Changing of the Guard

 

As I wrote about before, a wind storm during our vacation blew over our old wedding orchard peach tree. There is a weak spot in the trunk and it bent at that point though not breaking it. We are hoping the peaches that are still plentiful on all the branches will still continue to ripen but I'm guessing, winter or pests will surely do it in and this will be the last year for it.


Our local garden center had a promotion all spring where if you bought something, they gave you a sealed envelope with a randomized coupon in it to be opened at a specific week in July. Well that weekend came and one of ours was 30% off anything and so we used it to purchase a new peach tree for our home orchard. The home orchard consists of four apple trees, two sour cherry trees, a plumcot tree and now this peach tree. I planted it near the two apples trees I planted earlier this year.

As an added bonus, this new peach tree was loaded full of ripe, ready to pick peaches which we did. The ate the damaged one and a few others already and they were very delicious so I'm hoping for some kind winters so that we may get more of them in the coming years. 

Comments

  1. The savings came through at the right time. I hope you do get some peaches from the fallen tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. We did pick the peaches but they weren't quite ripe. We did so because some sort of beetle had invaded the tree and were making quick work of the peaches. Hopefully what we picked will go ahead and ripen.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, those peaches look scrumptious!

    It's always sad to see trees fail, especially fruit trees. Nice to see the replacement. Is there any reason you only have one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was all they had left at the time. I have room for one more if another one comes through in a few years. I would like to stagger them so when one dies, I still have another until it can be replaced.

      Delete
  3. Those peaches look amazing! I haven't had a decent peach in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, until those peaches!

      Delete
    2. Those peaches look much better than what you get in the store.

      Delete
    3. They were, mostly because they were picked at the peak of ripeness unlike store peaches.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous bowl of peaches!! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those peaches look so sweet and wonderful! We don't get fresh fruit as good as that here in Hawaii. But we do have really delicious mangoes, which are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought about that but I'm guessing you are right. Unless they are grown nearby and gotten into your pantry quickly, it will never be as good. That is why our mangoes here are rarely any good.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the loss of your tree (and it does look like there are good fruit on it), but glad you got a new tree planted. -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It lived a long life. I only wish we had fenced it in sooner so we could have enjoyed the fruit a lot longer than the few years we have.

      Delete
  7. OK, you know I'm totally envious! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice plus to getting a new tree!

      Delete
  8. I love fresh peaches! They are gorgeous. Glad you have a new tree to replace the old one at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And best of all, the new tree is freestone where as the old one was a clingstone.

      Delete

Post a Comment