Photo Origin

 


I have always loved this photo of my great grandfather. I have only seen it as either a blown up picture or used in a magazine article about him. I've never seen the original. But in another random box among my great uncle's slides labeled "Summer 1963 Canada", I found it. From using contextual clues from the other slides in the box, it was taken at the fishing lodge/cabins my great grandparents used to manage.

I am unclear of the specifics but I have heard that my great grandparents managed a fishing camp somewhere up in Canada. I'll have to look back, but I'm fairly certain that it still exists and is called Tall Pines Camp but used to have Ballard's appended to the front when the original owners still owned it.  I'm assuming this photo is taken on Wabaskang Lake which the camp sits upon.

Also in the same box, is a photo of my great uncle standing upon an old wooden boat now high and dry somewhere. I'm sure there is a story here and I wish I knew it.

Finally, I thought I would end with this picture, of a couple whom I have never seen before. Perhaps they are the Ballards or one of the subsequent four other owners who have owned the camp over the years between the Ballards and the current owners. What caught my eye was the writing above the door which I could read until I mirrored the picture and sharpened everything up a bit. It says "Liar's Den." I imagine it was sort of a group space for guests staying in the individual cabins to meet and swap fishing stories... or lies. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, Ed. These remind me of the same era of pictures from my own family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at enough photographs, one becomes pretty good at identifying the decade which they were taken.

      Delete
  2. Great photos! The mystery woman is holding a cigarette. Everybody smoked in those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed that and I wouldn't be surprised if the man had one in his left hand hidden behind the railing.

      Delete
  3. Perfect name for a fishing cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish tales! Yes, they are part of many outdoor adventures. :) I enjoy old photos and wish I knew more about their history. Many of them have no notations on the back to even tell us who the people were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to do better by adding information as I scan them and putting the originals in context, i.e. divided by family groups. But I'm not sure I have enough time to label each and every photo.

      Delete
  5. Really neat photos! You could have your grandfather's photo blown up and printed, framed, and hang in your home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere, that blown up photo exist(ed). It is clear in my memory though I cannot for the life of me remember where I have seen the blown up version. I have only found a printed version in a company newsletter that did an article on my great grandfather.

      Delete
  6. Every new photo identified is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was easy to identify the person as I have memories of the man. However, the origin of the photo, something I don't normally consider, was a bit murky until I uncovered this slide.

      Delete
  7. Those are cool photos. The top one is probably on a wooden boat too, unless it's just the transom holding the outboard motor. Yep, I noticed the ciggie too. Not a good thing around wooden boats, eh? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't noticed that before but yes, it is a wooden boat or at least transom. I don't have any memories of my great grandparents or even grandparents smoking. It was never a thing in our family. But I suppose they could have smoked socially at points in their life as it was much more of an acceptable thing back then.

      Delete
  8. It's a great picture. So is the wooden boat! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it was a work boat even back in those days with all the square lines and lack of windows.

      Delete
  9. That first photo of your great grandfather speaks a lot ...... action...... determination....... adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps why I like that. All of my memories of him alive are when he was in a nursing home after a massive stroke, the antithesis of all the qualities you listed.

      Delete
  10. Your Grandfather is focused on the perfect spot for a big catch:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing my great grandfather loved to fish. I have a number of photos of him holding fish anyway. I also know my grandfather, definitely loved to fish so he probably learned it directly from his dad.

      Delete
  11. That's a cute story about the Liar's Den. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment