Floored

 

After Christmas, I caught a common cold and after a typical week of symptoms, thought I was about through with it. But then I either caught something else or just haven't been able to shake an unproductive cough for nearly a month. I'm not alone according to news reports but that brings little comfort. Fortunately other than a cough which I can treat with various medicines and remedies, it has had little other symptoms to go along with it. I have felt fine other than when I work up a head of steam and then stop, a coughing attack usually goes along with it.

Thus the flooring of our downstairs "family room" took a lot longer than I had hoped. Partly due to the ailment but also in large part that I really had no place for the furniture and so had to shift it this way and that as I tore up the existing floor and installed the new flooring. I'm still not done as there are a few trim pieces and a threshold that I need to fasten down with an industrial glue, including one piece attached to the bottom of the sliding aluminum patio doors in the background (behind curtains). The glue needs relative warmth to cure and right now, the aluminum is icy cold. So I will wait to do all the gluing in one go so I don't have to buy multiple caulking tubes of the stuff, when it is a bit warmer.

This constitutes a large milestone in my home remodeling project because this was the last room I had not fully remodeled (with a few caveats below). I had repainted it and installed the wood stove insert in the background, but never replaced the flooring which looked hideous the day we bought the place over 11 years ago for reasons mentioned in my previous post. Achieving this goal doesn't mean I am done though. The storage room on the other side of the wall from the stairs, has never been anything but concrete walls and wood studs. Other than a functioning laundry and a place for our deep freeze, canning jars and utility mechanisms, it is mostly a catch all room for those items like luggage or camping gear that only are used now and then. Someday, I would like to spruce up the corner around our canning jars and old chest deep freeze. There are also the stairs above with remnants of the same carpeting that was throughout the house when we bought it. I want to strip off the carpeting and do something different there that is more attractive and easier to clean. Also, two of the upstairs bedrooms still have old carpeting but in fair shape so hasn't been replaced yet.

Below is a picture of the old engineered laminate flooring. It doesn't look bad in the photo but was in fairly rough shape. Still, I figured if I gave it away for free, someone might take it for a hobby room floor where the appearance isn't as critical as the ability to clean it. The fellow who got the first half of it last year when I redid the mother-in-law suite got first dibs, as he requested, but after a week of no response, I just posted it on Marketplace. I expect after dozens of canned requests of "Is it still available?" and my judicious weeding of a dozen posts asking if I'll deliver it or hold it for the next paycheck after the second Thursday of next month type requests, someone will finally show up and it will be gone in a few days. A hassle, but not in the landfill which is my only other alternative.

[I finally got around to posting it and despite my saying in the ad that if you are reading this, it is still available so don't ask me that question, I had 50 people reply and of those 41 started off by asking if it was still available. After refusing to hold it for the third Thursday after next or for a relative that lived in another state and supposedly was willing to drive the following day to pick it up, someone who lived in town swung by and picked it up. They have two boys who are around 6 or 7 years of age who apparently were rough on flooring and so this was to be their new flooring in their bedroom. I may have sore fingers from so many DMs and a headache from dealing with stupid questions, but that pile didn't end up in the landfill.]



Comments

  1. Thanks for persisting and letting that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud the fact that you persisted with the old flooring and found a taker - avoiding the landfill option. Though it's not finished, what you have done in the "family room" looks super. Well done - and how are your knees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knees are fine thanks to a nice pair of kneepads. My ass muscles however, are still protesting. Other than suspending myself from a track mounted to the ceiling, I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening.

      Delete
    2. I am sorry but I do not wish to think about your ass.

      Delete
  3. Looks great, Ed, and I'm glad you were able to find a taker for the old flooring. Every little bit we can do for the environment helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wish it were easier to find someone. I'm thinking next time I need to put a dollar amount on it so it isn't free and perhaps weed some of the people from asking "Is it still available?"

      Delete
  4. Those sites are SO frustrating; I do the Buy Nothing and it's usually OK, but not always. People don't read or pay attention very well, do they? Hope your cough goes away soon. I had that last year and it hung on forever. (it felt like)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still here but slowly getting better. I'm no longer taking medicine to still in enough so I can fall asleep and I'm down to maybe a half dozen cough drops a day. I feel so much like a 2 pack a day smoker 25 years into a habit.

      Delete
  5. I also have a persistant cough - but it is going away, SO slowly. Great job on your floor and going through the trouble of posting it and finding a new home for the old planks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been going around her for some time so I was probably due.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're starting to feel better, Ed. Colds and flus are draining.
    We must have the same taste in furniture. I swear your sofa is the exact same one we had in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the first sofa we bought as a married couple 20 years ago.

      Delete
  7. It looks great, Ed! Another successful project. The bonus is that there is always someone needing old building materials, and happy to have it.

    Dan and I had that cough thing from Christmas till the end of January. Really annoying. No fever, no mucous, no congestion, just extremely inconvenient coughing bouts and not feeling like doing anything. Of cough drops, we found 'Fisherman's Friend' to be the most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I have what you had. Fortunately, this past week I've felt like I am truly getting better at last and have more energy again.

      Delete
  8. Ooooo! I like the new color and pattern! Nice job around the sniffles and hacking. Get better soon! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allow me to ask the obvious question -- do you think your illness is Covid? The cough can hang on and I think the illness often follows that kind of arc, with an initial cold/flu followed by more intense lung issues. I guess there's not much you can do about it if it IS that, but that's where my mind went. (Of course we all suspect Covid these days when anybody coughs!)

    Bravo for finding a new home for the floor and being persistent. I always get those "still available?" questions when I post things on Freecycle and they're darned annoying. I think they're just people collecting e-mail addresses for marketing purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I thought that right away and have tested several times but always tested negative. Whatever it is has been going around for awhile. My guess would RSV. It has been quite unlike anything I’ve ever had with no other symptoms than a cough that can go silent for much of the day and return quickly back.

      Delete

Post a Comment