Waste Not, Want Not

 

The stars aligned and last Friday, my wife and kids joined me on another fishing expedition to the pond that is slowly draining out and probably in danger of freezing up completely this winter and killing all its resident fish. On my prior solo trip, the fishing had been spectacular and I wanted my children and wife the same.

With four poles in the water, I thought we would catch all we cared to clean in minutes but for some reason the bass weren't biting for the longest time. I was beginning to think perhaps I had caught them all the last trip when like a switch, they began biting. I could barely keep up with unhooking large bass from the poles of my wife and children. Great fun and lots of squeals of delight abounded. In less than 2 hours, we had 13 large bass and one large bluegill and called it a day, probably a year. 

Back home, I fileted the fish out and froze 3/4ths of them for later eating. The heads were saved for fish head soup. The skin and bones went into a large stock pot and was cooked down making a very thick broth. Fortunately we have an industrial sized exhaust hood to keep the odor control down inside our house but I'm sure our downwind neighbors suspected something fishy was going on.

I ended up canning 12 pints of fish broth which will be used in the fish head soup or perhaps a seafood risotto. It is a shame that all those large bass have no place to go and are facing extinction, at least on our farm, but their lives shall not be in vain.

Comments

  1. Good for you for now, and I hope the other fish survive the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if it doesn't freeze solid, I'm worried about enough to feed them through the winter with ice preventing any food from entering the water.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thanks for your comment on the other post. I accidentally double scheduled a post so I changed the German translation post to a future date.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun fishing trip!! We didn't fish nearly enough this year, but it was so blasted hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even for me living much further north, fishing is a spring and fall sport.

      Delete
  3. That's an excellent haul and great family fun! I never got into fishing but John is probably going to invite me to go crabbing and clamming. I will (reluctantly) go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily take your place if I lived closer!

      Delete
  4. I had no idea you are a fisherman Ed. Nice to get the whole family involved! We don't fish but we love fish, so lucky you to have all that in the freezer. Plus the stock! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved to fish but just have never done so very often. I guess it just hasn't been a priority in my life as it might be for others.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think everyone had fun and will remember it for awhile.

      Delete
  6. Well, of course I don't know the circumstances, but fish are pretty resourceful and they're survivors. Maybe some will make it through the winter. Meanwhile you've got a feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two less feasts than we did have! The ones we have eaten thus far were very tasty!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on a great fishing day! One to be remembered forever. The fish broth is SO healthy and be enjoyed, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. It is the first time I have made broth from fish.

      Delete
  8. As much fishing as I did as a child and even an adult, we never used all the fish--the bones and heads were buried in the garden, not turned into soup! Do you make your own fish sauce? That's pretty stinky, but it adds good flavor to pad thai and other Asian delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't give my wife ideas. I can't imagine the smell of making fish sauce inside a well sealed up house! We do use a fair amount of the stuff in cooking but it comes in a purchased bottle.

      Delete
  9. Wow! My sister-in-law and brother-in-law LOVE to go fishing for bass at June Lake in California, but mostly it's catch and release. How awesome that you have all that fish broth waiting to be used.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment