Box 10B

 

Ernest Kuck and my great grandfather

A little over a year ago, we traveled out to The Dalles, Oregon area to vacation and experience some of the area a distant relative had lived and then funded a huge museum when he died. I wrote about that HERE. Ernest Kuck was my first cousin, three times removed or translated, my first cousin three generations different than I. The nearest relative we both share in our family tree is my 3rd great grandfather, and original immigrant along that branch, John Kuck. 

Growing up, I didn't know anything about John Kuck and my grandfather didn't know anything either. I always suspected a lot of that had to do with John Kuck dying while his grandson, my great grandfather and the gentleman on the right in the above picture, was away fighting World War I in France. It was only after I started figuring out my family tree using genealogy that I finally pieced things together and discovered the gravesite for John Kuck which my grandparents were able to visit for the first time before they died.

I have often told of the story of John Kuck having seven children and losing five of them and a wife due to a diphtheria pandemic. It was only maybe a decade ago before I really looked into the other surviving child who wasn't my great great grandfather. It was only at that time that I ever knew anything about Henry being a somewhat famous western saddle maker and state senator. I'm pretty sure I asked my grandfather about Henry but I can't remember him knowing anything about him. I thus have always assumed that our two branches of the family had never met. 

Then came box 10B of my great uncles slides and I discovered I was very wrong on that assumption. Above is Ernest Kuck on the left and my great grandfather on the right. They are first cousins with no time removed.  My great uncle took that picture and was along for that trip though my grandfather apparently wasn't. I've seen no evidence of him in any of the dozen or so boxes of slides I've scanned thus far. Since this trip occurred in the summer of 1966, my grandfather would have been married with two children around the house.  My great uncle had been married but his wife Roma had died 5 years earlier due to a genetic disease and thus widowed with no children, my great uncle tagged along on the vacation. 

my great uncle who would have been 44 posing near a 350 year old ponderosa pine according to the writing on the slide.

Growing up, my great uncle was quite fond of my brother and I and though we didn't know our great grandfather well since he died when I was 12 and my only memories of him are after his severe stroke, we got to know our great uncle quite well. In fact, I was married and had kids the last time I saw him before he too passed away in 2012. One of my biggest regrets has always been not asking my great uncle more questions about family and his life in the military when I had the chance. I would have loved to ask him about the Kucks who went west and he probably would have been thrilled to learn that due to Ernie's generosity, there is now a major museum named after the Kuck family. 

Great grandparents sitting in front of Ernest Kuck's cabin, near The Dalles, Oregon


Comments

  1. Gosh Ed, your thoughts are so familiar. I think we all tend to look only at our direct ancestors when we start our genealogical journeys, and only later start looking at our ancestors siblings. So much interesting family history to be learned from that. And I think we all regret not taking more interest in family history while our elderly family members are still alive. I think it's great that you have the resources you you do. Treasures all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of that, in my person experience, is that I've maxed out what online records can do and to proceed further down branches of my family tree, I need to take long trips for personal research. Until then, I flesh out the branches of my family tree looking at stories of non-direct ancestors.

      Delete
  2. Those photos are serendipitous. Well done. Aside form finding the pictures, you certainly know your genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably nearing 30 years of research at this point so it shouldn't be to surprising.

      Delete
  3. Your genealogy work amazes me. And the slides seem to be wonderfully cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in pretty good shape. Unless stated otherwise, I have done nothing but scan them. For me, having a vintage picture means it needs to look vintage as well. Occasionally I will edit one a bit further to add contrast and brighten up the fading but I usually state that so the wrong impression isn't given.

      Delete
  4. Ed, that first picture makes me laugh. I have pictures of my maternal grandfather and friends wearing exactly the same sort of pants and shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If definitely screams mid to late 60's for sure. Even the hands on the hips like what my great grandfather is displaying is period. I would get laughed out of the frame of reference if I did something like that now!

      Delete
  5. I had an uncle by marriage who lived an extraordinary life. I wish I had asked him more about it, especially his time serving on Patton's staff in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I have found with WWII, there is a plethora of historical books on just about every theater of the war I have been interested in reading to give one a sense of what ancestors went through. My great uncle was in the Pacific theater aboard three or four different battleships and I've read a lot of what each of those experienced to gain a sense on the questions I missed asking.

      Delete
  6. What a gift to have those photos and the stories you do have! When our older generation wants to share their history, we're not interested and when we are, they're already gone. It's the same in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days, I have a dream of sorting through all these posts and creating a book out of the family history ones to have printed and handed out so perhaps they won't be lost for a good long while.

      Delete
  7. Leigh has it right. we should ask our family and ancestors more questions. When I got old enough to ask Dad questions, he mostly said , "I don't remember. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the same response. I have pondered how much of that is just sadness for things gone by and how much is truly unremembered.

      Delete
  8. I'm really glad we recorded my mother and aunts' memories before two of them passed away. We even took a video of them and was glad to be able to share them with my cousins after their moms passed away. It's so great that you are doing all this research to pass down to your daughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my prized stories/pictures/recordings have been given to me by strangers over the years.

      Delete
  9. More great old slides! These were taken the summer of the year I was born. It's great that you could piece together your family members' interactions with these visual clues. I talked to my relatives a lot about our family but I still wish I'd asked more when I had the chance. I suppose we never feel we get all the information we should have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in my defense, my uncle wrote copious amounts of notes on the cardboard edges of the slides.

      Delete

Post a Comment