Fisher of Fish


When I was a young teen, a farm pond was most likely going to freeze dry over winter and so my family obtained a seine and drug it through the knee deep water. We drug out a lot of bullheads which we cleaned and ate and also a number of bass which we put in buckets and transferred to another larger farm pond that we had. What had always been a bluegill pond, slowly transformed into a bass pond and the bass grew quite large. Although I never fished there often over the years, it was nice to catch some of those big bass and toss them back in for someone else to catch. I was content to eat the smaller bass and the bluegill.

Now, decades later, the outflow pipe to that pond has rusted out below the bed of the pond causing the water to spill out to that level. What was probably six feet deep or more in the middle is now maybe two feet deep and the pond is a tiny fraction of it's original size. Essentially the pond is unfixable at this point without fully draining it and at that point, it would probably be cheaper just to build a new one. But for some reason, thoughts of fishing it in the past came to my mind and for the first time in probably five plus years, I thought perhaps I should go down and fish it one last time if it wasn't already too late. However, this time, there was no sense in tossing the fish back for someone else to catch because there might not be a next time.

I tossed my lure in the water and a large bass immediately struck it but as I was reeling it in, it got away. That was maybe one of a half dozen misses I had for the next thirty minutes where I reeled in a lure instead of a fish. All my other casts resulted in a large bass hooked on the other end. I kept the largest of them and threw the smaller pan sized ones back. Thirty minutes after my first cast, I had more than I cared to clean and called it a day.

What a treat it was to fish those bass. At least three, maybe four times, I could see a bow wave of a rapidly moving object heading towards my lure just beneath the water's surface before it struck. I'm not sure I have ever seen that before outside of a submarine about to break the surface in a movie scene. 

I spent the rest of my morning when I got back home cleaning the fish. I filleted them so they are boneless for eating later. Per my wife's directions, I degilled the heads and saved those. Back in her native country, fish head soup is a delicacy. I like eating the broth, veggies and scraps of fish meat in her fish head soup but she really likes eating the eyes. I have never fought her for them. Too late, I found out I was supposed to save the bones which I had already tossed out to compost. She said they would make good fish broth and indeed they would have. Next time.

It was such fun, I think I might see if I can convince my wife and girls to go with me the next time. I know by doing so, I won't be able to fish as I will be busy untangling, unhooking and just keep the other three lines catching fish. But I've had my fun and it would be nice to see my wife and daughters experience a similar joy of hooking onto a large bass. 

Below was part of supper that night. Pan seared bass with a lemon butter sauce.



Comments

  1. Oh God! I bet that fresh bass was delicious - with lemon butter sauce too! Mmmmmm! They did not die in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, I have not fished for over 40 years, but on our trip to Mt. Goddard a couple of the hikers brought poles and fished for trout. It awakened an emotion I had not had in that period of time and made me perhaps curious if this was something I should try again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up fishing in the mountains where the waters were so clear that one spotted their fish and cast too it instead of blinding casting. Those experiences took a lot of joy out of fishing murky farm ponds. Mostly I fished with my grandfather who was a diehard fisherman whenever he was around for a visit.

      But as happened to you, this experience sort of reawakened something in me and I'm dying to go back as soon as I can fit it in our busy schedule.

      Delete
    2. Ed, having seen what the trout stream were like on our hike, I can see how that would change your view of fishing.

      Delete
  3. I would wonder if pond fish would be healthy to eat, but I know that you would know better. Too many knows? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I shy away from non-ocean caught fish but this pond has a wide buffer on all sides where the incoming water has ample opportunity to get filtered/cleaned. Still, I'm guessing eating a lot of fish out of it might not be the best but since this is the first I've eaten in maybe 6 or 7 years from it, I'm sure I'm safe in my consumption.

      Delete
  4. This is great! It's a pretty good day when you catch a bunch of fish and get to eat them. I love to fish and plan to do much more of it in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm a fair weather fisherman. If it is easy and not to much at any one session, I'll fish.

      Delete
  5. Nice work, Ed!! I might be plant-based, but I sure do like to catch fish for others to eat. Actually I just like to catch fish. I hope your family enjoys a return visit with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fairly certain I could give up red meat easily. I don't eat much of it now. But giving up seafood would be a bit harder for me.

      Delete
  6. Fresh fish, yum. In some cultures the eyes are considered a delicacy but the texture would definitely put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for the texture as I've never tried one. I imagine boba with a harder shell.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, your pan cooked bass looks delicious! Glad you had a fun day. Can't say I've ever done much fishing, but I do love to eat fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat much pond fish but we do get a fair amount of tilapia, salmon and tuna in our diets.

      Delete
  8. How wonderful! My husband was an avid shore fisherman and bringing home fish to eat was a highlight of his life. We eat the eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you can comment on how they taste like?

      Delete
    2. Well, it depends on how you cook the fish. If steamed, the gelatinous part is slurpy and if deep fried, it is more solid with bits of crunch. The inner part is like a hard little ball that you can chew, or just swallow. It is not more tasty than the rest of the fish. The texture is what appeals. The best part of the head is the 2 slivers of super delicious brain. I know this must sound gross to those who don't see fish heads on their plate.
      When I would go out to eat with my haole friends (college professor and best friend), I would have to debone their fish for them because they just want the meat and they couldn't stand to look at the head. lol.
      My youngest daughter loved to suck and slurp up the eyeballs. Yup. Gross.

      Delete
    3. I grew up around whole fried fish, head included so the head doesn't bother me nor the eating of the eyes and brains. The imagined texture part is the only thing to give me pause and honestly, if there were a slew of fish with eyeballs to go around to all that wanted them, I would probably try one. But I know my wife really enjoys it so I just let her have them. Likewise, sometimes she gives me choice parts of other things we eat.

      Delete
    4. P.S. Thanks for the description!

      Delete
  9. My brother and sister-in-law loved to go fishing by the ocean a long while ago. My brother says there are no more fish close to the shore anymore. My grandmother also loved to suck on the fish eyes which we were all happy to have her do. I was really excited for you just reading your post. I can see why your wife loves being married to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems weird to live on a tropical island with no fish near. But I guess I can't say I'm surprised. I don't publicize the location of this pond where I caught these big bass for precisely that same reason that I don't want the bass to disappear. Unfortunately, time has over ridden my desire and they will very well disappear someday soon.

      Delete
  10. I had an elderly friend. I cooked a pan fried trout for him. I thought he was kidding about the eyes. He wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've longed assumed it was an Asian thing. But perhaps it is just a generational thing and I never noticed it among my ancestors.

      Delete

Post a Comment