Some Seasonal Traditions


Always one of my favorite days of the year, the day we light our first fire in the downstairs fireplace, arrived not to long ago. There aren't any distractions downstairs, no phones, no television, etc., only a comfortable reclining couch and a fireplace. So on periodic weekend days throughout the winter months, we will light a fire in the fireplace and spend the day reading and napping on the couch, basking in the warmth of the direct heat like lizards. The ashes from this fire have long since grown cold but I hope that the second fire is soon upon us.

For my entire life, five decades and counting, we have always cut down a wild "Christmas tree" in the days after Thanksgiving. I used the quotes because we have always cut down a tree that for many is considered more like a weed than a tree of value. The red cedar tree, while native to our area, propagates very well and grows in undesirable places so people often spend lots of time cutting them down so stop them.

They don't make a particularly classic Christmas tree. They are prickly and brownish this time of year along with not being very classically shaped. Some people even complain about the smell which is very distinctive and strong after you cut into the wood. But after we cut one down, we stick it in a bucket of water which softens up the needles quite nicely. We also put a good dollop of green food coloring in the initial water bucket which gets absorbed up into the tree and greens it up quite nicely. There isn't a lot that I can do about the shape or odor of the tree but to me, it looks rustic and that is a vibe I like to associate with our subdued Christmas traditions. 


When the day arrives, I always through a length of rope, some plastic sheeting, gloves and a tree saw into the back of our vehicle when we go out looking. I guess it is my warped brain but when I look down at these supplies, I always think of a serial killer. I guess in a way I am though of trees and not people 

For many decades, we got our trees down at the farm but after all these years, we've had a hard time finding one. There are still tons of red cedars but none small enough to become our Christmas tree. So for the past handful of years, we've had to go elsewhere while letting our farm regenerate more. I had an acquaintance who had a property full of them closer to where I currently live and we got one there one year but he has been removing them to turn the land over to a different use and eventually he got them all cut down and burned. Last year and this year we have gone to an acquaintance of my wife and cut down our red cedar tree but they too have a lack of small ones.

As a stand of red cedar trees grows and gets taller, they shade/crowd out any new trees so we often find the smaller trees on the periphery of the stand. If the land owner mows or tills the land on the periphery, then the trees become contained and they don't produce and small trees useful as a Christmas tree.

All of this is to say that I have absolutely no idea where I will be getting a tree next year or even if I will get another red cedar and keep the tradition alive. There are red cedars everywhere but just not on the property of somebody I know. So I will either have to introduce myself and ask, cut one down from a public right away in a ditch somewhere or figure out another tradition. But I have another year to think about it before I have to have an answer. 

My view of the Christmas tree in the early morning hours.


Comments

  1. We haven't lit our first fire yet. It's getting close, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we had more of them, I wouldn't be pushing the envelope but with the girls school schedules and everything else going on, I don't get a fire near as often as I would like and so I start fire season fairly early.

      Delete
  2. I find it very much in the seasonal spirit to give these somewhat sad tree a last hurrah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived further south, I might consider digging up a tree and then transplanting it after the first of the year so it wouldn't be a last hurrah but a memorable month!

      Delete
  3. I love rustic. It's a refreshing changed from the over-commercialized type of tree so common now. Your's looks magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody has ever mistaken my tree for plastic!

      Delete
  4. Ok, yes, your supplies just mean you're a serial Christmas tree killer. LOVE the idea of a "natural, wide" tree. My son was poor after buying his first house, and I tried to get him to cut such a tree across the street in an undeveloped section. Nope, wasn't gonna do it. Your tree has old-time comfort. I hadn't heard of adding green food coloring to the water! It looks very lovely and unique, just like the nice people in the world! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see lots of perfect red cedar trees along the roadways but refrain from cutting them without express permission from the owner. With my luck, I would be cutting down someone's prized possession.

      Delete
  5. I think that cedar makes a decent tree, actually! Certainly much better than our avocado. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had an indoor plant that I could decorate, I would take that over a red cedar any day. It is a lot less work finding, setting up and cleaning up afterwards plus it is more environmentally friendly.

      Delete
  6. You should plant some at your farm and trim them into more of a traditional tree shape and you would have your own stash of trees:) It makes for a great little tree so cheerful and bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably be shot by neighboring farmers who consider them noxious weeds.

      Delete
  7. We haven't built a fire in years. For that matter, we haven't put up a full sized tree in years, either! Both look inviting in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in an old farm house whose sole source of heat was a wood burning stove in the center of it. I think that direct source of heat still is addicting to me and I like the sauna like qualities (without the humidity) that our basement family room takes on after a full day of keeping a fire burning.

      Delete
  8. It looks like a Charlie Brown tree with more leaves. Very charming and good for the environment. You won't be wasting it since you will use it for firewood after the season is done. We have so much waste here in Hawaii. People dump out their purchased Christmas trees that are brought in by ship. Still...a Christmas tree in the parlor makes it feel like Christmas with its smell, shape, and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about being good for the environment since I'm essentially removing a carbon capture source and then releasing all that carbon when it is burned later on. Our trees don't make good firewood since they are so small with so many branches that one would burn more gas in trimming those branches with a chainsaw than I would save on my heating bill burning the wood. With several acres of trees, I always have a burn pile somewhere and I just throw the dead red cedar trees into the burn pile. They burn nice and hot when I set the pile ablaze.

      Delete
  9. I like it! I've never had a cedar, only firs of various types. I've had my fire on frequently although it's a gas insert so it involves pressing a button. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I would probably have more fires if I had a gas insert where I pressed a button. For me, it is all about the direct heat more than the ambiance. But having a wood burning insert, is a good way for me to use up some of the dead wood three acres of trees provide me with.

      Delete
    2. It sounds like the wood burning stove serves several purposes for you whereas I would have to buy wood and then deal with building a fire. My gas insert, like most, isn't purely ornamental; it has fans which put out an enormous amount of heat. There have been a few times where I've been upstairs and accidentally let my downstairs get up to 80 degrees. The cat loves that. LOL

      Delete
  10. Ed, almost the first thing I do when I arrive at The Ranch during the Winter is light a fire. I love them.

    The tradition here is that The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Na Clann do all decorating, with the sole exception of outside lights which remain my responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are salve for my soul. They invite contemplation and peace.

      Delete
  11. The tree looks great, Ed. Glad to hear the first fire went well. Enjoy them both.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment