Milestone/Millstone

 

I recently had one of those birthdays that end in zero, a number I hadn't been looking forward too. All my previous birthdays ending in zero, I have been able to say I might still have the same number or more years left on this earth. However, this one is one in which if I were to double my age, a minor miracle would be necessary. I think my wife was sensing all these thoughts going through my head so she planned a three day weekend away from home to celebrate and take my mind off of things for awhile.

So we drove to the west across our fair state and ended up in an urban city in a neighboring state where our first order of business after checking into our motel room downtown was to go to a nearby farm to table restaurant where we had reservations. Dolce served us a four course chef tasting menu meal complete with a birthday card and a small bottle of Champaign. The meal was delicious.

We drove back to our motel to park the car and then walked across the street to a nearby brewing company bar where we had tickets to a comedy show. The tickets were pretty much worthless as there was only seating for about 20 people total but we got there just in time and claimed the last two seats at the bar. For an hour we were entertained by four different comedians. Perhaps because I hadn't drank the Champaign and only drank one pint of a brew called "Tough As Nails" which was pretty light, the comedians were only okay and not very memorable. 

The next morning, we decided to go to mass at a nearby church only to find out it had been cancelled. So instead, we went downtown and found a coffee shop where we could eat breakfast and enjoy the morning sights of the Friday going on around us. I took my wife to an outdoor mall where she did some shopping and I mostly read a book before we ate light lunch at a nearby sandwich shop. The reason for the light lunch was due to our dinner reservation later in the evening. We took a siesta at the motel and then got all slicked up and drove across town to auCourant for a six course tasting menu meal. It started off with a bang with a off menu extra bite course and ended up with another off menu extra bite so in all, we had eight courses, all of them exquisite in taste. All courses were made from locally sourced foods which made everything even better.

After dinner, we walked back to a bar right next to our vehicle where the main course of my birthday weekend was served up. A band, The Nadas, that I have followed since their first concert back when we all attended the same college, was starting up a tour for their latest album that they released the day before.  I saw them in concert dozens of time while in college and then probably a couple dozen times since then over the years, including a New Year's eve party I blogged about at the start of this year. We had tickets, which once again, really didn't appear necessary and by the time we got there it was standing room only but as you can see above, our standing spot was immediately up next to the stage along one wall. It was a great concert though a bit loud for my taste, especially the opening act, and my ears rang until sometime the next day. Next time I'll need to take some ear plugs.

After the concert, my wife picked out a CD from the merchandise table that wasn't a band CD but a solo CD from one of the lead singers. She said she wanted it signed and since this was a pretty low key group/concert, I suggested we just walk back to the dressing room and ask. We did just that. Long story short, my wife had written to the band asking them to sing Happy Birthday to me personally during the concert. It had been written on a sticky note and stuck to the dressing room mirror as a reminder as we soon saw. Unfortunately, they had forgotten to do so but remembered as soon as my wife walked in. They immediately sang me Happy Birthday in perfect harmony and then the entire band signed our new CD. 

The following morning, after a slow start, we headed back into Iowa and made our way to the capital city where Restaurant Week was going on. Restaurant Week is where all restaurants put up special menus and promotions to celebrate their restaurant. We went to a restaurant, known for their farm to table Midwest style breakfasts, and ate brunch. I ended up having the southern shrimp and grits plate with two poached eggs which was extremely tasty. 

Finally we drove home where my two kids surprised me with a birthday cake and gifts along with gold balloon words listing out my age. My wife took that moment to tell me a friend of ours that lives down near the farm garden, had texted to see if I could help him out with a project later that evening. Perhaps it was the second cake in the refrigerator or the fact that friend had never once called me for help in 20 years I've known him and he has lots of friends that live many miles closer than I do, but I immediately knew that my birthday wasn't over yet. We drove down where all the Filipino-American community of which I am part, helped to celebrate my birthday along with two others born in August. (Yes, you are reading this a few weeks after the fact.) There was plenty of food and lots of good conversation. 

It was a great long weekend. Along the way, dozens of friends, family members, a dentist, a financial advisor, several restaurants and a rock band all helped me to celebrate. I guess I couldn't ask for more. I'm a lucky man.

Comments

  1. That's a pretty good 80th birthday weekend. 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to your wife for stellar celebratory plans! Happy birthday Ed. 🎂🥂🎉🥳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is way better at that than I am. Fortunately I have a year before she reaches the same age.

      Delete
  3. What an excellent birthday weekend--full of fun times and great food! It sounds like you were well-celebrated. That's a clever attempt at a surprise party; those are difficult to arrange! My friends did one for my 50th too. I was having a big party and told them that all I really wanted was a small group for a BBQ and games. So, they surprised me with that! The big party was fun too but I really enjoyed my first and only surprise party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife gave me a surprise party when I turned 40 and it truly was a surprise to me. It was just a meal at a local restaurant with about a half dozen close friends who showed up.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like your wife put lots of thought into your birthday weekend! Good for her!! Happy whatever zero birthday it was! I suspect that your were the big 50...so you are just a kid yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am to many a blogger on here though I've been blogging longer than most.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I could but not sure I would want to. 90 seems to be the limit in my family where things go from good to miserable.

      Delete
  6. Ed, Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had an excellent birthday getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an amazing birthday! I'm laughing at Anvil's comment above. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great weekend. Do all Filipino communities have the monthly birthday parties, I wonder. Ours does too. I think it is such a wonderful community building event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seem to have only two or three a year from the most vocal birthday celebrates. We celebrate July and usually September without fail but this is a first for August celebrates.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, Ed. Do you know what a milestone is? A rock that's 5280 feet around :). -Jeff https://fromarockyhillside.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, and I'm carrying it another 24,901 miles this year!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Ed! Wow! At this rate, I'll bet you're looking forward to your next birthday that ends in a 0. You are very well loved! Yes, you are a lucky man, indeed. And 50 is very young indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment