Buried Treasure?

 

A.I. Generated Artwork

Every once in awhile, a story comes along that surprises me. I was talking with family about past tenants of our farm land over the years and we got to talking about land owned by a particular family. I have found old pictures of their homestead and we were looking at one of those pictures of the various buildings and geographic features. It was casually brought up that the tenant built a pond behind the house and to create fish habitat, sank a Model T in the middle. 

Although I haven't in several decades, I have fished in that pond before though I don't remember any lure snags or even fish stories. But it certainly got my mind wandering about what if anything remains of that Model T. Wouldn't it be neat to dig it out? Looking at old aerial photographs, the pond didn't exist in 1960 but did in 1970 so it is somewhere north of 50 years sunk at this point. In reality, I suspect the Model T was thoroughly shot before it was sunk into the pond and what remained back then, has long evaporated into rust particles buried in the mud at the bottom. I don't know if any plastic was in a Model T, but that is likely all that is left if one could see it buried in the mud. 

So for now, it is just another story I will file away into the recesses of my brain and perhaps someday if the pond goes dry, I might wander out there with a metal detector for a look.


Actual Pond


Comments

  1. Oooh, I like a good mystery Ed. Here is hoping you can investigate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be an investigation of patience since I will have to wait for the pond dam to fail first.

      Delete
  2. That's an interesting story! (and a pretty neat AI photo) I'm sure someone will question whether there was a body in the car. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the warm and oxygen rich pond waters present, any organics would be long gone by now... fortunately.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking along a similar thought as Kelly... The car may have rusted but the bones in the boot may still be there!

      Delete
  3. I wonder if it's even a true story. Tales like this sometimes seem to start out as a fanciful idea that, over a period of decades, becomes fact. (I grew up on a lake and we heard similar stories about things sunk in it, but I don't think any of them were true.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this one is essentially second hand news, i.e. the person who told me heard it from the person who owned and sank the Model T. But you are right and I certainly wouldn't place my life's fortune on it being true.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm. Seems to be a photo op pic, and the surrounding greenery doesn't seem to be for your neck of the woods. Bet it was dug out of the pond or deleted from the photo. Koi hang around your pond? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top photo was created by Microsoft's Artificial Intelligence program and is 100% fake. I've fished in the actual pond, seen in the bottom satellite photo but can't recall catching anything other than a few bluegills.

      Delete
  5. I would love to know if it were still there! I'm a curious sort. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too which is why the story intrigued me!

      Delete
  6. You did the artwork? and the shot from above? Super neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first photo was created by artificial intelligence. My input was simple telling it I wanted a picture of a pond with a model T sunk in it. The A.I. did the rest. The second photo is a publicly available satellite photo.

      Delete
  7. You are not convincing me of the glories of AI. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found much of a use for the text writing versions of it but I do enjoy the painting creating version, especially when I have a post without a picture that I've taken to go along with it.

      Delete
  8. Oh I like stories with a bit of mystery:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your AI picture is a lot of fun. I'm not quite understanding how you create a picture using a AI. That is intriguing. Is it a program or app that you purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to this website: https://www.bing.com/images/create?

      Type in a visual description of a painting you would like to see.

      Delete
    2. This is absolutely awesome! I just tried it out and LOVED it. Thank you, thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment