Mish Mash

 

Every morning before the heat, I have been progressing on the cabin cabinet project. I made the doors for the lower front of the cabinet. They aren't your traditional style with a panel in the middle but will instead have hardware cloth for a more rustic look. Before I put the hardware cloth in though I am applying finish to the surfaces. Above I have 2 or 3 coats of a wipe on polyurethane and as I write this, I just applied the fourth coat and will probably do a couple more yet today before calling it good. Although not a real big fan of polyurethane, it has its uses, including high wear surfaces that will see a lot of water and wiping action. Unseen on the backside of the door frames are lots of joinery I had to do to make pockets for the hinges and a rabbet for the hardware cloth. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say the drought here has broken but since returning from our vacation, we seem to be getting a shower every two or three days that will leave behind another 1/4 or 1/3 of an inch of rain. While not enough to recharge the lower soil layers, it has been enough to keep everything green. Keen observers might notice the pea sized hail. I was standing there deciding if I needed to hop in and pull it inside the garage right quick but the pea sized never got larger and petered out quickly and so the van stayed outside and suffered no damage.


The small frequent rains has meant the garden is thriving in the produce department. The cukes are really hitting their stride and I probably have 30 pints of various styles pickled already. The peppers are starting to kick in along with the egg plant and some bitter gourd which must have been underneath. Our potato experiment from Row 7 who breads their potatoes for taste and not storability, are starting to wither so we will be digging them up soon. We dug up on hill just to see how they were doing and they are probably as big as they will get. My MIL's cabbage experiment was a huge success as we picked three more heads of it, all good sized and dense with no worms. 

It is times like this I wish we lived closer to Broadway. Here Lies Love is a musical about the life of Imelda Marcos told in an unflinching way to make sure younger generations never forget about what could happen again. The average age in the Philippines is young enough that they weren't yet alive during the Marcos regime which probably goes a long way to explaining why Ferdinand Marcos's son Bongbong (Ferdinand Marcos Jr.) is now president of that country. 

My understanding of this musical is that it has received less than stellar reviews from the traditional theater crowds, partly due to the open set design where the audience can dance on the floor during the show and partly because not many care about or understand the Filipino culture. But the Filipino reviews rave about it.

We briefly thought about going there one weekend for a showing before it closes for good but really couldn't justify the expense of it. Instead, I will just wait and hope that someone made a DVD of it and can purchase it at a future date. 

Comments

  1. Ed, feel grateful that you are getting rain and seeing some kind of results. We are still smoldering away.

    The garden yield looks excellent!

    I had no idea there was a musical about Imelda Marcos (I am old enough to remember her). I am sure that it will find its way onto media at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother was recently out in the same state as the Ranch fighting fires. He did his time and is back home again but it seems like there is very little relief out there anymore.

      Delete
  2. Mish mashes can be good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate hail. I'm glad yours fizzled before it got any bigger. One of my kids had baseball sized hail earlier in the summer. It did a lot of damage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a new found respect after it totaled my last vehicle and that was only slightly larger than a golf ball. I can't fathom baseball sized!

      Delete
  4. I've read about that musical and I'm curious about it given David Byrne's participation. Imelda Marcos sounds like a terrific subject for a show! Surely she must sing a rapturous song about her shoe collection?

    Glad you're getting some rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious if she does. I went to her museum in northern Luzon and didn't see any mention of her shoes or her exile after the revolution. Half the museum was dedicated to her 12 day romance and the other half for all the humanitarian efforts her husband accomplished while as a Senator and "President."

      Delete
  5. Periodic rain is perfect for gardens (and lawns!); we've had a few days of showers. Not enough but as you said, enough to green up the lawn, such that I need to mow soon. We do need to learn from history so that we don't repeat the same mistakes/horrors. Very apt for today's world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the Philippines is already a lost cause as Bongbong Marcos is currently in office. Maybe it will end better than it did for his parents.

      Delete
  6. I once saw Imelda Marcos in person - she is a giant of a woman! Lots of makeup and hairspray. I do believe she thought she was royalty and deserved the perks of being above all commoners. Interesting family. Interesting country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what little I know of her, I don't disagree.

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of framed hardware cloth for the cabinet doors. It will make lovely rustic touch. And the rain is fantastic to see!

    I hope they do come out with a DVD of Here Lies Love. Are they planning any sort of tour? I'm afraid I don't know much about Imelda Marcos except for her passion for shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has been on tour over the years before returning for a last run on Broadway. I'm guessing when it close there, that will be the end of it except for hopefully a DVD.

      Delete

Post a Comment