Preservation

 

Many years ago when my great uncle died, my uncle inherited the photo album of my great grandfather of his time over in Europe during World War I. Evidently my great grandfather took a camera with him overseas and then took the time to organize those photos in an album and label most of them when he got back home. I view it as a valuable treasure and I'm sure it is probably considered to be a treasure by others as I can't believe many of these probably still exist.

Back when my uncle inherited it, he let me borrow it and at the time, I painstakingly scanned all the pictures. I still have those pictures and occasionally look through them but it just was never the same as looking through the album. The album provides context and on many pages, handwritten notes in my great grandfather's writing. My digitized collection is just photographs with some information added to their file names to mimic the writing.

As we were sorting through my recently departed grandmother's things, I think my uncle must have realized how important family history is to me and disappeared into his bedroom and returned with my great grandfather's war album. I was shocked when he gave it to me and said I should keep it. I didn't argue with him.

But in the years since I copied those pictures, the album is getting to be in really rough shape and it falling apart. It needs to be preserved and it needs to be done immediately or there will be nothing left. I ordered some archival sleeves that contain no acid or PVC in them and a binder to contain them for now. I think as I go through and put the pages in those sleeves, I'll also try to do full page high resolution scans and perhaps try to recreate the book through an online service so that one can look through it instead of the very fragile actual album. (Just opening it for these two pictures caused a half dozen small pieces to break off of it!)

I'm not sure what other steps I should take. These albums aren't acid free nor was the paste they used to glue in the pictures. Despite that, the pictures are still in fairly decent shape. But I suspect nothing I do will be able to preserve it forever other than scanning and recreating so that will be my main focus for now. 


Below is one of my favorite pictures from the album that I scanned all those years ago. It shows my great grandfather on the left presumably on one of the deserted parts of the battlefield. 



Comments

  1. What a treasure! Do your best with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to a hot spell last week, I was able to get is all scanned and put into an online album that is being printed in book form. This winter, I'll probably spend some time digesting various pictures.

      Delete
  2. Those are amazing pictures, Ed. What a treasure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too and hope that with the high resolution scans, I can preserve it past my presence in this world.

      Delete
  3. Amazing! I love that you’re digitizing the entire album with new high res tech. Something I wish I could’ve done in the 90s when I assembled my own family book. Who knows where the originals are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Digitizing was a process in itself due to the format being larger than the typical flatbed scanner but I found a way to make it work fairly well and I am pleased with the results.

      Delete
  4. Is there a WWI museum anywhere near you that might be interested in it? A place like that would probably have preservation methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't that I'm aware. There is a navy base (yes in Iowa) with I think a small museum but since it was a World War II era base, I'm not sure they would be interested.

      Delete
  5. This is a treasure and I salute your efforts to preserve it! I love old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a better word to describe than the others already have - treasure! I have an old family album, but so many of the photos are unidentified. I know who some of them are, but have no way to know about the others. And I hate to guess. Great idea about digitizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my other grandmother died last year, I looked through a couple albums of her that had wooden pages and the pictures were really old. Nobody in the room could identify the vast majority of people in the pictures. That is why when I digitize them, I label everyone I can identify to make it easier on future generations.

      Delete
  7. What a treasure for someone as interested in the family history as you are. One of TIm's cousins put together a booklet of anecdotes from his mother's side of the family and gave copies to everyone for Christmas one year. They are treasured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they were more accurate than most of the anecdotes that my grandparents shared with me. Most of those were wishful thinking or just had a bit of truth hidden in the middle.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Especially ones with your ancestors in them.

      Delete

Post a Comment