Some Assembly Required

Above and below are pictures showing some of the drawer construction. It is just simple dadoes and rabbets (rebates to you non-Americans) with plenty of glue and a few nails to hold things together until the glue dries. The assembly went well and I got all of them assembled in two partial days and then sanded off the excess glue.

This left a large stack of drawers on top of my table saw awaiting for me to apply drawer pulls and the other half of the drawer slides to make them actually behave like drawers.  A keen eye might notice some errant nails protruding out of the sides here and there. Because plywood is composed of layers of wood in various grain directions, nails can and sometimes do go in weird directions. It is a reminder of why one doesn't keep one's fingers anywhere near the area where a nail/brad is being applied with an air gun which is what I was using. But as I have said before, this is shop furniture so once the glue dried, I just ground them flush with a grinder and proceeded on. If any future guests of mine spend enough time looking at the sides of my drawers versus what is inside them and notice the ground off brad nails, then I guess I can tell them their time has expired and they need to leave my premises. 


Comments

  1. When I come to Iowa to stay with you for three months, I promise not to criticise your drawers. I will bring my own English teabags as I never drink coffee in the morning. Ninety days + four mugs of tea a day = 360 teabags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the larger drawers will hold all those teabags.

      Delete
    2. I will need another two drawers for ninety pairs of underpants - unless of course you have a washing machine.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. If Tim had that many drawers, he'd have to buy stuff to fill those drawers. He cannot bear to waste anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, I only have contents in one side of drawers. I'm refraining from buying anything or filling up the other drawers until I have used it some and find out what works where.

      Delete
  3. It looks more than good enough to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! Very neat handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't inspect any drawers on my next visit to your city. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you put your drawers in my drawers, they might be in the company of my dirty tools.

      Delete
  6. I've always been a little frightened of nail guns. I have memories of a movie I saw once where one was used as a murder weapon. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These have safeties to prevent such things unless intentionally over ridden which I never do.

      Delete
  7. My cousin says "The smart ones won't say anything and the dumb ones don't know the difference"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that saying and may have to borrow it!

      Delete
  8. Uncooperative nails are the way things are. Whatcha gonna do? That's exactly how Dan would deal with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have used just clamps and gone slower if it were for more decorative work.

      Delete
  9. Oh my! Such busy hands. It took me almost the whole day getting 2 drawers (from Recyle Hawaii) to slide into an existing cabinet opening. Your tip about using scrap wood (I used painting stir sticks) to hold in place the slider bar was genius! Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it worked out! Sometimes the detail work takes the longest.

      Delete
  10. One of the great assets of any master is knowing when "good enough" really is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least knows when he has had enough of one project and wants to move onto something different.

      Delete

Post a Comment