Bread Is Life

 

Last year sometime, I found Kev Alviti's blog An English Homestead and immediately fell for it as we share some things in common. He is a stay at home father though he does run a woodworking business. He lives on a small acreage and loves to garden. Best of all, he is a prolific writer and even video producer of all these things. 

Towards the first of December last year, Kev made a beautiful bread board with inset carved letters stating "Bread Is Life" along the top. You can see that post with video HERE. It just happened to coincide with my wife's deep dive into sourdough baking and I thought it would be a perfect gift for her. I immediately went to the Etsy site where he said it would be listed and tried to buy it but, I'm sure due to mailing logistics, it wasn't available to oversea customers. Since Kev lives in England and I in America, we thus have an ocean between us.

I let the idea stew for a week or so but saw that it still hadn't sold so I wrote Kev and offered to buy it and pay for all shipping costs as well. To my joy, he agreed and even put it in the mail before I had even paid the fellow. He was concerned about it reaching us in time for Christmas even if I wasn't so concerned about the timing.

As luck would happen, it arrived on the doorstep a few days before Christmas and my wife intercepted the package. She asked me why I had bought a cutting board (contents of foreign mailed packages must be written on the outside of the package) when we have so many. Also, by coincidence, my wife had just pulled a loaf of sourdough bread from the oven. So I opened up the package then and there and gifted my wife an early Christmas present (don't worry, there are others) and she was thrilled.

Thanks so much Kev! We will treasure your bread board and it has already seen a lot of use since it arrived into our household. For those who don't know Kev, you should stop by and read his blog, subscribe to his YouTube channel or I'm sure, any number of his social media websites. 

Comments

  1. That's a wonderful story and a nice looking bread board! I'm sure your wife is pleased and I'll have to look at Kev's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really has enjoyed it and it has seen probably a handful of loaves on it already.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice piece and story. There isn't an ocean between the USA and Canada, but it sometimes feels like it when it comes to mail. And other things too. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This came a lot sooner than I expected. I think he mailed it perhaps 10 days before Christmas and it was here in 7.

      Delete
  3. That is magnificent Ed! Thanks for sharing.

    A complete second to anyone who does not follow Kev and his family. Really nice guy, really engaging site, really great craftsman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very engaging and I like the mix of woodworking, gardening and home life.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful board!! (and a great gift)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of my better gifted ones this year.

      Delete
  5. What a perfect gift and it would encourage lots of bread baking! A win-win situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was and it was a win for Kev too so a win-win-win!

      Delete
  6. Such a great and happy purchase! As you can imagine, getting things shipped to Hawaii is often very difficult so I have things shipped to my daughter in Seattle and then to me. What I don't understand is that we are part of the 50 states so flat rate USPS boxes apply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never put much thought into it but after reading this comment, I have no doubt that it is probably very frustrating. Maybe my quick mail service will get tempered by the feet of snow that is about to hit us so that we balance out!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you got Kev's bread board!! What a treat. I love that it worked out. Kev is an inspiring guy in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! And how kind of Kev to go the extra mile to assure it got to you by Christmas. And the presentation to your wife, and the timing, could not have been better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment