Porting Into the 21st Century

 

A.I. Generated Artwork

For many years, I've put off a task that I know I shouldn't but just couldn't bring myself to do. I needed to upgrade my electronics to the 21st century. By that I mean I still have a landline phone, coaxial cable television that also services our internet, all in one bundle. In order to get better services that met our needs, I would need to unbundle things and align various services to all work together providing similar services at a much cheaper price, hopefully. But sometimes it is just easier to go on the past of least resistance, which in my case was to write an increasingly larger check for my bundled services.

Then out of the blue, a fiber optic cable started laying conduit for their cables in my town, then my area and even right through my front yard. According to their website, come spring, I will be able to have a CHOICE for my internet services for the first time since living here. I decided that I would be ready for spring when my time arrived.

The first step is dealing with the landline phone. I need it for two reasons. First, by using it as our primary phone number for all forms, accounts, services, it prevents our cellphones from getting bombarded with spam calls. Our landline, set on mute and going directly to voicemail, gets perhaps 25 calls a day, especially right before our caucus night as I right this. Second, my wife needs a line out that doesn't have her personal cellphone number on it since she calls patients directly at times. When a doctor's cellphone number gets distributed in public, there is nothing good that comes of it.

So I looked into switching it to Google Voice. My understanding is that I could port any phone number to Google Voice and then set it up to email me transcripts of any phone messages. This was perfect for my needs. It would allow me to remove the phone services from my previously mentioned bundle which then could allow me to choose an alternate internet provider who doesn't have such things. But and there is always a but, I apparently couldn't import a landline number to Google Voice, only a cellular number. 

Some quick research showed that there was a work around involving me porting my landline number to a cellular number using a cheap provider called Tello and then once there, I could port it to Google Voice for a one time fee. The YouTube video directions were clear and concise and though the video itself is only a few minutes long, the actual process still took me several weeks for various drawn out reasons which I will skip here. But finally I apparently have a landline number that now resides on an app on my phone and will email me transcripts of any phone messages left. 

Step two will be to wait for the fiber optic fellows to arrive in the spring and get signed up with them. 

Step three will be to ditch my cable and go to streaming as almost all my peers have long since done. I could do that now but my internet provider provides download limits which would turn my already very expensive bill even more expensive by a factor of two or three times. For that much money, I'll wait a few months longer. 

Step four will be to bundle up all that electrical refuse that now clutters my office desk, the electronics nook of the kitchen and the armoire holding our television and haul it downtown to the former captive provider and tell them where to stick it. 

Comments

  1. We recently did this, and the best part was packing up the old equipment and wires and getting rid of it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it though it will be a bit more to keep track of with an additional bill where there was only one for all these years, assuming Google Voice doesn't start charging which will be three bills where there was one.

      Delete
  2. Good morning. There is a way to keep your phone number private when calling out. Simply dial 67, then the phone number. This prevents your phone number from being displayed to the caller. A simple hack, but I suspect not many folks know about it. It might be a good solution for your wife when she is calling patients; then you could ditch the landline! If you google this, you'll fine some good info on it. Good luck!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my experience thus far, Google voice has an anonymous setting that works well and that is easily turned on if my wife needs to make a call for work. The majority of her calls are routed through a company phone center though which has a caller ID of the clinic's name so that patients are more likely to pick up.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what Google Voice is. Not sure, whatever it is, that we have it up here. We have a decent connection, but it isn't fibre optic. It is less expensive and it does us. Meanwhile, phone rates are very high here. With tax, we pay about $140/mo for two lines without a lot of long distance etc. Our quiet lives don't seem to requite it, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google Voice is a completely online phone number. If someone calls that number, it can be told to ring your home or cell phone or in my case, just take a message and email the transcribed message to me. As long as I have an internet connection, it is free of charge to use anywhere in the world.

      Our former landline was fairly reasonable. I think I paid around $15/mo for it. But as I said in my post, it was bundles with internet and television and so I can't change those without losing my number that everyone knows and so I had to port it over first to retain it.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're able to move forward. It's amazing how challenging it can be for rural areas when it comes to technology. I should know. (and I don't even live that many miles outside our city limits!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always envious when others talk about switching between carriers of internet, television or phone. For television, there has always only been one option. For internet, there has only been one option if you ever want to stream anything. Thanks to recent legislation though, much money is being poured into providing internet (and thus television too) access to these parts of the world and within a year, I may have three options for broadband internet and not just the one with the promise of a second in March.

      Delete
  5. I still have cable but would like to do what you're doing. It would be easy in my area because I do have many options. However, it seems overwhelming to me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't have any other options other than streaming everything online through something like YouTube TV. But right now, at least that gives me an option so perhaps I can negotiate better rates than I currently have.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Fortunately my mind is still able to complete such a task. Before long, these sorts of things will be beyond my capabilities.

      Delete
  7. You are eons of light years ahead of me. I just plod along and hope I am doing alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point, one has earned the right to coast.

      Delete
  8. Updating electronics and their setup is always a serious headache. I absolutely agree with you on the landline. We only have a VOIP phone, which is a close second, but not as good since it's out when the internet is out. Still, having it hooked up to an answering machine means we deal with very few spam calls as most spammers don't leave messages on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of my peers are plagued with spam calls and ways to prevent their cellphone from ringing with them. My cellphone maybe rings once every other week, and is always someone I know and want to talk to. I hope to keep it that way for as long as possible.

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the 21st century, Ed. Sounds like you are off to a good start. I bet you are glad the caucus is over. Our phone has sweet feature that sends unknown numbers straight to voicemail so I enjoy that. However, the oldest, enjoys talking to them whenever they call him as he thinks it is funny to mess with them. We live in strange times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly I went from 20 to 30 calls a day to 1 or 2. Amazing what a caucus date can do.

      Delete
  10. Good luck with all those changes, we got rid of our landline about 18 months ago...I still walk over to the wall to make a call every once in awhile... old habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I haven't answered my landline in probably a decade, and the ringer was on mute the entire time, I don't have that issue. But I have glanced at where the answering machine sat and the corner of my desk where the phone sat and wonder why those areas appear "cleaner" than normal.

      Delete
  11. I'm with Honolulu Aunty. You made my head spin. We have only two options in Hawaii for internet/phone etc. Hawaiiantel or Spectrum. We do Hawaiiantel for our landline. We need that landline for my mom although she's begun forgetting how to use/answer it. Many of my friends have totally given up their landline. We also wanted it for hurricanes or whatever in case the cell towers went down. We keep getting bombarded by Spectrum who are aggressively trying to get people to switch over. As for Internet... it's tempting to switch to Spectrum. Arrghhh.... it's too much for my limited brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the need, especially in areas where hurricanes or strong storms are a possibility. I can't remember a single time when our cell reception has gone out since I have had a cell phone so I'm hoping I'm pretty safe. On a chance it does happen someday, I'm betting that whatever caused the cell signal outage will cause me to have bigger fish to fry than talking on a telephone.

      Delete

Post a Comment