that are small and cute.
    What a sweet daughter to be so concerned and touched that you spent so much money on her! Good luck on the controls - peer pressure will have her stepping into the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife had a European phone with a slideout number pad that she absolutely loved and we used it for as long as possible before it became totally obsolete. I have no doubt it would still be functional all these years later if not for the technology problem.

      Fortunately, our girls have been very obedient with our cellphone rules, knowing that having one is a privilege and not a right. They don't install or use apps without asking first and willingly give up their phone when we do spot checks.

      Delete
  5. Awww... this post melted my heart! You have such a sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart was melted too. I guess we did something right raising up our kids.

      Delete
  6. I thought we had a rule that we would wait until our daughters were driving to get them cell phones, but my late husband got a promotion, so he came back with four cell phones. The daughters were thrilled. I was not. Of course, since this was a long time ago, they weren't smart phones and weren't even flip phones. I'm not addicted to my smart phone but I know way too many who are, especially younger people. I'm glad you have strict rules for its usage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We restrict all electronics during the week and them let them use them with limits on the weekend. I keep waiting for my kids to give me grief on that rule but thus far, they have accepted them and I think thrived under them.

      Delete
  7. Aw! How sweet and indeed interesting that your youngest daughter reacted like that. I wonder why her immediate thought was that she was not worthy of such a gift? Most kids think that they are entitled to just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it was due to her over hearing are admonishments towards her older sister for wearing out the battery on her old phone and how expensive the new phone to get her through college was going to be.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, Ed! You have the sweetest, gentlest, most loving daughter. It makes me almost tear up thinking about her reaction to the fancy phone.
    My granddaughter is much older, of course, but I know my son-in-law who is also Ed and a super techie has put some safeguards on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to walk the line between trust and safe guards, siding mostly on trust but verifying once in awhile. Thus far, they haven't given me reason not to trust their phone usage.

      Delete
  9. That is a sweet moment. Williams smart phone has an app that can be set. He can only access the internet during specific times. The rest of the time is solely phone use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm familiar with those apps too but haven't resorted to them yet. Both girls have always followed my rules without pushing back though that time may come.

      Delete

Post a Comment