Lost Valley

 

On our final day, and perhaps the coldest day of the trip, we went on another short but classic hike, leaving earlier enough to be the first ones there as it is a popular hike among the tourists. The last time I had done this hike was almost 20 years prior on my honeymoon. The above photo is a panoramic photo of the area outside of the farthest feature and perhaps least well known (for reasons written below) on the short trail. Near my pack is the opening to a cave. We hiked here first to avoid any crowds that might follow as the cave is fairly small and could be a choke point with a lot of people. As it turned out, we had every interesting stop along the trail to ourselves though we met a large number of people heading in as we were hiking out.

Around the corner and inside the entrance of the cave from the previous picture above, I snapped this photo. The cave itself isn't much of a secret as there are signs pointing which way to hike to see it. What is not as well known is what is inside the cave.


Perhaps 20 feet inside the entrance, the cave walls close in and most people stop right there. But for the brave and those who brought extra light sources, one can squeeze through the narrow slot above and find another chamber perhaps another 20 feet further into the cave.

Inside this inner chamber is a small waterfall that flows from the ceiling and is very beautiful. It is also pitch black when one turns off your extra light. 

Down below the cave entrance is the only publicized falls on the hike from water coming from the cave and previously shown waterfall. 

Nearby, is also a large amphitheater like cave where legend has it that locals held church services in many decades ago. I have always believed it though as I grow older, I suspect it might not be true, or at least the size of the church. Despite the trail being fairly short, it is fairly rugged and steep to get to this cave and seems a bit of an effort to attend church. But perhaps a handful of people did hold a service or two in there over the years.

Also along the trail is a natural bridge but I didn't get any pictures of it that I can show on here. Essentially the same stream that issues forth from the cave inner chamber, over the previously shown waterfall that etched out the above cave, also carved a hole through solid stone further downstream that you can walk through if the water is low enough. 

When I made this hike for the first time nearly 40 years ago, there were also two beech trees that had rubbed against each other in the wind some 30 feet in the air and eventually grafted together forming an arch. I'm fairly certain on my honeymoon 20  years ago, that they were still there. This time, I didn't notice or see any of the signs pointing them out and so I think they have moved on and now mulch the valley floor. It does make me ponder what this place will look like in another 20 years from now.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It was and nice to see it without the crowds of people who were there as we were leaving.

      Delete
  2. Looks like an awesome hike, Ed! I did a lot of cave exploring when I was in high school but I don't think I could do it today. My imagination runs wild with what kind of creepy things might be living down there. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earthquakes and cave ins always come to the surface of mine whenever in a cave.

      Delete
  3. Interesting cave and your observations now vs 20 years ago:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a coming of age, when you start realizing how much things have changed in your own lifetime.

      Delete
  4. Being claustrophobic, I would not attempt the exploratory adventure you had. Thanks for taking us on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would probably be in the majority.

      Delete
  5. The hidden treasure of the interior chamber is wonderful! Maybe they just had Easter sunrise services rather than weekly ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps though "sunrise" down in the bottom of the valley is probably about 10:30 or 11:00.

      Delete
  6. I love seeing the interior chamber but am scared of caves and marginally claustrophobic so I don't know that I would venture in. I've also read about and seen films of instances of people getting trapped in caves. I would enjoy getting back into hiking but John wouldn't be up for it with his knee issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that makes it doable is that you only have to go 20 feet to reach it.

      Delete
  7. I can see why you'd like to get to this place early. You don't want to be pushed to see these rocks and caves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upper part of the trail is steep and narrow too.

      Delete
  8. Looks like an interesting place to explore. What kind of extra lights did you take with you, just flashlights (or cell phones)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad had several head lamps that were borrowed.

      Delete

Post a Comment