Updates

With the cooler weather of September finally arriving, I got back to building the last piece of the puzzle for the cabin build project. I am making upper cabinets for the kitchen, one that will go on one side of the sink and two that will go on the other side. Like the lowers, they will be rustic and use many of the same techniques that I used for the lower cabinets. The only issue I had building the carcasses was that half way through the build, my pocket hole jig for drilling the fastener holes to hold everything together got misadjusted. I'm not sure how that happened. I can make things work but I have to now use shorter screws for about half the cabinets to hold things together without pocking through the show side. Not a structural problem but a mental one keeping things straight.

Somewhat surprising, my mother-in-law decided she wanted to go home for a visit. Being a good son-in-law, I immediately purchased them before she could change her mind. She leaves in a few weeks and won't be back until spring. 😀 

As of this writing, we are in a severe drought, the worst in ten years. It wasn't real surprising as our spring was especially dry and all summer long, we got only small rains but timely enough that things continued to grow. I have been wanting to till up an area for our new garden behind our house but right now it is hard as a rock. Right now I am pinning my hopes on a rain headed our way in a few days. If that doesn't happen, I'll have to water it ahead of time just to soften things up so I can till it. I want to get a fall crop planted for cover and to add organic material to what will mostly likely be pretty organic free clay. Fortunately though, our gardens and fruit trees have produced more than we need so as you have seen, our shelves are full. 

Comments

  1. LOL. A good son in law indeed! I liked your doors and the cupboards are turning out great too. We have a saying here. "A good carpenter still makes mistakes.He just has figured out how to cover them.' That being said, we are GREAT carpenters over here. Northsider Dave discussed 'lasagna gardening' over on his blog last week. I think that I might try giving that a try when I figure out the new garden placement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the same saying. I eventually figured out that when I drilled the too close pocket holes, it left a larger hole on the board edge. So I marked all those in pencil and whenever I assembled something from then on and there was a pencil mark, I used a small pocket screw. It worked out but will confuse someone decades from now if they ever go to disassemble them.

      I am going to have to figure out who Northsider Dave is and what lasagna gardening is.

      Delete
  2. You are, indeed, a fine SiL, which I imagine works out well for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed a fine SIL. They were round trip tickets.

      Delete
  3. Bravo on your expeditious ticket-buying skills. :)

    Our garden soil was hard like that last year. This year we've had plenty of moisture -- a refreshing change, literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some updates coming up on that. It took some watering and tilling but it seems to be better soil than I would have guessed.

      Delete
  4. I'm pleased for your good fortune. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a long time for her to stay but avoids the winter which is usually(?) cold and snowy. Glad that the weather is allowing you to do more projects. We're in a cooler phase right now, headed back into the 70s next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure her DIL in the Philippines isn't happy to here the news. We always spend a lot of time commiserating whenever we are together.

      Delete
  6. You are a fine son in law:) Looks like a good project despite the design issue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cabinets are looking good! Sorry about drought conditions. Any chance of rain in the forecast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we got a quarter inch of rain this past weekend and maybe another change this coming weekend. This is typically the dryer part of the year for us so I really don't expect much change until next spring.

      Delete
  8. Ed, you make such great progress.

    I've lived with severe drought and know how difficult it is to garden. I hope your recent rain is signaling a change in that. I don't blame you for wanting your garden in your back yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, our garden has been pretty bountiful this year even without watering other than what we did for a few weeks after planting. I think the real pain will be next year when it is already bone dry to start with. Last time I heard, we are already a foot short of rain just this year alone which translates into something like 12 feet of snow. The last few years we've barely even got a foot of total snowfall.

      Delete
  9. OMG! You're building something else! I go away for a month and you're building another project. So amazing. Of course, you ARE an excellent son-in-law and I KNOW your wife is very grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment