30th Birthday Party

 

Thirty years ago, a friend of mine called my dorm room asking if I wanted to go see a new band in a small bar/eatery on campus. I agreed and as we walked in, the first song I heard them play was a cover song by John Prine called "Angel From Montgomery." Even back then, few had ever heard of John Prine and certainly nobody my age so it really grabbed my attention that these two young kids were now singing it to the crowd of which I was a part. The night went on and I really enjoyed their music enough that I soon purchased their debut CD. I no longer recall if it was available then or came about soon after but I do know, that was one of their first concerts The Nadas ever performed.

Thirty years later, at a concert my wife took me too for my birthday, they announced they would be playing a 30th birthday show back in the state where I live and we both thought it might be nice to attend. We never bought tickets though as it was a long way off. Then a new farm-to-table restaurant opened up nearby and I thought we might combine both in one evening but thus far, we have still been unable to score reservations for the farm-to-table restaurant. We went back and forth and eventually decided to just buy concert tickets and attend regardless of the restaurant. 

We had two options for tickets, general admission or VIP with reserved seating. The VIP tickets also included backstage passes to party with the band and here an acoustic pre-concert set. We decided to splurge and go for the VIP tickets and indeed got to party with the band, including eating from their eclectic food table below before the concert. They played a handful of songs for the 30 of us who had purchased the VIP tickets and mingled with us before the concert. Eventually, we were able to sneak into the venue and reserve our seats before the doors were opened for general admission. All was going well and we were having a great time.

Then three or four songs into the set, the three drunk groupies decided to get up and dance in the narrow front aisle between the first row of seats and the stage. A couple songs went by and the rest of us humored them hoping they would sit back down so we could enjoy the concert but it was not to be. Soon, they became persuading others to come up and then immediately, those who had purchased general admission tickets and were seating in the back of the venue rushed to the stage and my wife and I found ourselves looking at twerking butts of over a hundred other people less than a couple feet in front of our faces. (We were in the second row.) We could no longer even see The Nadas on stage.

I hoped the venue workers would clear them out but they never did other than collaring a few for putting drinks on the stage. After a half dozen songs, I had enough and we got up and walked to the back of the venue where there were now available seats and we could sit, enjoy the performance, AND see The Nadas, the entire reason we paid extra for our tickets. Although we still enjoyed ourselves and I don't regret going, it has kind of soured me on attending anymore of their concerts where I pay for a seat.

As mentioned above, the center part of the food spread was eclectic but is sort of an inside joke from some of their older songs. On either side of this picture were giant meat, cheese and cracker spreads along with an open bar, hence the three drunk groupies that soured my second row seating experience.



Comments

  1. I am shocked that was allowed to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I wasn't too shocked. I've seen them dozens of times over the years and always in a bar setting where seating is minimal at best and so one stands in front of the stage or marked space for their performance. This is the only time I have ever seen them in a theater designed for plays and musical performances. But I was a bit naïve that people would spend the performance seated in their seats.

      Delete
  2. Years ago when Willie Nelson was in his prime, we went to see him, Waylon Jennings, Tompall Glaser and others. I got fairly good seats for us, although not on the floor level. A drunk man in front of us, with a large bottle of some kind of liquor he sipped from every once in awhile. By the time the concert was nearing its end, he was standing up waving his bottle above his head and SINGING at the top of his voice. I've gone to Rock concerts with grandkids, and you might as well not expect to sit down, because those audiences stand up the whole time. By the way, I've been a big fan of John Prine for years. I hated that Covid killed him, after he had won his fight with cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With rare exception, I gave up arena concerts for the reasons you described here -- loud, obnoxious people who call attention to themselves and take it away from the reason I am there, the performer or performers. Quite unfortunate you had this type of experience in a smaller venue in which you paid for a seat. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have expected to be standing at an arena concert which is why I haven't been to one in a couple decades.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's annoying! I used to be much easier to dance during shows, but in many theaters and arenas now there's just no space for it where people aren't, as you said, sticking their butts in other people's faces. Maybe it just wasn't the best venue for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They typically get a lot of dancers when performing in bars, their normal venue.

      Delete
  5. What a shame your experience was marred by a group of drunks. I'm glad they didn't totally ruin things for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the best of it, something I always try to do in not so great situations.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the Who concert I went to last year although it was hard to see the band with people standing in front of me. However, it was an old and not drunk crowd so they were generally polite and sat down part of the time. Live concerts are fun once in a while but also a hassle and expensive. (with annoying people sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidently, this crowd is middle aged, most pushing their 50's.

      Delete
  7. Ah well. Something to blog about that stirs up old memories and shared disgusts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ed, from the videos my children send me of concerts of bands from the '80's, this seems to be the rule. And, as you say, most from people in the 50's or older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just waiting for the day when I find one of their songs on an "oldies" station.

      Delete
  9. I guess that's why I have never been one for front row seats. The music is always crazy loud anyway. I go to hear them. That's important to me, so I don't mind lawn tickets or seats in the back. As long as I can hear a live show, I'm good. When we saw Kansas, we had two high people next to us, and one was twerking, but she was doing it in her girlfriend's face, putting on quite a show for the folks behind us. They finally moved their seats down enough that we could watch the rest of the show without that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a small theater so it was LOUD everywhere. Fortunately, I have been to enough concerts that I put in my concert earplugs that are supposed to reduce the sound 25db to a reasonably loud level.

      Delete
  10. That should not be allowed...why buy good tickets if people stand in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well good grief! That's really bummers! There are extremely thoughtless people around, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment