Prepping... For the Big Project


After fixing my tablesaw fence, I set about winterizing the garage. This meant mostly getting my snow blower from it's place in the corner and putting it in the center of the back wall of the garage so I can retrieve it for use clearing the driveway without pulling either of the vehicles out of their snug places in the garage. All the summer garden hoses, produce wagon, buckets and other things get tucked in the now vacant corner where they are out of way until spring when I reverse the process. 

With that done, I set my eyes on prepping for the next project. Some may recall that last year, I did the great bedroom swap. My eldest moved downstairs to the MIL suite, my MIL moved up to my youngest room and the youngest moved into the eldest room. As part of that swap, I had to replace the carpet in the new MIL room upstairs and took the opportunity to start redoing the laminate flooring downstairs in the now eldest bedroom. 

Over the years, I've touched every room and just about every surface in one form or another as I have fixed things up. One of the surfaces that has bugged me that entire time but I haven't touched was the flooring in the basement. It was a very cheap laminate floor installed over the concrete basement floor that had no vapor barrier used when it was poured 50 years ago as was the custom back then. As a result, water vapor has migrated up through the concrete slab and been absorbed the the cheap wood laminate flooring causing it to blister and pucker at every single seam. It looks hideous when one looks at it closely in good lighting but the dark color and poor lighting of the basement mostly kept it hidden from being easily noticed which is why it has taken me this long to fix it. 

I started by tearing it out in the new eldest bedroom and installing a luxury vinyl plank (LVP) product in it's place. The LVP is water proof so is unaffected by moisture migrating through the concrete and best of all, should the basement ever flood, I could remove the flooring, clean it, dry it, and reinstall it without issue.  I got my daughter's bedroom done, the first piece of the great bedroom swap, and then stopped so I could completely redo the other two bedrooms in the swap. By the time that occurred, spring was upon us and time was short. The rest of the LVP planks (which look just like wood planks) have sat in my basement storage room waiting for another winter to arrive.

That day will soon be here and so I have begun to prep for replacing the rest of the basement flooring with LVP. Part of that prep involved getting kneepads, something I regrettable didn't have last winter. The other part was coming up with another cutting method. Last winter, I used my cross cut saw that I use in woodworking. It worked well but it very heavy and hard to carry down the stairs and so I wheeled it underneath our deck and used it outside on the patio. Going in and out of a house during winter, tracking in snow, and having to tarp it whenever there was rain or snow in the forecast wasn't a pleasant experience and so I sought an alternative. For a reasonable penny or two, I could buy a laminate flooring cutter seen at the top of this lengthy post that allows me to cut the flooring to size while emitting no dust, was easy to carry and portable so I could use and keep it inside all winter as I work. I haven't tried it out yet to verify it can indeed cut the LVP but if it does, it should make the project much more enjoyable. 

Comments

  1. That looks like a nifty device. God to get ready for snow. Apparently, we are getting or first real blast overnight. It will likely also involve freezing rain too. And we change our tires tomorrow, after the first blast, and I'll have to go out in the weather to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately no snow in our forecast... yet. With global warming, a white Christmas down here is about a 50/50 chance anymore.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck, Ed. Looking forward to the final results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wish of luck. I bought a pair of kneepads which will help, but I'm still not looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Even down here in the milder south, there are rituals for moving from summer to winter (and back again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have rituals marking the end/beginning of seasons.

      Delete
  4. Oh, a new toy! Looks like a tile cutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similar. I have one of those two that I bought on the cheap for a small project and has now seen four different bathroom remodel jobs and one kitchen remodel job.

      Delete
  5. A fine looking device, indeed. With regard to snow this coming winter, I read there will be another El Nino influence, and if things are similar to the last one, I believe your part of the country could get more than usual snowfall. But that's not a forecast, just a possibility based on past El Nino activity. But either way, you will be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that about El Nino but history always says we get about a normal snowfall which in the era of global warming, isn't all that much. We tend to stay just south of the jet stream and all the snow it brings along to those on the north side of it.

      Delete
  6. I do hear that winter is coming so good luck to you and your upcoming project. It will probably look amazing based on the other projects that you have shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would look better with better materials but it is a basement after all and really only gets heavy use on winter weekends we we spend the day enjoying the fireplace. During the summer, I only glance at it as I make my way to the office or storage room.

      Delete
  7. I have laid some LVP in my basement. It's not hard, but slow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I'm dreading is the laying of the LVP around several door jams. They are frustrating to say the least. Once I get out in the feel and everything is squared, it goes really fast at that point.

      Delete
  8. I do need to get my winter tires put on, but otherwise not much is required here. I love the LVP; I had it put in my rental house instead of carpet although the bedrooms are carpeted. You are fortunate to be able to put it down yourself; it cost me quite a lot of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan. I don't really like the feel of walking on it I guess. But in this case, it is the best product for the area and with the water vapor issues. Tile would work too but it is very expensive and a lot more labor intensive to do.

      Delete
  9. We used vinyl laminate in a rental. We liked it so much we used it in two more. It really does hold up well. We are quite pleased with the product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were in the rental business, it would be my choice as well. Durable, cheap and easy to DIY.

      Delete
  10. The right tools for the right projects make a big difference! Knee pads included! When I tiled our floors I used an old garage sale chair pad:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought about knee pads until a recent job where I helped someone lay down some flooring and they loaned me a pair. I realized then what I have been missing all these years!

      Delete
  11. We have vinyl flooring also and it's held up beautifully for 15 years so far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment